Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I have this cyberduck ftp but the problem is I have alot which I don't understand... The first few problem lies in where I need to key the server but I really have no idea what to key in there, even though I have guide asking to key in. eg. gem1.soas.ac.uk then follow by password. And here I don't understand too of what sorta password to key? There are so many ???? for me.... I serious hope that there are some ftp experts, genuis to give me some details and brief pls for I am pretty new to ftp... hence pardon my noob experiences.... Thank you.....
4.jpg

What sorta of username do I need here as well as the password man?
I merely wanna upload some files over to my friend as well as download from my friend's pc/mac. Please advise experts.... thanx!

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Erm... an FTP Is a way to upload files to a SERVER on the internet not file transfers from peer to peer... you need msn or any other IM service and send each other files that way...

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Erm... an FTP Is a way to upload files to a SERVER on the internet not file transfers from peer to peer... you need msn or any other IM service and send each other files that way...

Sure dude.... I sure have msn to send files peer to peer... but what happen here is I heard that we could send files to server then your friend could so call download them over the server isn't it? But how can we do that? I guess that is a better idea to portray? Moreover msn send files are really slow.... seriously.... please show me guidance for ftp thank you.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Sure dude.... I sure have msn to send files peer to peer... but what happen here is I heard that we could send files to server then your friend could so call download them over the server isn't it? But how can we do that? I guess that is a better idea to portray? Moreover msn send files are really slow.... seriously.... please show me guidance for ftp thank you.

Do you own a server? If not then you can't upload to anything.. but if you do then you need to make a folder with the extention .zip and put the files in there then get your servers FTP infomation from cPanels FTP Account Manager and fill it in into CyberDuck and hit connect and upload the file. Then send your friend the link to the file on your server and it should just download.

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
i guess i get a little picture here... so can I use free server like bravehost etc? if so can you teach me how to do it? Thank you so much...

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Ok to make this easier just use Media Fire its a great free file hosting company which you just upload your file, it will give you a link to where you can download it again and all you have to do then is email or IM your friend the link.

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I really appreciate that too but can anyone pls guice me how to use a ftp (cyberduck) via bravehost? I really wanna learn and pick it up

L

Lau

I'm not familiar with Bravehost, but does this link to their FAQ help at all? The "5. How do I create an FTP account" and "10. How do I upload my webpage files to my site?" might be helpful.

As for what goes where, this is the settings I have to connect (via New Connection):

Picture 1.png

Once you've set up the FTP account via Bravehost, that's how you would connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.