Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceMusic_Guy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
Mpls., MN
I currently have an ATI "Nexus 128" PCI graphics card in my older Power Computing Power Center Mac clone (w/400 Mhz G3 upgrade card and 512 Mb of ram). It's pretty much a Rage 128 engine with 32 Mb of vram as far as I know. I'm looking for a replacement for it and would like to know if anyone out there had any suggestions.

I was considering getting the "Radeon 7000" PCI card w/32 Mb of ram but think the Mac version is too damn expensive for what it is. Will the performance of the Radeon 7000 be that much better than my Nexus 128 (which is about 5 or 6 yrs. old) ??

What about trying to find a VooDoo 5 5500........would that be a better choice than the Radeon 7000 as far as performance goes ?? I'm not doing any games but do alot of 3D programs (Bryce......Stills and some Animation) and Photoshop and Illustrator. I've been having a problem with stuttering video (some Quicktime Movies stutter and alot of Animations that I do in Bryce are not smooth at all on playback even after making them into Quicktime Movies). I'm thinking that the Nexus 128 I have is just not cutting it and is the major cause of the problem.

Anyone out there with some insight on this would be much appreciated !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.