Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old May 23, 2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Dagless
macrumors Core

Confused with videos

A month or so ago I began ripping my DVDs and putting them into iTunes. Everything seemed fine, the videos were good quality and file sizes were quite nice. All in H.264, about 1000kbps on the video side.
But I get an 80gb iPod Video in the hope of watching these films and TV shows on the go. Only they don't copy over. I right click and convert them to iPod. After a lengthy process I find that the file sizes have actually shot up, along with the bitrate to 1500kbps as an M4V file.

I don't know what I've done! I've tried reading up on FAQs but they seem to be written last year and support low resolution and bitrates (even though my iPod is playing files that surpass these claimed max figures).

I'm going away tomorrow for a few days and I'd like to push a big shiny button that will re-encode my library and keep file sizes low and bitrates low. Is there such button? What about prevention, what's the standard for video files with these 5.5G iPods?

Cheers all!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod