Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
I'm looking for a WinAmp type program for the Macintosh? Are there any that are real good? Or should I just continue to use iTunes?

thanks.

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
err.. i'd go with iTunes :D

just curious, why? I thought WinAmp programs took up less memory than itunes? I'm always looking for the best thing, and was just curious if a WinAmp type program would be better than iTunes.

Retired
May 16, 2006
just curious, why? I thought WinAmp programs took up less memory than itunes? I'm always looking for the best thing, and was just curious if a WinAmp type program would be better than iTunes.

There is a decent looking iTunes competitor called Songbird in the works, but now it is too buggy...its made by Mozilla (the people behind Firefox and Thunderbird)

It will have plug-ins and skins (called feathers) if that is what you're looking for.

I'm not so keen on how clunky iTunes feels, but fortunately I have Quicksilver to control it for me :) This is done using the iTunes plug-in...

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
There is a decent looking iTunes competitor called Songbird in the works, but now it is too buggy...its made by Mozilla (the people behind Firefox and Thunderbird)

It will have plug-ins and skins (called feathers) if that is what you're looking for.

I'm not so keen on how clunky iTunes feels, but fortunately I have Quicksilver to control it for me :) This is done using the iTunes plug-in...

Personally i think they way Quicksilver works with iTunes is hell of a lot slower than using sizzling keys. For example i have F2 as previous track F3 as next track etc. so much quicker and less obtrusive than bringing up Quicksilver.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

I have tried that, and personally I found with my library that it was really slow, though this was almost a year ago now.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Personally i think they way Quicksilver works with iTunes is hell of a lot slower than using sizzling keys. For example i have F2 as previous track F3 as next track etc. so much quicker and less obtrusive than bringing up Quicksilver.

The Quicksilver iTunes plug-in is really fast for me on a macbook 2.0GHz with 1GB RAM, and with Sizzling keys, I can't just type to search (I have to press return at the end), I like how QS resets my search after a specified time (0.6 seconds for me), and how I can search one word and use the arrow keys to navigate through the options...

I also already have QS running, so its not like its slowing my machine down anymore, while having Sizzling keys would a bit :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The Quicksilver iTunes plug-in is really fast for me on a macbook 2.0GHz with 1GB RAM, and with Sizzling keys, I can't just type to search (I have to press return at the end), I like how QS resets my search after a specified time (0.6 seconds for me), and how I can search one word and use the arrow keys to navigate through the options...

I also already have QS running, so its not like its slowing my machine down anymore, while having Sizzling keys would a bit :)

Well if must be even quicker for me then on my iMac 2.16 with 2GB RAM:D

I really want to give quicksilver all responsibilities but it is far too buggy and my current setup covers most of what i want quicksilver to do anyway.

Winterfell

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Cog is the closest media player to Winamp that I've yet found on the Mac. I don't like iTunes, so I use Cog.

I just wish Winamp would make a Mac port already. :p

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN

I know this is off-topic, but how do you have your QS setup?

I use QS to control my iTunes the same way SizzlingKeys does, only through QS I have it setup as a trigger. No need to invoke QS to use it.

For good measure, I have my Next/Previous track setup to be Ctrl+Cmd+Left/Right Arrow, and Play/Pause setup to Ctrl+Cmd+Down Arrow.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I thought WinAmp programs took up less memory than itunes? I'm always looking for the best thing, and was just curious if a WinAmp type program would be better than iTunes.
Is iTunes not sufficient for you? It's fine to seek out better alternatives, but, unless there's something Winamp has that you want, why bother? Does it really matter these days if iTunes takes up a little more RAM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.