Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old May 26, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Spikey115
macrumors member

Using Two Airport Express Base Stations

I have a wireless network set up using an airport express. Both my iMac and MacBook connect to it wirelessly. I want to use a second airport express and put it in my livingroom so I can connect my stereo speakers and use AirTunes. If I configure the second express to join the current network, will I be able to use internet and airtunes at the same time from the same computer? In other words, can I use the two airport express base stations in just one network with both internet sharing and airtunes? Thanks.
Spikey115 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 11:44 AM   #2
thewhitehart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to thewhitehart Send a message via Yahoo to thewhitehart
I have exactly the same setup. One of the airport expresses will act as the router. You'll only connect to that one for web surfing, etc., while you'll connect to the other solely for the intention of playing music out of it, or printing from it.

If the music streaming express is far away from the main routing one, you can also set it up to extend the range of the express acting as the router.

To answer your question, yes, you can use the internet and play music from the living room express at the same time.
Old May 31, 2010, 06:18 PM   #3
richbeaudoin
macrumors newbie

how would I do this myself? I have two airport express base stations. One upstairs connected to my dsl router and I can see the status of that one in the airport utility. I plugged the printer and speakers into another downstairs and plugged it in the wall but now I have a blinking orange light. I have no idea what my next step is. I have an iMac and two MacBooks that all share the connection. Thanks for the help.
richbeaudoin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:07 PM   #4
gmaiden73
macrumors newbie

Did you get a response to your question Richbeaudoin?
I have got the same problem and wondered if there was a simple solution?
gmaiden73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
skorpien
macrumors 68020

Connect the Express to your computer via Ethernet and set it up to join your existing wireless network.
skorpien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:27 PM   #6
stompywomp
macrumors newbie

Ethernet Extreme

Sort of defeats the purpose of trying to connect up two airport express devices if you have to use an ethernet cable.

Does this mean that you cannot use a second airport express (without a physical link) to join up with another?
stompywomp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:34 PM   #7
skorpien
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompywomp View Post
Sort of defeats the purpose of trying to connect up two airport express devices if you have to use an ethernet cable.

Does this mean that you cannot use a second airport express (without a physical link) to join up with another?
If you're referring to my post, I was saying to use an Ethernet cable strictly for intial setup. Once you've made the proper configuration changes in AirPort Utility, then you can disconnect the Express and plug it in wherever it needs to be.
skorpien is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals