Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky8

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
as the title says i have a HD TV downstairs (fron Novatech so not a major make) and want to connect it up so i can play music through the surround sound. Help please

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The cheapest way I can think of is to get one of these cables:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882203024

Plug the one end into your MacBook's headphone jack and plug the other end into your TV (assuming it has a free input).

A more expensive but maybe nicer way would be to buy an Airport Express. Connect the Airport Express to your TV using a cable like the one above, then your MacBook would connect to it via WiFi. This assumes you're using iTunes for your music, and would let you play music on your TV wirelessly (from anywhere in your house), versus having your MacBook tethered to your TV via the cable.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
It depends on what inputs your TV has. Many have a DVI connector, or an HDMI input.. in which case you could get a mini-dvi to dvi adapter from Apple, and then a DVI to DVI cable to go to your TV (or a DVI to HDMI if you have the HDMI input).

..Unless you were asking how to do it wirelessly (ie: leave your computer upstairs and stream music downstairs), in which case the AppleTV or Airport Express might be your best bet.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
HA! I just did this. I did it with a mini DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI cable. Sound doesn't come through the DVI, so you'd need a cable to plug into you TV/sound system that fits in the MacBook. The hardest part is getting the TV set up to recieve the signal and display it, but after that, it's easy.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
HA! I just did this. I did it with a mini DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI cable. Sound doesn't come through the DVI, so you'd need a cable to plug into you TV/sound system that fits in the MacBook. The hardest part is getting the TV set up to recieve the signal and display it, but after that, it's easy.

does it come out clear or does it seem bloated?

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Oh, there was a little plaing around with the resolution, but I didn't really have any problems once I got that down. One must remember it's a TV (~8 ft. viewing distance, monitor ~3 ft.) so it'll always be a little weird to use as a monitor. Simply, it's clear enough, but if anything a little fuzzy between what's comfortable for reading, and what's too small to read (but good for movies and pictures).

tarheelfaithful

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
Macbook to tv connection is fuzzy

I have a question as well if someone can help me. I am trying to connect my macbook to my television. The tv is just a standard tube television which is a few years old and only has connections for s-video, and the standard yellow jack for the image display. I am trying to do a presentation from Keynote using the television as my screen. I bought a mini DVI converter which has two jacks: one is an s-video and the other the standard yellow jack. I have tried hooking up my macbook to the tv with with both connections and neither give me a picture on the tv screen. Its like something is wrong with my resolution or something on my computer. I can tell that the tv is trying to mirror what is on my macbook, but it looks really fuzzy and it looks like the image is tiled. It is also really dark. I tried a few different resolution combinations and nothing seems to come in clear enough to be recognizable. I also tried this on another tv with the same result. Someone please help! Is there a certain resolution I need to be set on to make this work? There has to be a way to do this. Thanks

gdminch

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
Mac Book to TV

I have the same problem. I will be awaiting a solution. The Mini DVI to DVI is OK if you have the socket available on the TV. The one I have does not.

FrenchieV

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Help Please????

Hi, was hoping someone could help. I have a macbook 3.1 2 years old and a LOGIK 1080i television. I have purchased a HDMI cable and when i connect it my screen changes and the resolution changes but nothing happens on the TV screen? I have mirroring on and my TV can support 1080i on 60 Hz.

Does anyone know what i am doing wrong please?

Loonitunes

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
Connecting a Macbook to a TV

Hi

I know answering this may mean going round in circles but could pls spell it out for me as I'm new to all this - as to how and which cable I need to connect my Macbook (10.4.11 version) which has a Mini-DVI port to my new Samsung TV which has
HDMI
VGA (15pin D-Sub)
ports

I thought a DVI to HDMI cable would do BUT I could be sooo wrong!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.