Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Closed Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:30 PM   #26
PJonHar
macrumors newbie

Yes!!

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofbow View Post
Hi. Sure thing.

First, to reiterate, drop the "rar" program file from the "rarosx" folder onto the terminal window. Then make sure there's a space, then type "r" (without the quotes). Then make sure there's another space. Then drop the file you want repaired onto the terminal window (it'll give the path and name of the file). Then make sure there's another space, and type "Users/yourname/Desktop" or wherever you want the fixed file placed. It may be easier to just drop the folder where you want it placed onto the terminal window again so there's no chance at typos.

Then hit "return" and the repair scan will start. if the file has a recovery record, it will say that it was found almost immediately. Then it goes about repairing the file. Depending on the size of the file, it may take a couple minutes.

Note that the file will have the prefix "fixed" appended to the beginning of the filename. You'll need to delete that once the repair process has completed before you attempt to join the files again.

That should do the trick!
PJonHar is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:58 AM   #27
uhanepono
macrumors newbie

Hi all, Call me silly but I just can't figure it out . I went tot he website and looked around and found only a file for os2 and for power macs. I downloaded the app for os2. I tried to use the terminal method but came up with nothing. I think I need more detailed instructions, not being a very very savvy person about terminal and such. First - where on the website is the item I should download an what is it's name? I am running snow leopard on a mac book pro from 2010. thans for your help! Uhane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-09-06 at 7.52.48 PM.png
Views:	17
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	356190  
uhanepono is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:44 AM   #28
Dedalus27
macrumors newbie

Hmm ... :-( no way at all in my case. But here my sad experience.
I downloaded a file.rar and the Finder showed a 430Mb file, but when I opened it I didn't see anything inside.
Totally empty (!!)
So reading here about this trouble, I downloaded the Command Line Tool from (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm) and
at the first attempt, nothing ... no "rebuilt.file.rar"
So in Terminal I tried this way:

Code:
% cd (path/to/corrupted_file_rar/)
% for i in *.rar; do (path/to/cli_rar/rar) r "$i"; done
"path/to/and_so_on" ... just dragging the item from Finder's windows, and at last after a while I got the "rebuilt.file.rar".

Wow, opening this "rebuilt.file.rar" I saw its content. BUT ... extracting the files I always got "wrong checksum".
Even using repair options on Windows XP, I got a CRC error and extraction failed. Sad end of my experience !..
Dedalus27 is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:49 AM   #29
jammy246
macrumors newbie

Hello,
Just relax; you can easily repair your damaged RAR file by making use of RAR repair tool. Few days back, even I was stuck in the same problem and was wondering how to fix RAR CRC error? At that time this utility helped me to repair my damaged RAR file and recover all my data. So why donít you try this software? I hope this tool will help you too.
All the best,
Jammy
jammy246 is offline   0
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:21 AM   #30
jaseofspades
macrumors newbie

damaged rar file

I was really hopeful with repairing/saving a corrupt RAR file I had but when going through the terminal steps listed all I got was the message 'Bad CPU type in executable'
Does this mean my file isn't recoverable?

Thanks
J
jaseofspades is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store