Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 1, 2007, 05:20 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Why Is the Mac More Secure than Windows?




Category: Mac OS X
Link: Why Is the Mac More Secure than Windows?
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:04 PM   #2
DMann
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: 10023
Unix

Windows has thousands of gaping portals to sneak through, thanks to Bill G wanting integration between the OS and the internet. Besides, Unix is a much more stable and secure platform, and has fewer places for spyware to hide and propagate.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jun 3, 2007 at 04:22 AM. Reason: No need to quote the OP in full...
DMann is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:04 PM   #3
joelovesapple
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK
Thought everyone knew this in the tech community.

Unix underpinnings, anyone?
joelovesapple is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:25 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Article has some nice reference links with info on viruses by OS:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/
http://www.wildlist.org/WildList/


"most Windows users hate the Macintosh and, moreover, Mac users"

No way Only a (vocal) minority have emotional ties to Microsoft and against Apple. The majority are not tech-savvy like us forum-goers. The majority don't even THINK about the Mac platform, much less have any reason to hate it. It's not even on their radar when it comes time to choose a new machine.

It makes sense for Mac users to hate Windows (which only a vocal minority do) because we are often forced to use Windows at work. But Windows users are almost never forced to use Macs. (And when they are they don't tend to mind as much as they expected.) So there's really nothing to hate, unless you have that emotional tie to Microsoft and feel insecure about it.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2007, 08:02 AM   #5
SPUY767
macrumors 68000
 
SPUY767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
I stopped reading this tripe after the dumbassed author decided to issue a blanket statement about how Mac users hate Windows.
__________________
Yo' mama's so STUPID, she went to Bangkok to get a TIE Fighter.
SPUY767 is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2007, 08:30 AM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Gotta love eweek's other sensationalist headlines such as "Apple Tries to Plug Holes in Mac OS X Security"... an article which makes no mention of why they use the word "tries."

No FUD here
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2007, 03:52 PM   #7
big_malk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scotland
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Gotta love eweek's other sensationalist headlines such as "Apple Tries to Plug Holes in Mac OS X Security"... an article which makes no mention of why they use the word "tries."

No FUD here
Perhaps they couldn't find any new holes to patch?
big_malk is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2007, 08:03 PM   #8
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030
 
BenRoethig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Send a message via AIM to BenRoethig Send a message via Yahoo to BenRoethig
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMann View Post
Windows has thousands of gaping portals to sneak through, thanks to Bill G wanting integration between the OS and the internet. Besides, Unix is a much more stable and secure platform, and has fewer places for spyware to hide and propagate.
Windows also has a lot of legacy code in there to make it more backwards compatible. Apple thankfully made the tough choice to sacrifice backwards compatibility (to a degree) for a totally new operating system designed for the internet age. The transition was hard, but I'm glad they did it.
__________________
When did Think Different become Conform Always?
BenRoethig is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030
 
Analog Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Mostly a rehash of everything we've heard before. A few quotes worth highlighting though:
Quote:
Consider this: The Mac is the most homogeneous computing platform in the world. That should make it the most vulnerable. Instead, it has the strongest real-world record when it comes to exploits.
This is an important point-- any potential attacker can have a pretty good idea of what the system is they're attacking when it comes to the Mac. We're almost all running identical configurations.

The flip side of that is that almost all of us stay patched up, as well. I wish someone would analyze the differences between Apple's software update and Microsoft's and figure out why Apple has been more successful. Is it in the implementation, is it differences in trust for allowing the two companies to install software automatically, is it that Apple has had a better (though not perfect) track record in not causing more problems than they solve?
Quote:
"No one has come up with a good vector to spread infection on the Mac; that's what stymies people," he said. "Even if you came up with the world's best Wi-Fi exploit drive around the city, and actually take ownership of 100 Macs, even then, with root-level access on a Mac, you can't just deploy [an exploit] exponentially or even arithmetically. You can't even add one more," he said.
There's the key. I think this is for a few reasons. Most of the exploits publicized have been local, not net-borne. Apple's public interface is pretty robust, and, as stated over and over, most services are turned off because it's easy to know what to turn on and what to turn off. This is also where market share plays in-- I don't buy the argument that with 5% marketshare we should have 5% of the viruses. Computer viruses, like biological ones, require host to host contact to spread, otherwise they die off. With fewer machines, they will spread at a slower rate than their mortality rate.

Of course this there isn't a pure mathmatical way estimate that either, at least not without taking into account the fact that Mac users tend to cluster and seek each other out when using certain services.

Quote:
As I said before, Mac users love the Mac. Most don't want to do something that will harm the platform. That loyalty includes programmers. So they avoid attacking other Mac users and stick to Windows. That's an easier and more successful target anyway.
This is worth highlighting simply because it is the stupidest security argument I've ever heard.
__________________
Only trolls use the word "fanboy".
Analog Kid is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:57 PM   #10
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000
 
PCMacUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
I stopped reading this tripe after the dumbassed author decided to issue a blanket statement about how Mac users hate Windows.
The VAST majority of Mac users I know do hate Windows. In fact, I don't think I have met a single Mac user who doesn't mind Windows. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
It makes sense for Mac users to hate Windows (which only a vocal minority do) because we are often forced to use Windows at work. But Windows users are almost never forced to use Macs. (And when they are they don't tend to mind as much as they expected.) So there's really nothing to hate, unless you have that emotional tie to Microsoft and feel insecure about it.
I disagree with your argument here. It doesn't make sense for Mac users to hate Windows because they're forced to use them at work. When you are employed by a company, they are paying you to do a job, not to have fun messing around with an operating system. It's like saying 'I prefer to use red screwdrivers, because red is my favourite colour. I hate blue screwdrivers'. In a workplace you use computers as a tool, not a toy.

If you use a Windows computer in the workplace, you have to ask yourself 'why do I use a Windows PC?'. Chances are, the software that you are using on it is not available on the Mac platform (that's certainly the case for the jobs I've had). Therefore, if you are using a Windows computer and you'd rather be using a Mac, it should make you hate the software companies who refuse to make Mac versions of your software, rather than Windows.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; MacBook 2.26GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; iPhone 3GS ; 80Gb iPod Classic ; 1Gb Shuffle ; AirPort Express

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jun 3, 2007 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts, please use the edit or multiquote button...
PCMacUser is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:41 PM   #11
FullmetalZ26
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMacUser View Post
It's like saying 'I prefer to use red screwdrivers, because red is my favourite colour. I hate blue screwdrivers'. In a workplace you use computers as a tool, not a toy.
I don't think this is a close enough analogy. We're not just talking about 'messing around' with a toy, we're talking about getting things done. Say you're required to use scroll saws at work. You prefer using jigsaws. Jigsaws may be a little more difficult to cut around corners with, but they handle knots and tough spots in the wood better, and the blades don't tend to snap in half like the blades on scroll saws do. In short: Mac users may become irritated that Windows machines at work, which are often not well maintained, can be problematic much more than their own beloved machines are at home. I can attest to this, as our CRM software at work runs only with IE6, .NET and Java. As you can imagine, it's slow, flaky, and tends to require frequent clearing of the Java and IE caches to keep it working.
FullmetalZ26 is offline   0
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:51 PM   #12
JNB
macrumors 604
 
JNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In a Hell predominately of my own making
Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullmetalZ26 View Post
our CRM software at work runs only with IE6, .NET and Java. As you can imagine, it's slow, flaky, and tends to require frequent clearing of the Java and IE caches to keep it working.
That sounds horrifyingly familiar...
__________________

JNB is offline   0
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:27 AM   #13
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000
 
PCMacUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullmetalZ26 View Post
I don't think this is a close enough analogy. We're not just talking about 'messing around' with a toy, we're talking about getting things done. Say you're required to use scroll saws at work. You prefer using jigsaws. Jigsaws may be a little more difficult to cut around corners with, but they handle knots and tough spots in the wood better, and the blades don't tend to snap in half like the blades on scroll saws do.
Well, my analogy was a little rough I'll admit! But I think ultimately, if someone has difficulty getting their work done on a Windows PC, then clearly some training is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullmetalZ26 View Post
I can attest to this, as our CRM software at work runs only with IE6, .NET and Java. As you can imagine, it's slow, flaky, and tends to require frequent clearing of the Java and IE caches to keep it working.
This kind of illustrates why we can't always blame Windows. You're obviously stuck using crappy CRM software. The software company should produce a better product. I'm not going to tell you to buy new CRM software though... The company I've been working for is planning on purchasing some and the price is somewhere around $1 million. And that's just for the disks.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; MacBook 2.26GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; iPhone 3GS ; 80Gb iPod Classic ; 1Gb Shuffle ; AirPort Express
PCMacUser is offline   0
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:56 AM   #14
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMacUser View Post
In a workplace you use computers as a tool, not a toy.
"Just a tool" is an often-repeated argument for why Windows is "good enough." As though every OS is equally good at everything except being fun. But that's not the case. Preferring a BETTER tool--one that is easier to use, less trouble-prone, requires less support and training, has more features, works with you instead of annoying you, or whatever--makes good sense.

As for not hating Windows because it's not Microsoft's fault... well, some things are MS's fault and some aren't, but the effect is the same. Luckily, MS and Windows don't have feelings to be hurt Some Windows USERS do though, if they feel an emotional tie to Microsoft. (Which is a weird concept, but clearly true--for a vocal minority who can't stand to hear bad things about Windows.)

My point was simply that people often have to use Windows when they'd prefer Macs, while the reverse is seldom true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid View Post
There's the key. I think this is for a few reasons. Most of the exploits publicized have been local, not net-borne. Apple's public interface is pretty robust, and, as stated over and over, most services are turned off because it's easy to know what to turn on and what to turn off. This is also where market share plays in-- I don't buy the argument that with 5% marketshare we should have 5% of the viruses. Computer viruses, like biological ones, require host to host contact to spread, otherwise they die off. With fewer machines, they will spread at a slower rate than their mortality rate.
Agreed that the mathematical relationship would not be 1-to-1. (It would, however, be greater than zero, if OS X and Windows were truly equal in their security design, as some would have us think.)

And any mathematical comparison tends to single out just one or two factors--like number of patches, or number of patches this month, or number of users on the Internet. In reality, it's never so simple. Lots of factors add up to the actual current security situation for a given OS:

* Underlying design of the OS on multiple levels
* The default security and updating settings for the OS
* Complexity of the code for the OS and bundled third-party components
* Bugginess or stability of the OS and third-party components
* Number of people looking for vulnerabilities, and the tools available for doing so
* Number and frequency of patches
* Whether a vulnerability is revealed to the vendor first or to the public
* How quickly patches came out after vulnerabilities are discovered
* How often the patches break other things
* How easily the patches are distributed and installed
* How much the company issuing the patches is trusted by its users
* How many unpatched vulnerabilities have been discovered
* How many vulnerabilities are still waiting to be discovered
* How easy each vulnerability is to implement
* What each vulnerability can actually achieve once exploited
* How much malware exists to exploit each vulnerability
* How effective anti-malware apps are against that malware
* What publically available tools and information exist to help create such malware
* How many users of the OS are on the Internet
* What their habits and security settings are
* What levels of technical know-how and naivety they exhibit
* What versions of the OS and anti-malware software they are running
* What third-party apps they run
* What profit is to be gained by attacking those users
* What prestige is to be gained by attacking those users
* What personal destructive satisfaction is to be gained by attacking those users
* The likelihood of the above factors getting worse or better over time, and how quickly
* What people perceive about the above factors, vs. the reality
* Who gets the "blame" or "credit" for the above factors are (if that even matters)

Given all that complexity, it makes little sense when people single out a couple of factors and a couple of anecdotes and say that Windows is as secure as Mac OS X (or better). So how can we look at that big, complex picture, and figure out whether Macs are more secure or not?

Well, duh... Macs still don't have any successful malware

But people will continue to say that "doesn't matter," or that it's always "just about to change completely for the worse." They apply whatever reasons they can come up with by singling out certain details from the larger picture, and completely miss the forest for the trees: there is no way that Macs will be anywhere NEAR as susceptible to attack as Windows, ANY time in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jun 3, 2007 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts, please use the edit or multiquote button...
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jun 3, 2007, 01:42 AM   #15
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMacUser View Post
Well, my analogy was a little rough I'll admit! But I think ultimately, if someone has difficulty getting their work done on a Windows PC, then clearly some training is required.
Or, clearly, the particular Windows software one is using is inferior to the equivalent Mac software. If some of the programs I regularly use are cross platform and the Mac version is better no amount of Windows training is going to improve my Windows experience.

Your screw driver analogy is flawed because it assumes everything is functionally equal and only superficially different. A better analogy might be using a Snap-On screwdriver vs a Craftsman screwdriver.


Lethal
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Jun 3, 2007, 01:57 AM   #16
inkswamp
macrumors 68020
 
inkswamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
That whole argument about how Macs are only safer because of their low marketshare has always struck me as a way for MS apologists/Apple haters to simultaneously write off any criticism of MS and take a slap at Macs.

Here are a couple of things I always point out when this argument comes up.

1. Macs, unlike in the 90s, are now Unix computers. They run many of the same processes and daemons that Unix and Linux machines run. From that perspective, they are part of a much larger market than machines just sold by Apple. So, where are all the viruses and exploits?

2. Apache has a larger marketshare than IIS, but it's the latter that has more security issues and they are typically more serious ones. (BTW, this is not my observation. I read this in an article a couple years ago.)

Seems to me the common thread here, and the most logical explanation, is Microsoft being inattentive to security when it comes to writing software. That seems a more likely explanation than the Mac's marketshare.
inkswamp is offline   0
Old Jun 3, 2007, 04:10 AM   #17
solvs
macrumors 601
 
solvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: LaLaLand, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
That whole argument about how Macs are only safer because of their low marketshare has always struck me as a way for MS apologists/Apple haters to simultaneously write off any criticism of MS and take a slap at Macs.
And that others with even lower marketshare had viruses. Forgetting Vista, which had a virus before it even came out, and WinCE, OS 9 and before have had viruses, despite lower marketshare. Even Linux is not immune, Linux on iPod even had a virus (talk about low marketshare), so it's not just the UNIX base.
__________________
True love never dies
The only thing more dangerous than a woman scorned, is a man with nothing left to lose...
solvs is offline   0
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:19 AM   #18
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000
 
PCMacUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
Your screw driver analogy is flawed because it assumes everything is functionally equal and only superficially different.
Um, actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. I believe that Windows and OS X are functionally equal and only superficially different. Each has its own operational strengths. Sure there might be a few security holes in Windows (as there are in OS X), but nothing that a little bit of common sense can overcome. It's like locking the house before going shopping, or wearing a seatbelt in a car. Sure, in an ideal world we wouldn't have to do those things, but hey, it's all about reality. And the reality is that most business software is designed for Windows; equivalents don't exist in the OS X platform 90% of the time, and either way, big corporations only want to deal with respectable companies - which rules out most OS X-friendly software houses (no offence meant here, but there's only a handful of well-knowns, eg, Adobe, Roxio, um...?).

Please don't misinterpret me though, I only have one computer at home, and that's an iBook running Tiger. It's great for that stuff, browsing, e-mail, multimedia, but when it comes to business and 'out of the square' kind of things, Windows has the edge.

<Braces for flames>
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; MacBook 2.26GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; iPhone 3GS ; 80Gb iPod Classic ; 1Gb Shuffle ; AirPort Express
PCMacUser is offline   0
Old Jun 3, 2007, 07:08 AM   #19
solvs
macrumors 601
 
solvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: LaLaLand, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMacUser View Post
I believe that Windows and OS X are functionally equal and only superficially different.
As a person who does support for both, I can tell you that is patently false.
__________________
True love never dies
The only thing more dangerous than a woman scorned, is a man with nothing left to lose...
solvs is offline   0
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:31 AM   #20
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
There are a lot of reason why OSX is more secure than windows. One reason that can not be removed is market share and you also have "taking down the man" mentality that also hits M$. Plus because of the legacy code issue it hurts m$. You have to remember M$ cab not drop it like apple did because of it raw size. M$ size size is one of the reasons they move slower. Apple is a fairly small company and can easily adapt and adjust to new problems.

You have to give m$ credits for finally changing the default setting on windows updates to automatic installing them. Just the default time is rather crappy unless you never turn your computer off. I think it should default to installing the updates when they come in and set an automatic reboot when required to 3-4am by default because that would get the people who turn off their computer every night the updates installed. Most of the computers that have virus/worm problems are the ones that are not up-to-date.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:54 AM   #21
jettredmont
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMacUser View Post
Um, actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. I believe that Windows and OS X are functionally equal and only superficially different. Each has its own operational strengths. Sure there might be a few security holes in Windows (as there are in OS X), but nothing that a little bit of common sense can overcome. It's like locking the house before going shopping, or wearing a seatbelt in a car. Sure, in an ideal world we wouldn't have to do those things, but hey, it's all about reality.
Yes, in both you have to lock the door before leaving the house. Just happens that to "lock" the Windows door you have to hire a contractor or nail the doors and windows shut and when locked you're functionally crippled (because you can't open the windows and doors).

