Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old May 25, 2007, 05:24 PM   #1
mcintosh184
macrumors newbie

Difference between 2.0 ghz and 2.16 ghz?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-500...OmxKW82RiNKxqn

Let me start by saying that I want the black macbook but can't afford it. That really leaves the the other two models. I plan on upgrading the specs (2 gb ram and 160 gb HD) of whatever I get down the line when i have more money, but right now i really only have just enough money to for one of the white models. I could essentially get the cheaper 2.0 ghz model and a macbook protection plan for the same price as the 2.16ghz macbook. I am just wondering how much of a distance .16 ghz really is? If you guys say there is a distance, I will wait a couple more weeeks and save. If not, I will probably go to the apple store either tomorrow or sunday and buy the 2.0ghz mac with plan.

I am coming from a 17inch 1.9ghz power pc imac g5 with 1.5gb of ram. Is the 2.0ghz macbook going to outclass and outperform my old rig? How much of a neccessity is the apple care plan for the macbook? I got the plan for my imac two years ago and the imac has never hiccupped, frozen, crashed, or anything that would think i needed to call apple or take it in to the apple store.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by mcintosh184; May 25, 2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot the link.
mcintosh184 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

I don't think there's much of a difference between the performance of the two processors. But another issue is that base model does not come with a Superdrive. If you want to burn DVDs, you have to go with the 2.16 Ghz model. The higher model also has a larger hard drive, which is a $75 upgrade on the base model.

As for AppleCare, you'll find varying opinions here. I usually find it worthwhile for laptops, since repairs are expensive. I've had a single keyboard issue with my PowerBook in just under 2.5 years, and that paid for the AppleCare right there.

Note that you have up to one year to purchase and activate AppleCare, so there's no rush if you're strapped for cash right now.
Old May 25, 2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Dustman
macrumors 65816

imo, there is pretty much no difference. its probably unlikely that you'd see a difference with general use. spring for the applecare and more ram, more ram will make waaaaaaay more of a difference than that .16ghz will. and as for the comparison with you're imac, video might not be as smooth at very high resilutions and games will be a lot choppier due to the macbook having an inferior graphics card, but really, unless your playing games, the graphics card is fine in the macbook. and assuming all your apps are intel native as well, it will indeed outperform the imac g5 quite noticibly. well actually a lot noticbly. and maybe, if u find the extra cash lying around, spring for the blackbook as it is more resistant to staining and whatnot.

.. hope that helps.. i kinda just rambled on there for a few minutes.

EDIT: Not that im dissing the g5.. its an amazing processor, but intel's come a loooong ways since 2003
Old May 25, 2007, 05:32 PM   #4
mcintosh184
macrumors newbie

Note that you have up to one year to purchase and activate AppleCare, so there's no rush if you're strapped for cash right now.

I didn't know that .... I love you.
Old May 25, 2007, 05:37 PM   #5
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Yep...one additional note: While the standard warranty is one year, free phone support for non-warranty hardware issues runs out after 90 days, which can sometimes make it a bit tricky to get to speak with someone until they determine whether your issue is covered by warranty.

But you can always just buy AppleCare at that point (between Days 91 and 365) to make sure you don't have problems getting your issue addressed.
Old May 25, 2007, 06:02 PM   #6
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

There was another thread that had "official" test of the two CPUs and the difference was not worth mentioning.
Old May 25, 2007, 06:03 PM   #7
mcintosh184
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys ...

I am not using the macbook for editing video or playing games. I will primarily using it for internet, watching videos, itunes, adobe illustrator and photoshop, and a little web design. Thats about it. I am a college student strapped for cash and the apple student discount pretty much just covers the tax for the purchase where i am from.

Thats pretty much me ... is the macbook with the 2 gb ram upgrade and hd upgrade for me? I still have to decide with one though. Buy now and get the low end version or wait a month and get the higher end black one (i graduate in a month so i need to make a decision soon or bye bye discount).
Old May 25, 2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Spanky Deluxe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintosh184 View Post
Thanks for the info guys ...

I am not using the macbook for editing video or playing games. I will primarily using it for internet, watching videos, itunes, adobe illustrator and photoshop, and a little web design. Thats about it. I am a college student strapped for cash and the apple student discount pretty much just covers the tax for the purchase where i am from.

Thats pretty much me ... is the macbook with the 2 gb ram upgrade and hd upgrade for me? I still have to decide with one though. Buy now and get the low end version or wait a month and get the higher end black one (i graduate in a month so i need to make a decision soon or bye bye discount).
Whatever you do, if you're planning on getting a bigger hard drive or more ram, go after market for those. They're user installable parts on the MacBooks.

As an example, the cost to go from the 80GB drive to the 120GB drive is $75 via Apple. For around $80 you can get a 120GB drive which you could put in the MacBook and for a few dollars more you can get an external drive case to put the original drive in.
To go straight up to 2GB of RAM via Apple costs $175. You can get 2GB for $85 elsewhere, leaving you with 2x512MB chips out of the MacBook that you could sell on eBay for a bit of extra cash back.
Old May 26, 2007, 07:33 AM   #9
roker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustman View Post
it will indeed outperform the imac g5 quite noticibly. well actually a lot noticbly. and maybe, if u find the extra cash lying around, spring for the blackbook as it is more resistant to staining and whatnot.
Cheers Dustman, I couldn't decide whether or not the black casing was worth the extra $$$, I certainly think it looks fantastic, but knowing it has other benefits over the white finish has helped me decide which to get.
roker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 07:41 AM   #10
bohrsatom
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky Deluxe View Post
Whatever you do, if you're planning on getting a bigger hard drive or more ram, go after market for those. They're user installable parts on the MacBooks.

As an example, the cost to go from the 80GB drive to the 120GB drive is $75 via Apple. For around $80 you can get a 120GB drive which you could put in the MacBook and for a few dollars more you can get an external drive case to put the original drive in.
I have done exactly what the above says.

I saved 110 getting the 'low end' macbook, and then it will cost me under 100 to get a 120Gb drive and 2Gb of RAM. Meaning for the price of the 'mid tier' macbook I have pretty much the same spec machine with 2Gigs of RAM and also an 80gig external USB disk for backups.

For me that is a better use of my money than a SuperDrive, as I can buy a USB enclosure for the DVD burner in my PC and use that instead. How many times have you had to burn a DVD in the last few years that couldn't wait until you got home? The 'free' external disk pretty much sorts out those occasions.

The only thing is that it may hit the resale value later on but I'd have thought the difference would be pretty negligable, especially if you sell with 2gigs of RAM.

bohrsatom
bohrsatom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 08:35 AM   #11
Carl Spackler
macrumors 6502

I doubt you'll be able to got the BTO route, but it may be worth calling Apple to see if the have any older black MacBooks they'd be willing to sell at a discount. I had bought a G5 the day of a new revision and made this inquiry. I believe the offer for the previous model was about $200 off the original price.

I also know that CompUSA was selling the previous revisions for $100 off. I'm sure someone else has mentioned that you can always upgrade the RAM and HDD on your own for a fraction of what Apple will charge you.
Carl Spackler is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice