Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you think advertising the old iMac is dumb?
Yes. Apple Australia is smoking something! 4 57.14%
No. The old iMac is still an important product for Apple. 1 14.29%
Dunno. I'm a fence-sitter and don't want to voice my oppinion. 2 28.57%
What? There's a new iMac? 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 19, 2002, 05:46 PM   #1
Beej
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Beej
iMac Giveaway

There's competition here in Australia where you can buy a bottle of a cleaning product, fill in the form that comes with it, send it in, and you can win one of 21 iMacs.

It would be a pretty good way for Apple to advertise the new G4 iMac - there's ads on TV etc... only problem is, you don't win a G4 iMac. You win a G3 iMac. There's no mention of there even being a new iMac.

This seems ridiculous to me. First of all, why advertise an such an old product? Surely, for the most part Apple wants people to forget about the G3 iMac, and buy the new G4 iMac.

Second, why give away the slowest machine you have to offer? If you win one of these things, you wouldn't complain, but you might notice that it wasn't really a very fast machine... "Hey, how you doin'? Heard you won an iMac! How is it?" -- "Oh, it's ok. Slower than the machines at uni, though..."

Just seems strange to me...

And I just decided to add a poll. "Do you think advertising the old iMac is dumb?"

Last edited by Beej; Mar 19, 2002 at 07:18 PM.
Beej is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2002, 05:59 PM   #2
Durandal7
macrumors 68040

I'm afraid I don't understand, is this an Apple contest or did the cleaning fluid company just have an old iMac sitting around?
Durandal7 is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2002, 07:20 PM   #3
Beej
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Beej
I've sightly edited my first post, so it should make a bit more sense now.

Given you can win one of 21 iMacs, I'm assuming Apple is involved. And when I say 'old' iMacs, I don't mean 2nd hand, I mean the gumdrop shaped G3 iMacs.
Old Mar 19, 2002, 08:40 PM   #4
AlphaTech
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to AlphaTech Send a message via AIM to AlphaTech Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaTech
Maybe one of the local Apple resellers wants to clear some stock, and offered the iMac's at a good price to the contest people... IF they are giving away the same iMac's that Apple is selling at their online store, then they are not old. I had a woman that wants to replace her old (performa 631cd) Mac with a new one (old one is dead). I have advised her to get the $999 (US) iMac since she didn't want to spend too much money. I also advised her to get the AppleCare plan for the computer (excellent covereage for the next 3 years). Becuase she has an ancient printer (same vintage as her performa), I also advised that she get a new one. I love Epson printers, and took her to the web site and pointed out three different models. For what she is doing, the C60 will be great (longer ink life which means less cost for the long run).

She should get a good 5+ years out of it, considering she is not going to give it a ton of use, but wants something that will be usuable for a long time. She also didn't want to spend the money for a G4 iMac. The G3's are either in stock, or shipping fast. I also advised that she call Apple and buy over the phone, and have it shipped to the office. That will eliminate the headaches of being home when it gets delivered. I also advised that she call Epson and deal direct there too. She could probably time the shipping so that they either arrive the same day, or within a few of each other.

If needed, I will assist her in setting the system up. I will have to tell her my after hours rate though, so she might not go for that
main site:theTechPub
store site:store
AlphaTech is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion