Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 19, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple Inc.: Strategic Misstep, Or Supreme Confidence?

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple Inc.: Strategic Misstep, Or Supreme Confidence?
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 19, 2007, 09:35 PM   #2
poppe
macrumors 68020

Interesting article. Thought it was going to be better.

The iPhone was release at the perfect time, I think. I didn't know a single Apple follower who wasn't watching the updates and the video of the announcement at Macworld. Another thing to note is that I've heard that Macworld got more coverage the CES (which was right around that same time). If you have the next big thing (or what Apple would hope for) seems pretty logical to release the product at your biggest time of the year.

Had Apple say release the product announcement a few days before the FCC made the documents official then they would not have drummed up so much media coverage.

I think the only the that has really hurt the iPhone is the fact that there is a little anti-iPhone going on. I constantly hear about the iPhone and am constantly asking myself when is this media craze going to be over... The article does point out this sort of and I agree that the time between Macworld the release are supposed to happen does seem like a long time and are causing some anti-iPhone feelings.

Another thing, the article talks about how apple doesn't have its ducks in a row with the iPhone which I think the article is mistaken. I think Apple knew the FCC approval would take long and I think they knew that this was going to sell like hot cakes. By giving themselves almost 6 months i bet they have been able to really start ramping up production (this is just my guess), thought I bet there will still be shortages.

Last edited by Doctor Q; May 19, 2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: no need to quote first post
poppe is offline   0
Old May 19, 2007, 09:42 PM   #3
RichP
macrumors 68000

The extended release date is testament to how strong people want this product. Its been talked about for 6 months. And I agree with Apple, it was better to release it before the FCC did.

People thought the original iPod was too expensive, but it took.
People think the phone is too expensive, but it will still sell.

Companies will *attempt* to reverse engineer and come out with competing products, and fail. Heck, they still cant emulate or surpass the iPod, and it has been on the market for over half a decade. The phone has many more tricks up its sleeve, and a lot more patents.
Old May 19, 2007, 09:52 PM   #4
poppe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
The extended release date is testament to how strong people want this product. Its been talked about for 6 months. And I agree with Apple, it was better to release it before the FCC did.

People thought the original iPod was too expensive, but it took.
People think the phone is too expensive, but it will still sell.

Companies will *attempt* to reverse engineer and come out with competing products, and fail. Heck, they still cant emulate or surpass the iPod, and it has been on the market for over half a decade. The phone has many more tricks up its sleeve, and a lot more patents.
I'm excited for the iPhone 2.0. When that is released then I will be buying!
Old May 19, 2007, 09:57 PM   #5
SMM
macrumors 65816

I really dislike titles where the reader/viewer is asked to decide, which of two choices the author has concluded there are.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:50 AM   #6
montex
macrumors regular

Sweet Irony

This is quite obviously a hit piece. The claims are so weakly supported that it must be embarrassing to the editors of IndustryWeek - if they have any journalistic integrity, that is.

But no matter how flimsy their criticism, they seem to unwittingly contribute more buzz to the iPhone. Sure, they're likely just trolling for hits. But their message is counterproductive to the act. All this blather about iPhone only increases the publics awareness of it. So many more people now know about the iPhone who never would have, had Steve Jobs introduced it much later.

iPhone will be a watershed event that changes the entire phone industry. It's gonna be huge! And you're gonna love it.
Old May 20, 2007, 03:46 AM   #7
x86isslow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by montex View Post
This is quite obviously a hit piece. The claims are so weakly supported that it must be embarrassing to the editors of IndustryWeek - if they have any journalistic integrity, that is.
RTFA.

It never says anything bad about the iPhone. The article articulates exactly what many people on this forum said in the aftermath of the keynote:
1) Apple should have released *something* for immediate sale.
2) AppleTV was totally totally overshadowed by iPhone
3) It was very unusual for Apple to have NO new shipping products. They traditionally update iLife and iWork in January, nothing this year.
4) Apple looked a little silly for not having worked out the iPhone trademark before the event.

Don't go gunning after the reporter's integrity unless they actually pull an Enderle.
x86isslow is offline   0
Old May 20, 2007, 09:29 AM   #8
yagran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppe View Post
I'm excited for the iPhone 2.0. When that is released then I will be buying!
OMG these posts are so annoying! dont waste peoples time telling us, we dont care if your waiting for the next iPhone! if your waiting for the next stop spamming up iPhone version 1.0 threads! why are you even reading this if your so sure your waiting for the 2nd version..bludy hell
Old May 20, 2007, 09:44 AM   #9
emptyCup
macrumors 65816

The FCC just approved the phone a few days ago. Jobs was right in saying it would take time, and that Apple wanted to make the announcement before it leaked from public documents. The delay also allowed the first wave of criticism to be forgotten (although there is a vast storehouse of humiliating quotes waiting to be resurrected if the phone is a success). Finally, it gave people who want the iPhone another 6 months on their existing contracts. The timing was good, I'd say.
emptyCup is offline   0
Old May 20, 2007, 10:20 AM   #10
rjwill246
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to rjwill246
Quote:
Originally Posted by x86isslow View Post
RTFA.

Don't go gunning after the reporter's integrity unless they actually pull an Enderle.
It's not an Enderle in tone but it is just as vacuous. There was NOTHING of any note or interest in this article and like article's that are all about conjecture with the writer's self-importance masquerading as some sort of special insight, you end up with potentially damaging rubbish that sends Apple stock down again as idiot investors (those acting first thing in th am) along with their advisors conclude that Apple has made huge mistakes. "Overshadowing" the AppleTV!!! Hello?- there are only a few minutes to present at these Apple events. Apple's decision to spend all the time on the iPhone has paid of in spades.
SJ, right again.... dingbat anal-yst, wrong! So, what else is news?
rjwill246 is offline   0
Old May 20, 2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Kirkmedia
macrumors member

Who do you think you are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagran View Post
OMG these posts are so annoying! dont waste peoples time telling us, we dont care if your waiting for the next iPhone! if your waiting for the next stop spamming up iPhone version 1.0 threads! why are you even reading this if your so sure your waiting for the 2nd version..bludy hell
Why don't you stop spamming up this blog? Your reply is much more irritating.
Kirkmedia is offline   0
Old May 20, 2007, 11:26 AM   #12
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Quote:
And, I'm sure we'll all take you seriously for starting off your thread with "OMG", which happens to be the only time you managed to hit the Shift key (besides in iPhone).
Old May 20, 2007, 03:01 PM   #13
yagran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkmedia View Post
Why don't you stop spamming up this blog? Your reply is much more irritating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark View Post
And, I'm sure we'll all take you seriously for starting off your thread with "OMG", which happens to be the only time you managed to hit the Shift key (besides in iPhone).
*sigh* more annoying comments...
everyone knows what OMG stands for, so whats your point?
and since when is this an article about correct GRAMMA, its about the iPhone ver1, which is what my point was about. people these days. p.s. this isnt a blog kirkmedia

Last edited by yagran; May 20, 2007 at 03:07 PM.
yagran is offline   0
Old May 20, 2007, 03:23 PM   #14
poppe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'm not spamming up iPhone threads. You are welcome to look up all the threads I am in and will see that I have made about 3 comments total on about 2 iPhone related threads.

You comment, as many have said is the annoying comment. Don't worry, I know you don't care if I m getting the iPhone version 2, I still said it and will say it again. I am waiting for the version 2 iPhone and guess what I bet some one cares; OMG.
Old May 20, 2007, 04:31 PM   #15
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post

...Companies will *attempt* to reverse engineer and come out with competing products, and fail. Heck, they still cant emulate or surpass the iPod, and it has been on the market for over half a decade. The phone has many more tricks up its sleeve, and a lot more patents.
Exactly, Apple got to control how the iPhone's existence was made known allowing Jobs to do a slick keynote speech and show all the cool things the iPod could do rather than let some FCC wonk expose the product first.

Furthermore, Apple merely exposed the idea of how the product would work, actual implementation is a totally different game altogether.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:52 PM   #16
Rocketman
macrumors 603

This corporation is known in the public by a single word. Conforming to that is smart.

The Apple FCC submission was dated March 8, 2007.

Last edited by Rocketman; May 20, 2007 at 05:57 PM.
Rocketman is offline   0
Old May 21, 2007, 07:15 AM   #17
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Apple simply had to announce the iPhone before the FCC articles got into the wild, had they not, instead of a charismatic spech by Steve, we would have gotten some guy submitting it to Digg with the title, "Apple to release phone. TEH SUX0RZ!"
Old May 22, 2007, 02:21 PM   #18
x86isslow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwill246 View Post
It's not an Enderle in tone but it is just as vacuous. There was NOTHING of any note or interest in this article and like article's that are all about conjecture with the writer's self-importance masquerading as some sort of special insight, you end up with potentially damaging rubbish that sends Apple stock down again as idiot investors (those acting first thing in th am) along with their advisors conclude that Apple has made huge mistakes. "Overshadowing" the AppleTV!!! Hello?- there are only a few minutes to present at these Apple events. Apple's decision to spend all the time on the iPhone has paid of in spades.
SJ, right again.... dingbat anal-yst, wrong! So, what else is news?
The AppleTV wasn't ready to be shipped til almost the first week of March. They didn't have to release it in the iPhone's mongo shadow. They could easily have released it to far more fanfare a week before at CES or a week after, when the whole world wasn't still reeling from the iPhone's introduction.
x86isslow is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion