Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:29 AM   #1
djtet
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Is this a Good Deal on a Power Mac?

Smalldog electronics is offering this refurbished machine...

"G4/1GhzDP 256/80/Superdrive/Radeon9000/56K OS 9 bootable Mirror Door
Condition: factory refurbished, 1 year factory warr
Part Number: 2/APPF8689
Platform: Mac
Price: 1399.00"

Is this a good deal? I'm still trying to decide what machine to buy (dual 1gz, dual 1.25 single G5 1.6). I should have some freelance projects upcoming and then should be able to purchase. I need a new machine for basics, plus photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver and flash...no video or audio. Is this dual 1gz mirrordoor model really old? should be only a year ago, right? since the dual 1.25 is $1599, is this a good deal at $200 less???
Please help again...thanks!
__________________
www.djtet.com
djtet is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:50 AM   #2
allpar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2002
I've been wondering the same, only for me it's a dual 800 at $900.
__________________
Mac statistics software vs big rigs
allpar is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:56 AM   #3
gopher
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Maryland, USA
Send a message via AIM to gopher Send a message via Yahoo to gopher
Re: Is this a Good Deal on a Power Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by djtet
Smalldog electronics is offering this refurbished machine...

"G4/1GhzDP 256/80/Superdrive/Radeon9000/56K OS 9 bootable Mirror Door
Condition: factory refurbished, 1 year factory warr
Part Number: 2/APPF8689
Platform: Mac
Price: 1399.00"

Is this a good deal? I'm still trying to decide what machine to buy (dual 1gz, dual 1.25 single G5 1.6). I should have some freelance projects upcoming and then should be able to purchase. I need a new machine for basics, plus photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver and flash...no video or audio. Is this dual 1gz mirrordoor model really old? should be only a year ago, right? since the dual 1.25 is $1599, is this a good deal at $200 less???
Please help again...thanks!
For your needs you might not even need a G4. Photoshop yes, but if you aren't doing any video the necessities of a G4 lessen.

Are you sure you need Mac OS 9 booting? All those programs are available on Mac OS X bootable machines. The dual 1.25 Ghz is probably the best deal in towers however, you won't be able to upgrade the processor much further. I wouldn't even bother with the 1.6 Ghz G5 since it lacks PCI-X slots and only upgrades to 4 GB of RAM. The 1.8 Ghz G5 has most everything you need and more, and if you want the real advantages of the G5, you get the dual processor G5. Whatever you get, it probably will be more machine than you need.

http://www.macprices.com/

is a good place to start shopping. And don't forget many of these places offer 6 months same as cash, including Apple now.
__________________
[url=http://www.macmaps.com/mac.html]http://www.macmaps.com/mac.html [url]
gopher is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 08:39 AM   #4
djtet
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally posted by allpar
I've been wondering the same, only for me it's a dual 800 at $900.
allpar,
where did you see the dual 800 for $900? I would maybe jump on that deal!!!

gopher,
right now i have all the latest versions of photoshop, illustrator, running on my old g3 300 clamshell ibook (os9)...although it's ok, I need to upgrade. however, i don't want to get a machine that's too much for me in terms of what i would use it for. but i also don't want to sell myself short on any machine. maybe even the single 1.25 g4 would do? however, if a dual machine is only a couple hundred more than why not? see my dillema? oh and price is an issue!!!
__________________
www.djtet.com
djtet is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:13 AM   #5
allpar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2002
Oops. Single processor, dual display. Also, the macprices.com list of "D1 GHz" is filled with single-processor 1 GHz models. I don't think they put too much effort into their list.
__________________
Mac statistics software vs big rigs
allpar is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:15 AM   #6
yzedf
Banned
 
yzedf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to yzedf
No.

$300 more gets you brand new dual 1.25 GHz. Go to www.macmall.com and get 512MB more RAM for $39.99 installed.

You get 25% more proc power for 21% more money. Plus it is new 1.25, not refurb 1.00

IMO, YMMV of course.
yzedf is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:16 AM   #7
Freg3000
macrumors 68000
 
Freg3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Re: Re: Is this a Good Deal on a Power Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by gopher
For your needs you might not even need a G4. Photoshop yes, but if you aren't doing any video the necessities of a G4 lessen.

Are you sure you need Mac OS 9 booting? All those programs are available on Mac OS X bootable machines. The dual 1.25 Ghz is probably the best deal in towers however, you won't be able to upgrade the processor much further. I wouldn't even bother with the 1.6 Ghz G5 since it lacks PCI-X slots and only upgrades to 4 GB of RAM. The 1.8 Ghz G5 has most everything you need and more, and if you want the real advantages of the G5, you get the dual processor G5. Whatever you get, it probably will be more machine than you need.

http://www.macprices.com/

is a good place to start shopping. And don't forget many of these places offer 6 months same as cash, including Apple now.
I don't understand. If he isn't doing audio or video then he doesn't need a G4. Ok, I'll buy that. But then you say don't get the 1.6 G5 because it only has 4 GB of ram? If you aren't doing video, who needs 4 GB of ram?

With that said, I totally agree with your final recommendation. Any machine djtet gets will please him behind his wildest dreams, so it doesn't really matter. I'd personally go for the 1.6 G5, and then for the dual 1.25. The Dual 1 GHz machine is great (I have it myself) but I don't think it would be the best option at this time.

Good Luck.
__________________
FregTK
This Is Momentum.
Freg3000 is offline   0
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:25 AM   #8
djtet
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
thanks...

thanks for all of the advise...

i guess it'll come down to how much $ i get from these freelance projects. if i get enough there's a chance i'd go for the 1.6 g5 without the superdrive and modem, ($2000-$230=$1770). if not it seems like a dual 1.25 g4 will be a great buy that should last me for a few years...at a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the g5!!!
__________________
www.djtet.com
djtet is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a good deal on a Mac Pro? MacBookProAR Mac Pro 2 Nov 12, 2010 11:43 AM
Is this a good deal on a Mac Mini? Patmn Mac mini 21 Feb 21, 2010 01:03 PM
Is this a good deal on Mac Pro HyperX13 Mac Pro 21 Sep 28, 2009 01:57 AM
Is this a good deal on a Mac Mini? 2.0ghz with applecare until 2010... wangchunggti337 Buying Tips and Advice 12 Mar 30, 2009 03:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC