Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tijuanamiguel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Hi, i have plugged in my windows formatted internal hard drive as the secondary drive on my mac. obviously, it did not mount and i'm aware that i have to format it to be used on a mac. altough, disk utility fails to erase or first aid repair it, some error comes up saying that it's not possible. is it possible to do such a thing on a mac?

thanks

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Ok first I assume this is a SATA HD. It would be helpful if you told us which PowerMac G5 you have and which version of the MacOS you have. Different versions of the MacOS can handle different types of PC HDs. Also what format is the PC HD in? FAT32? NTSF? All versions of MacOS X can read/write FAT32 I believe, but only newer versions can read NTSF volumes.

Disk First Aid likely won't be able to repair a PC HD, repair is used to repair the directory structure of Mac formatted HDs. Disk Utility should be able to Erase the HD, though.

It sounds like at least Disk Utility can see this HD, but that it won't mount.

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
Well, Disk Utility should still be able to erase it even if it's NTFS formatted. Try booting form start up discs and formatting via Disk Utility on those.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Have you tried to repartition it, or is that part of what you described? You select the drive itself and click repartition. You don't select an existing partition, I'm not sure if that would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.