Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 29, 2007, 02:50 PM   #1
lom8104
macrumors regular

iPhone sync with Windows/outlook contacts

Anyone care to speculate if the iPhone will sync with outlook contacts? I have a mac but it would be great if I could somehow use the iPhone to sync my work computer with my home computer.
lom8104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 04:00 PM   #2
neven
macrumors 6502a

You can currently sync Outlook contacts and calendars to iPod, so I think it's safe to say that you'll be able to do the same (if not more) with iPhone.

Some info here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302270
neven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 07:59 AM   #3
lom8104
macrumors regular

Does anyone have any experience using an iPod as a means to sync a windows machine with a Mac? (ie can you only sync contacts and calendar with windows and then sync them back to iTunes?)

.....actually, now that I think about it iTunes ability to sync the iPhone will have to be different than iPod because the iPhone will actually allow you to edit contact info. Hmmm.......
lom8104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:35 AM   #4
neven
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lom8104 View Post
Does anyone have any experience using an iPod as a means to sync a windows machine with a Mac? (ie can you only sync contacts and calendar with windows and then sync them back to iTunes?)
You can't put contacts and calendars on your iPod on one machine, then move them to another machine (not using iTunes, anyway). This is guaranteed by the fact that you can't sync an iPod to two machines at all.

And yes, iTunes will be performing a "real", two-way sync on iPhone. If you've ever used iSync to sync a phone, I expect it will work like that (only better, hopefully).
neven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:50 AM   #5
/dev/toaster
macrumors 68000

Calendar wise, I really hope I will be able to accept calendar invites from the iPhone. Thats something I have really hated about the Treo. I don't always have time to sync up, and its very annoying when out and about seeing a new calendar invite come through but not even be able to see what it is, or when it is.

This drives me and my co-workers nuts, Steve if your listening ... you could get all of them to buy it if it had calendar invite support directly on the phone

(I am purchasing one regardless, but will be annoyed if I can't accept invites)
Old Jan 7, 2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Mr Phelps
macrumors newbie

folks OK with unlocking their iPhone should look at a well-received iPhone sync client at nexthaus.com
Mr Phelps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:24 AM   #7
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lom8104 View Post
Anyone care to speculate if the iPhone will sync with outlook contacts? I have a mac but it would be great if I could somehow use the iPhone to sync my work computer with my home computer.
lom...To answer your question...YES...the iPhone currently syncs Outlook Contacts and Calenders and it is two way information using iTunes as the conduit to Outlook.

However, and I think this is where you and others are going...the iPhone does NOT work with Outlook Exchange service normally found at a work site. So you would not be able to sync your work calender/contacts if it is on the Exchange Server.

Sync two computers together is also not supported at this time as already stated. You can use the iPhone on two computers but only to do specific functions. For example: You can sync music/videos using one computer and on another computer you can sync calender/contacts. But that still does not allow you to share data between two computers.

Hope this answers your question.
Good Luck

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone