Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nancyBC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Canada
Hi folks -

I recently bought some Altech Lansing USB speakers to use with my MacBook. They work just fine, however when they are not plugged in, my MacBook now can't find the internal speakers. In the Sound Preferences panel, the only option when the speakers aren't plugged in is "Digital Out - "Built-In Output". Also, the digital out port is constantly glowing red.

Has anyone else had this problem...and is there a fix?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Is Is

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
yay

Wow, ok so I had the exact problem described in the thread as well. Finding this forum in google really saved me! As some others said to do, I just plugged my headphones in and out of the jack a couple of times and then it started working again :)

zagmathustra

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Macbook Pro Volume Button Issue

Hi all, this issue does not affect the actual sound, only my ability to control volume using the three buttons on the keyboard. Whenever I push one of them, I get this icon popping up:
33c64wl.png

I can still control the output with the slider in Preferences -> Sound (which is set to Built-in Speakers) and in the top right, but does anyone know why the keyboard buttons would fail?

Thanks!

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Hi all, this issue does not affect the actual sound, only my ability to control volume using the three buttons on the keyboard. Whenever I push one of them, I get this icon popping up:
33c64wl.png

I can still control the output with the slider in Preferences -> Sound (which is set to Built-in Speakers) and in the top right, but does anyone know why the keyboard buttons would fail?

Thanks!

Today I experienced that icon with no output sound.

Before this happened I hab my MacBook Pro connected to my TV, also using virtualbox running Windows XP and, with an audio cable connected to my TV.
The issue appeared after I closed virtualbox and shut down. I left the audio cable connected.
Once I turned on my Mac without the audio cable the icon with the no sound issue started.
After looking in the port without the cable, it was emitting a red light.
What i did was to plug the audio cable in, and took it out and then the sound and control came back like it should be.
It seems that inside the port there is a mechanical switch or something that "thinks" that something is connected, but due to other signal it "senses" that nothing is there.

My fix was: plug in the audio cable and then remove it.

BigBurd

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2002
The Beautiful Berkshires
Fix does not work

I've tried to plug iPod earbuds into the headphones port and this does not work. I've also tried to re-set the P-RAM, and that does not work.

Any other suggestions?

shridutta

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
MacBook Internal speaker issue resolved

It is CARBON in your headphone jack.. take little cotton, a thin match stick and create a tiny earbud (do not use real earbud, it may damage jack) look a like, roll this in both directions in Jack.. You may notice carbon when you pull them out... tickling the jack may restore sound temporarily but it would resurface if you do not clean it properly.... :D

linjaman

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Earwig in audio jack

The other day I couldn't fit the audio plug fir my external speakers all the way into the jack so I poked a cocktail stick inside and ended up pulling out an earwig! Or parts of one anyway. I think there is still some stuck up there as my sound is working one minute and not the next. The morales of the story are that the audio jack is a nice hiding place for earwigs; and if you have sound issues it's a good idea to check that nothing has crawled inside the audio jack!

iceepwn

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
sound fix found!!!!!!!!

I had the same issue on my macbook 1.1

I was installing snow leopard on a different partition on my drive but i installed Leo Hazard not knowing ( i do a lot of hackintoshing ) so i installed it.
a few days later i was on youtube and i played a video not knowing that my sound would work i played the video and my sound was FREAKING WORKING!!!!!:):):):):):):). so get a copy of leo hazard from http://leohazard.com/update.html hope it works for you!!:apple::apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.