Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jun 29, 2003, 08:45 PM   #1
Pablo
macrumors regular

MS Bluetooth mouse and 17" Powerbook?

I was looking at mice today and saw MS's Bluetooth optical mouse.

I see that it comes with a USB bluetooth adapter, but I'm wondering if it's necessary with a 17" Powerbook (integrated bluetooth), or if it's just optional for those machines that don't already have it.

Also, what kind of battery life can be expected out of these? What kind of hit on notebook battery life will enabling bluetooth cause?
Pablo is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:38 PM   #2
iJon
macrumors 604

no you dont have to use it. it paired just fine with my 12" powerbook. battery life i couldnt tell you.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:51 PM   #3
stuckwithme247
macrumors member

i wish there was a site that just sold it oem, without the bluetooth adapter
stuckwithme247 is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:42 PM   #4
alia
macrumors 6502a

I don't have a bluetooth mouse, but I have a Microsoft cordless optical mouse and my mouse went over 8 months without needing new batteries. It's pretty dang awesome.

Alia
alia is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:07 AM   #5
WilliamGates
macrumors member

I give a 7 out of 10 rating for the MSBT mouse on my 17". There are small skips that can hamper gameplay, but otherwise it can be used. It seems to fall asleep if left alone for awhile and sometimes takes about 3 seconds to wake up. Not that great on batteries either. I am using it now; giving it another chance from a long haitus. Nothing to brag about in the performance dept but very convienient. Nothing to plug in. Onlookers are awed at that.
WilliamGates is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Pablo
macrumors regular

Thanks for the information.

I've tried waiting for Apple to come out with a multi-button bluetooth mouse, but it doesn't look like it'll be happening anytime soon, so it looks like Microsoft's the best option out there at the moment.

God it hurts to say that.
Pablo is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:06 AM   #7
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

i like it, but

you only get about 1 to 2 weeks of battery life... buy some rechargeables. I love the feel of it though, and sometime the microsoft standard mouse software will cause it to not connect properly. that and i have to re-pair everytime i start up cold. But i have decided to just use it with two-button and scroll wheel functionality until apple fully supports it (or microsucks write mac software for it) and it works fine. Can't beat the ergonomics of it. i use it at work all day and at home...

technocoy
2.9 Quad FakePro, 2TB, 8Gigs, 2 9800s, BR/HD DVD
technocoy is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 04:26 PM   #8
Pete_Hoover
macrumors regular

It is not necessary.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers