Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollie Cromwell

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
London
I have a 2.66ghz quad core shipping at the moment, bought with only 1gb ram installed. Want to get more ram from a 3rd party as I am sure it will be cheaper than Apples own prices. Anyone got any suggestions for a good place to buy online (taking into account I am in the UK). Crucial.com seem quite cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions or can you point me to a guide with help on this?

Cheers

:)

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
Crucial RAM that I have is the same brand as Apple's. Same thing. There are other brands that work also but since you mention Crucial, go for it.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Crucial is one of the best dealers in RAM. Go for it. I have also had no problem with 1800memory.com or what ever it is. Just needed some cheap RAM quick, and it worked well. A good place to look is ramseeker.com gives you the rundown on ram prices, I always look at Apple certified tho when looking.

joachim

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2007
I just received OWC's Netlist Apple Certified RAM and it works. It's also recommended, along with Crucial, as good RAM at a low cost.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I got my RAM from OWC. Teh RAM follows all Apple Specs. I have been checking the temp of my system and I only went from !Gig Apple RAM @ 160 F to 4 Gig OWC RAM @ 168 F.

Not bbeas

Enjoy your new machine. The this is a beast

-Alan-

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
I've never had great luck buying the cheapest RAM...and this goes back to when I used to build my own PCs. My suggestion...pay a little more and get the Crucial RAM. It's still much cheaper than Apple's but retains the quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.