Yet another pathetic log on the computer analogy bonfire ...

Quote:
And the reality is that most business software is designed for Windows; equivalents don't exist in the OS X platform 90% of the time, and either way, big corporations only want to deal with respectable companies - which rules out most OS X-friendly software houses (no offence meant here, but there's only a handful of well-knowns, eg, Adobe, Roxio, um...?).
Why would you equate "respectable" and "well-known"? I'd take one or two OmniGroups and BareBones over the thousands of shaky VB houses on Windows any day ...
jettredmont is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:58 AM   #22
anti-microsoft
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
I stopped reading this tripe after the dumbassed author decided to issue a blanket statement about how Mac users hate Windows.
Some of them do
anti-microsoft is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:11 AM   #23
DMann
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: 10023
Enormously Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMacUser View Post
Um, actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. I believe that Windows and OS X are functionally equal and only superficially different. Each has its own operational strengths. Sure there might be a few security holes in Windows (as there are in OS X), but nothing that a little bit of common sense can overcome. It's like locking the house before going shopping, or wearing a seatbelt in a car. Sure, in an ideal world we wouldn't have to do those things, but hey, it's all about reality. And the reality is that most business software is designed for Windows; equivalents don't exist in the OS X platform 90% of the time, and either way, big corporations only want to deal with respectable companies - which rules out most OS X-friendly software houses (no offence meant here, but there's only a handful of well-knowns, eg, Adobe, Roxio, um...?).

Please don't misinterpret me though, I only have one computer at home, and that's an iBook running Tiger. It's great for that stuff, browsing, e-mail, multimedia, but when it comes to business and 'out of the square' kind of things, Windows has the edge.
<Braces for flames>
Night and day, and much more than superficially different....... Vista has me trapped in a cave with no openings, and still, the malware sneaks in. Incidentally, equivalents indeed do exist 97% of the time. For those few which don't, Parallels works just fine. When Leopard comes out, we'll likely be able to run all Windows apps without launching Windows at all.
DMann is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:32 PM   #24
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000
 
PCMacUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettredmont View Post
Yes, in both you have to lock the door before leaving the house. Just happens that to "lock" the Windows door you have to hire a contractor or nail the doors and windows shut and when locked you're functionally crippled (because you can't open the windows and doors).

Yet another pathetic log on the computer analogy bonfire ...



Why would you equate "respectable" and "well-known"? I'd take one or two OmniGroups and BareBones over the thousands of shaky VB houses on Windows any day ...
I think you've just demonstrated the 'hate' factor amongst OS X users against Windows. Well done!

You also managed to belittle me by saying that my analogy was 'pathetic'. You get a hate bonus point for that. Nice one.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; MacBook 2.26GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; iPhone 3GS ; 80Gb iPod Classic ; 1Gb Shuffle ; AirPort Express
PCMacUser is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:36 PM   #25
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000
 
PCMacUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs View Post
As a person who does support for both, I can tell you that is patently false.
Well, as someone who does support for both, I can tell you that it is true

Come on mate, we all have different experiences right? In the last organisation where I was supporting both Macs and PCs, we had about 10% Macs and 90% PCs. But the support problems we had with the Macs took 50% of our time to fix. Usually they involved reformatting hard drives and reinstalling the OS. On the Windows PCs you could usually just reinstall the app and it was working again. So there you go... different experiences, different conclusions.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; MacBook 2.26GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; iPhone 3GS ; 80Gb iPod Classic ; 1Gb Shuffle ; AirPort Express
PCMacUser is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Version Of Mac OS More Secure? max87 OS X 6 Jun 10, 2013 02:24 AM
Secure File Sharing - Windows to Mac on WiFi Cyber Don MacBook Pro 7 Jun 5, 2013 07:58 AM
Mac web hosting or anything reliable and secure gugy Web Design and Development 11 Nov 29, 2012 01:39 PM
Keeping a Windows VM secure laserbeam273 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 10 Aug 27, 2012 07:20 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC