Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old May 24, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1
MacSurge
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to MacSurge
MacBook Gets Internet Anywhere?

From a friend I heard that the Macbook can get internet anywhere using a bluetooth access point.. He says he uses his cellphone.. Is this true.. Is there any other way the Macbook can get internet access anywhere!

Thanks for your help!

- Regards
Old May 24, 2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Yes, it's true. You just use your phone as a modem via Bluetooth.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:37 AM   #3
damir.hara
macrumors newbie

Can someone explain this into detail?
damir.hara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4
MacSurge
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damir.hara View Post
Can someone explain this into detail?
Exactly what I was going to ask.. Can you use a phone as an example.. do I need to hook up any wires or anything..

Thanks

-----Regards
Old May 24, 2007, 11:46 AM   #5
lil' brudder
macrumors 6502

The way it works is you connect to your bluetooth enabled cell phone and dial-up (yes, dial-up) to your ISP (dial-up service required) and use your cell phone as your phone line/modem. (takes minutes)
lil' brudder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' brudder View Post
The way it works is you connect to your bluetooth enabled cell phone and dial-up (yes, dial-up) to your ISP (dial-up service required) and use your cell phone as your phone line/modem. (takes minutes)
I was talking about a data plan...
Old May 24, 2007, 12:13 PM   #7
MacSurge
macrumors member

Has anyone actually done this before.. lol.. whoever has please do share your experience with it, and if possible use as much description as possible!

Thanks

------Regards
Old May 24, 2007, 12:41 PM   #8
FreakinSyco
macrumors regular

Ive never attempted it with my macbook.. but with my Cingular 8125 cellphone I simply connect it via USB and I can then use the EDGE connection. Its high latency but decent thruput.
FreakinSyco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 01:01 PM   #9
kellen
macrumors 68020

Did it with my treo 650 through cingular using the bluetooth connection. Its not fast as I dont' have a 3g connection, but would be fine for internet when you really need it. Probably comparable to dial up.

Just be warned about usage. Even if you have an unlimited data plan, cingular wants to charge you a "tethering" fee, for the added data you will use when hooked up to your computer.

I really don't use it, as I have an older medianet unlimited plan that is free data for only 20 per month and didn't want to draw attention to it by using alot of data.
Old May 24, 2007, 03:35 PM   #10
deadpixels
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSurge View Post
Has anyone actually done this before.. lol.. whoever has please do share your experience with it, and if possible use as much description as possible!

Thanks

------Regards
just start bluetooth on phone and mac, pair them. at one point during the pairing the mac will ask you what you wanna use the phone for (ex: sync contacts, internet ..) choose what you need. start internet connect and there a bluetooth tab and you can enter you isp details there and try
Old May 24, 2007, 03:39 PM   #11
itsallinurhead
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to itsallinurhead
I've done this with my 8125 and cingular on my MBP. Just uses the EDGE network on the phone for internet service.
itsallinurhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 04:05 PM   #12
jamiewiseman
macrumors newbie

using phone to connect to internet

There are a couple of ways to use your mobile phone to connect your computer to the internet. One is direct dial...ie you use your phone to dial a dial-up internet service provider. The other is using gprs (packet data).
To use the dial-up option you will need to have a data enabled contract with a provider who supports data. The phone (after being paired with your computer) will dial the same access number that you would use with an ordinary phone line. Problem with this method is that you will probably be charged by the minute, which can be quite expensive. The data transfer rate will probably be slow too, with a top whack of 28k. More likely it will be 9600.
Using packet data is usually quicker......download speeds on a 3g network is as high as 57k, uploads are usually slower. Standard GPRS is 28K. This time the cost is based on amount of data downloaded and uploaded, not on time connected. (In other words you are paying for the page...not the the time it takes to read the page.)

Both need compatable phone, network and appropriate contract with your mobile network. Here in Europe we have been using these things for over ten years. In the states they have been available, but not particularly popular.
jamiewiseman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:19 PM   #13
Phutchi
macrumors member

bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallinurhead View Post
I've done this with my 8125 and cingular on my MBP. Just uses the EDGE network on the phone for internet service.
Been trying to connect my 8125 to my MBP and not having any luck. Are there drivers i need to get or could Anyone post a step by step.
Phutchi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:54 PM   #14
itsallinurhead
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to itsallinurhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phutchi View Post
bump

Been trying to connect my 8125 to my MBP and not having any luck. Are there drivers i need to get or could Anyone post a step by step.
Just tether your 8125 to the MPB.

This is the info you need to login.

Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Enter 99# as the phone number.

PM me with any question.
itsallinurhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:36 PM   #15
greenday123
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to greenday123
Does anyone know how to do this with the Motorola RIZR Z3? is it even possible, i know it will be extremely slow though...
greenday123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:53 PM   #16
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

i use my macbook and my nokia N80 all the time to access the internet on the road..

my data plan includes unlimited web access, so i make the most of it

i did have to hunt around the web for the N80 modem scripts to use, but after that it's great!

only thing i'm not sure of is, i'm on 3G and i'm assuming when i browse via macbook from my mobile, i am also using the 3G connection as web browsing is pretty nippy - can anyone confirm this please?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:21 PM   #17
werkedm3
macrumors member

I use my at&t 8525 and my 750 to access the internet pretty often. I know with those two there is a program (that I believe is going to be standard on WM6) called internet sharing, but at&t has put it on their WM5 devices as well. Basically you tether the phone and the computer (do it from the computer) it will tell you you have set up a personal area network with the phone (PAN). Then open the internet sharing program on the phone, select bluetooth pan, and hit connect. Then on the computer, go to the bluetooth drop down menu, choose "join network on [phone]" and you're good to go. If you don't have that program then you have to fill out the username, password, phone number etc.
werkedm3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro