Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 26, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1
jayyymeee
macrumors newbie

iphoto troubleshooting

i recently cleaned up and organized my 2000+ photos on my macbook. i had everything in iphoto but exporting them was giving me problems since they were so disorganized by roll numbers and such. in the library folder i went through and renamed and organized all of the photos. i now have a problem where i go into iphoto, and if i make the thumbnail scale large i see only blank white boxes. if i move the scroll down and make the thumbnails small, all of my photos are there. however if i double click to view any of them or open them in edit i get a grey box with a ! in it. i read in iphoto help that it said moving and renaming things in the library can cause these problems, but it seemed that because i still had all of the photos on my computer i could fix it. i did what it said and tried dragging the files to the iphoto app on the dock, but it just says the file is unreadable. why is this happening? what should i try next?
thanks in advance for any advice.
jayyymeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 07:36 PM   #2
M@lew
macrumors 68000

1) You probably need to rebuild your library

2) IF you reorganised your WHOLE iphoto library in FINDER...you are pretty much stuffed. I've said this about 5 times in the past day or 2 but NEVER TOUCH THE iPHOTO LIBRARY IN FINDER!!

If you were organising it from within iPhoto then just rebuild the library and you should be ok.
M@lew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 09:03 PM   #3
jayyymeee
macrumors newbie

ok, but i dont get it. if the files are still all on my computer, why cant i import them back into the application? i did (make the mistake i guess) of doing it through finder.
jayyymeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
mrjonathanquinn
macrumors newbie

need help with iphotos please

i could really use some help - i am trying to upload my iphoto book to apple to get it printed and everytime i try, it stops at page 19 - the computer freezes - and nothing. I have 42 pages in the book. this is my first time using iphotos, but it seems fairly straight forward....i need to get it done ASAP as it is my dad's b-day soon - any ideas/advice? I appreciate any tips anyone could give me - thanks v much
mrjonathanquinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
challiman
macrumors member

Bookmarking this as I'm also starting a book. Haven't gotten to where you are yet, though.
But, when you started were you given a choice of how many pages you wanted? If so, maybe you've reached the limit. I don't think they would set it up that way, but it could be.
Good luck.
challiman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:27 PM   #6
igli13
macrumors newbie

iphoto troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyymeee View Post
i recently cleaned up and organized my 2000+ photos on my macbook. i had everything in iphoto but exporting them was giving me problems since they were so disorganized by roll numbers and such. in the library folder i went through and renamed and organized all of the photos. i now have a problem where i go into iphoto, and if i make the thumbnail scale large i see only blank white boxes. if i move the scroll down and make the thumbnails small, all of my photos are there. however if i double click to view any of them or open them in edit i get a grey box with a ! in it. i read in iphoto help that it said moving and renaming things in the library can cause these problems, but it seemed that because i still had all of the photos on my computer i could fix it. i did what it said and tried dragging the files to the iphoto app on the dock, but it just says the file is unreadable. why is this happening? what should i try next?
thanks in advance for any advice.
This happen to me recently. I went to files, select original files, and import them again to the library. Once I was sure they could be seen, then I deleted the old file in iphoto. I did this with my 5000 pictures and 118 files on the iphoto library. It took me several days but it was worth it. Never again I will even touch pictures in the finder!!! Good luck
igli13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help