Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 28, 2007, 01:47 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Why most people should buy a Mac

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Why most people should buy a Mac
Description:: For ordinary computer users, deciding between a PC and a Mac is a non-choice. The only decision you need to make is whether to buy a Mac notebook or desktop. It's that simple.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 28, 2007, 02:28 PM   #2
DMann
Banned

Best of Both Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes View Post

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Why most people should buy a Mac
Description:: For ordinary computer users, deciding between a PC and a Mac is a non-choice. The only decision you need to make is whether to buy a Mac notebook or desktop. It's that simple.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
And much more elegant, let alone more functional, reliable and affordable (yes).
DMann is offline   0
Old May 28, 2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Mainyehc
macrumors 6502

Nice article

That was a nice article, absolutely tongue-in-cheek... But I guess "normal people" don't care much about being dependent on some geek, as many tell me, when I advise them to get a Mac, "Oh, I don't care about viruses/bugs/overall Windows shˇttyness, my boyfriend/girlfriend/neighbour can fix my PC for me at any given moment"... Duh, what about buying a Mac and NOT having to have it fixed, ever (or either fix it yourself or have it fixed in 1/2 as long as it would take to fix a PC)?

On a side-note, I still don't get those dumb-ass trolls that keep saying that "MAC is teh sux0rz coz of 1-button mouse!!1!"... Have they ever heard of the Mighty Mouse, multi-touch MacBook scroll-pads, or USB, for that matter?
Old May 28, 2007, 06:13 PM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainyehc View Post
On a side-note, I still don't get those dumb-ass trolls that keep saying that "MAC is teh sux0rz coz of 1-button mouse!!1!"... Have they ever heard of the Mighty Mouse, multi-touch MacBook scroll-pads, or USB, for that matter?
Let's do an experiment. Move back in with your mother. Get a job at Walmart. Develop acne. Do not have sex for three years. Get eyeglasses. Do not speak to a member of the other sex without squeaking and forgetting what you were trying to say. If you want to understand them, method acting is the only way to go.
Old May 28, 2007, 09:26 PM   #5
yamabushi
macrumors 65816

Apple Mice suck - prepare for rant

Sorry but Apple makes terrible mice. I believe I have used just about every one they have ever sold and hate all of them.

The Mighty Mouse is innovative in that it has a scroll ball instead of a wheel. However it does not reliably distinguish between left and right clicks making it frustrating to use in many applications and a handicap when used for games. The side buttons cannot be assigned different functions. The ergonomics make it a pain to use for extended periods of time. It is also a little on the heavy side and doesn't glide across surfaces as well as many other mice.

Apple has excellent design in most areas but their mice still don't stack up to the competition.

The lack of multiple buttons in Apple laptops also drives me crazy.

Sure, I can and do buy other mice to use with my Macs - but I shouldn't have to.

As for the single button:

The single button pointing device design philosophy is both outdated since the vast majority of computer users are now used to using multiple buttons and flawed to begin with. The design philosophy stemmed from the idea that each button should have a discrete function and that function should be clearly labeled. Apple design engineers figured it would be the most clear if there was only one function for buttons on the pointing device. That means they don't have to be labeled or deal with the confusion between using the left or right hand.

However, people have figured how how to use mice and trackballs and touchpads and such with multiple buttons and have actually grown to rely upon them. I used a Powerbook 145B in the distant past and it was great - except for the fact that both buttons next to the integrated trackball had the same function.

Also, Apple has failed to conform to this philosophy by failing to label their keyboards with the same graphical icons they use within OS X. Look down at the function, option, shift, and caps lock keys and compare them to what you see under keyboard shortcuts within the keyboard and mouse section of system preferences. These should match to avoid confusion by the same design philosophy.
yamabushi is offline   0
Old May 28, 2007, 09:35 PM   #6
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Well written article which looks like it should get the flame wars going.
Old May 29, 2007, 06:08 AM   #7
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Windows has always felt like a developers tool to me. Regular users are more likely to understand OS X better and faster.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0
Old May 29, 2007, 08:04 AM   #8
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi View Post
Sorry but Apple makes terrible mice. I believe I have used just about every one they have ever sold and hate all of them.

Yeah, with the exception of the earliest macs, a la System 6 and 7, the one button mouse should have died years ago. Apple needs to design a simple, elegant, 2 button mouse, in Right, and Left handed versions. (I loathe those ambidexterous bastards.) With forward and back buttons and a scroll wheel, not ball. Basically, they need to but a Logitech laser mouse and paint it white I guess.

On a side note, this guy does open himself up for flaming, but he brings up very valid points. The average computer user practically needs a Mac. The average computer user would definitely do better with a Mac than a Windows PC. For the enthusiast in the house, a.k.a. Me, you install bootcamp and shoehorn an nVidia 8800 in the Mac, you can play all the latest games with ease, even though XP will only address one quarter of your ram for some reason, and you leave OS X for the rest of your family to use. (On a side note, I only use bootcamp to play games, and a very few things, i.e. Visual Studio, that won't run on a Mac. For everything else, I use the Mac).

Not only the best, but by far the most versatile computers in the world. And Macs can be quite a bit cheaper if your looking at the Top of the Line. i.e. a Dell server with 2 2.66 GHz quad core processors is almost three thousand MORE than a comparably equipped, FASTER Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
Windows has always felt like a developers tool to me. Regular users are more likely to understand OS X better and faster.
It's either a developer tool, or a games machine. There is no middle ground where professionals and average users can get their work done more easily, and that's exactly where OS X is, but don't leave X out when you talk about IDEs, cause XCode is the shizzle.

Last edited by SPUY767; May 29, 2007 at 09:22 AM.
SPUY767 is offline   0
Old May 29, 2007, 10:21 AM   #9
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Quote:

The Mighty Mouse is innovative in that it has a scroll ball instead of a wheel. However it does not reliably distinguish between left and right clicks making it frustrating to use in many applications and a handicap when used for games. The side buttons cannot be assigned different functions. The ergonomics make it a pain to use for extended periods of time. It is also a little on the heavy side and doesn't glide across surfaces as well as many other mice.

Apple has excellent design in most areas but their mice still don't stack up to the competition.

Sure, I can and do buy other mice to use with my Macs - but I shouldn't have to.

As for the single button:

The single button pointing device design philosophy is both outdated since the vast majority of computer users are now used to using multiple buttons and flawed to begin with. The design philosophy stemmed from the idea that each button should have a discrete function and that function should be clearly labeled. Apple design engineers figured it would be the most clear if there was only one function for buttons on the pointing device. That means they don't have to be labeled or deal with the confusion between using the left or right hand.

However, people have figured how how to use mice and trackballs and touchpads and such with multiple buttons and have actually grown to rely upon them. I used a Powerbook 145B in the distant past and it was great - except for the fact that both buttons next to the integrated trackball had the same function.

Also, Apple has failed to conform to this philosophy by failing to label their keyboards with the same graphical icons they use within OS X. Look down at the function, option, shift, and caps lock keys and compare them to what you see under keyboard shortcuts within the keyboard and mouse section of system preferences. These should match to avoid confusion by the same design philosophy.
I agree about the mouse, my fav is the Logitec MX 900, or any of their laser mice
Cheffy Dave is offline   0
Old May 29, 2007, 11:18 AM   #10
shamino
macrumors 68040

I found it amusing that the first comment below the article was "if you're so into Microsoft bashing, why not encourage them to use an open-source OS?"

Some people just don't get it. First off, the article had very little MS bashing. It was strongly pro-Apple, but simply restating what everybody already knows about Windows (that it requires significant maintenance to keep running well) is hardly MS-bashing.

And the point of the article is that ordinary users do not have the desire (and often don't have the ability, either) to perform Windows maintenance. Macs are a good alternative, because they require much less maintenance. Linux, on the other hand, requires even more technical ability to maintain, not less. Unless your goal is to spend the rest of your life performing tech support for your friends and neighbors, you really don't want to transition them to Linux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Yeah, with the exception of the earliest macs, a la System 6 and 7, the one button mouse should have died years ago. Apple needs to design a simple, elegant, 2 button mouse, in Right, and Left handed versions. (I loathe those ambidexterous bastards.) With forward and back buttons and a scroll wheel, not ball. Basically, they need to but a Logitech laser mouse and paint it white I guess.
I think it's easier to just buy a Logitech laser mouse (or whatever you prefer) and plug it in.

The one-button mouse works remarkably well for almost all applications, and it is easier for newbies (especially those new to computers, not switchers) to learn. There have been plenty of scientific studies performed that back up this assertion.

And no, I'm not saying that I prefer it. I actually use an MS Wheel Mouse on my Macs at home. I'm saying that there are a lot of people that simply get confused by extra buttons and wheels and stuff. It's far easier for an expert to buy the mouse he likes than it is for a newbie to realize he has a choice.

And Apple makes a multi-button mouse the standard, you can bet that software developers will soon abandon support for one-button mice, and those newbies will no longer have the option to use a simpler device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
... but don't leave X out when you talk about IDEs, cause XCode is the shizzle.
XCode is definitely a great environment. Unfortunately, if you are developing software for a living, you have to support the OS that your customers use. This often (not always, of course), means something on Windows, whether in addition to or instead of something on the Mac.

But if you're lucky enough to develop Mac software for a living, or if you're just writing code for yourself, then yes, XCode is a big deal. I've found that writing software for the Cocoa environment is a lot more fun than for other environments.
Quote:
Agreed. Which is why I don't use one. Fortunately, USB mice cost very little.
Quote:
Also agreed. But I did find that they're remarkably easy to get used to. Since your hand is always near the keyboard, it's not that big a deal to ctrl-click objects. It's definitely more convenient than doing this with a USB mouse.

The only really nasty problem I've found is when running UNIX apps with X11 for the GUI. X11 apps assume the presence of three buttons. Some programs (like Emacs) have useful functionality bound to things like ctrl-rightclick, which can't be performed at all using a one-button mouse. Fortunately, I don't usually run X11 apps from my laptop, and when I have to, I have a USB mouse to attach.
Quote:
And this is not outdated or flawed.

I suggest you spend a week working tech support for any IT department. See how many people get confused when you tell them to "click the right button" or "right click" as you try to walk them through a problem.

You are falling into the same trap that a lot of power users fall into. You forget that you are nothing like the typical user, and things you require serve only to confuse most people.
Quote:
The printing on the keyboards do match, if you buy an international model. It's only the US-English keyboards that use text instead of symbols for these keys. And they do this because most US customers would get even more confused if they didn't.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:24 PM   #11
backspinner
macrumors 6502a

About the keys: on all the keyboards in this house, they match the symbols?!

About the one button mouse: switch girlfriends often. Then you can repeatedly teach fresh parents in law to use computers for the first time. It's fun, and you soon will learn the positive side of one button mice.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion