Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Palm Foleo was announced at the All Things Digital Conference today.

foleo2_lg_300.jpg

The Palm Foleo is a "mobile companion" to the Treo smart phone and features a 10-inch screen and full size keyboard. The Foleo offers web browsing, Word, Excel and PowerPoint editing, PDF viewer, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support. Weighs 2.5lbs and will cost $499 after an introductory $100 rebate.

Live transcript underway.

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
And Apple's stock reaches toward $118 on the news...

Nothing impressive, as far as I can tell.

So Palm decides to keep relying on its now ancient Treo form factor.... by supplementing it with a laptop?

Sandfleaz

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Too Big and Too Small!

Too big to lug around, might as well move on up to a 12" laptop

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
Wow. How pathetic. It's a small laptop, except it does less than a laptop.

It really seems like Apple is the only company left that knows what the hell they're doing.

EDIT: What the hell?

"Future iteration of the device will allow e-mail over Wi-Fi."

Oh, brilliant.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Seriously though, who would want to carry around something like this? The price isn't that bad but it's quite crippled compared to a regular subnotebook.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's certainly not a mass market device. But could be useful. I might find a use for it actually. Wonder if we'll be able to use it with the iPhone eventually.

Reminds me of the Nokia internet tablet

http://www.nokiausa.com/770

but with a keyboard.

arn

scrambledwonder

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Neat-O, I say, especially considering the price. As a writer, I can see a definite use for this. As a photographer (the other half of my business), though, I almost always have my laptop to deal with photos on the go, negating the need for a Folio.

It's a step in the right direction. I can see Palm getting into the UMPC market now, which makes me very happy.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
a friggin' crippled laptop?

That was pretty weak...

13 Days until WWDC. Apple could release a 300 lb laptop at this point and I would be more impressed than this thing.

How many gadgets are we expected to carry?

When I travel I bring:

Laptop
cell phone
iPOD
and Bose Headphones

Why would anyone want to add another laptop to the mix. Why is this on Macrumors?
:rolleyes:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
People will use it as a laptop ... it can run independently from what I understand ...

And my comment as a whole was meant to be sarcastic, btw. ;)

:)

Sorry, harshed out there for a moment. First reaction for me is disappointment.

Hmmm. It's cheap but I can't see a market for this really.

happylittlemac

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
Scotland
Man that is ugly, about as ugly as the John Mccain video on the website, since when did technology shows become invloved in the Iraq war? Very odd, but sadly the new Palm product looks like a toy laptop almost reminds me of the Apple eMate but that was a much better product way back when.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
"Foleo will support Palm and Windows Mobile. Hawkins wants it to support RIM and iPhone as well, but hasn’t inked the deals necessary to do that yet."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.