Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reposted Security Update 2007-005, initially released on May 24th. Apple gives no explanation for the reposting, but simply re-interates the initial security update's purpose.

The new version is available to applicable users via Software Update, or via Apple's Support Website.

Apple had to update its last security update (2005-004) to v1.1 after the initial update introduced some bugs into specific versions of Mac OS X.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Ok then...its always comforting to know they're not getting complacent :)
Hasn't yet come to my Software Update...

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Can't say this for sure, but Apple may be getting sloppy with its testing. At least its patching it, but come on... do your testing BEFORE releasing the update into the wild. This is the second time they've had to do this.

Hasn't yet come to my Software Update...

It may not. The last time they updated to v1.1, they didn't make it appear in everyone's Software Update

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Does everyone have to apply 1.1? It doesn't show up in my Software Update either. Then, I don't think they have in past instances when this happened either.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't see it, but I know these things roll out in phases.

Can't say this for sure, but Apple may be getting sloppy with its testing. At least its patching it, but come on... do your testing BEFORE releasing the update into the wild. This is the second time they've had to do this.

They did, of course, test it. Nothing will EVER change the fact that a public release is a bigger test than anything that came before it. Nothing will ever prevent all bugs from getting out the door. Software is made by humans, and complex creations of humans will never be immune from error. There will always be bugs and mistakes from Apple or any company. We can only hope to have them caught and patched, and we can hope that they are fewer and less severe in their consequences than Windows' bugs :eek:

ktlx

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
From http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305530:

Note: Security Update 2007-005 v1.1 was released to remove a configuration file that prevented the BIND service from automatically starting after applying the security update. The BIND service is not enabled on default configurations, and is mainly used with a Server system. For systems using BIND which applied Security Update 2007-005, manually re-enabling the BIND service will correct the issue. Security Update 2007-005 v1.1 made no changes to the security content of Security Update 2007-005. Systems that have applied Security Update 2007-005 do not need to apply Security Update 2007-005 v1.1.

I think the following is what's important for most of us: Security Update 2007-005 v1.1 made no changes to the security content of Security Update 2007-005.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I purposefully didn't DL the first one... and I'll still be waiting a week or more before I DL this one. :p Call me paranoid. :D

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
They did, of course, test it. Nothing will EVER change the fact that a public release is a bigger test than anything that came before it. Nothing will ever prevent all bugs from getting out the door. Software is made by humans, and complex creations of humans will never be immune from error. There will always be bugs and mistakes from Apple or any company. We can only hope to have them caught and patched, and we can hope that they are fewer and less severe in their consequences than Windows' bugs :eek:

Oh, I'm not saying that they didn't test it, nor am I saying that testing needs to produce 100% clean builds. I'm a dev, and I know all too well that bugs can escape even through testing.

However, this is the second time in a row that they have had to re-release a security update. Perhaps they are dedicating so much of their testing resources to the iPhone and/or Leopard that they aren't testing these security patches as thoroughly as they should. But I do think that the fact that we have seen 2 in a row now indicates that these updates aren't seeing the testing thoroughness that they normally would have seen.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
There were some people having problems with Logic Pro crashing after that security update, on the discussions.apple.com forum.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the following is what's important for most of us: Security Update 2007-005 v1.1 made no changes to the security content of Security Update 2007-005.

Thank you for looking up the clarification. That can put to rest most rumors about this being a fix for unexpected behavior on systems it was installed on, etc, since the bind issue does not impact 99% of us.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I purposefully didn't DL the first one... and I'll still be waiting a week or more before I DL this one. :p Call me paranoid. :D
Chicken. That gives me a whole week to entice you to mount two identically-named disk images!

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
I installed the first one immediately, not thinking of possible problems, so i'm glad that everything has been perfect since. :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
They did, of course, test it. Nothing will EVER change the fact that a public release is a bigger test than anything that came before it. Nothing will ever prevent all bugs from getting out the door.
Thanks for that voice of reason.

Apple probably finds a number of bugs in updates during their own testing, and that testing may include rolling it out to all Apple employees before we get it. We hear only about the bugs that survive those tests, like drug-resistant bacteria.

The bugs that remain are likely to be for very rare conditions, or bugs that cause problems whose symptoms do not show up promptly.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY

You probably have not done software development on complicated systems. You can test until you are blue in the face but still miss the problem you can have a hundred people test it. But one it comes to the 101 person they find a problem. Some times you get problems affecting parts you didn't expect. So you never bother testing that part. It is impossible to compleatly test all of OS X for every little change you do to the system. Things get threw the cracks. Apple is Better then Microsoft at this but still they are not perfect as well.
Complex systems are hard to debug.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You probably have not done software development on complicated systems. You can test until you are blue in the face but still miss the problem you can have a hundred people test it. But one it comes to the 101 person they find a problem.
Today something of this nature happened to me. Some code I developed for a demonstration this week was tested all last month and found to be working fine. Today it "broke" when the month changed from May to June. Actually, it did as it was designed, but it turned out the customer wanted something different in the way it handled changes of month. Just another example where undesirable software behavior was not immediately apparent, despite "thorough" testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.