Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tacos!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Hi guys,
I have a copy of XP that came with my old dell, now if I reformat the dell, can I install xp using this serial number?? It is actually a dell disk that says "Operating System: Windows XP Home". If this isn't illegal, Is there a method i can use to update my disk to SP2? I mean take the files off of the disk, and patch them then reburn them onto another DVD/CD?
Thanks,
Justin

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I think depends which country you live in, the problem is activating Windows again.

If you live in the US you probably will have a problem, but in Europe you'll probably be OK.

You can update the disk to SP2 using slipstreaming.

Tacos!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I think depends which country you live in, the problem is activating Windows again.

If you live in the US you probably will have a problem, but in Europe you'll probably be OK.

You can update the disk to SP2 using slipstreaming.
I live in the USA, what do you mean by "activating" windows?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Well, Is there a way i can deactivate it? Would i have to call M$ up?

The thing is that your Dell has a licence of Windows only for that individual machine, so you aren't allowed to now install it on your Mac. However if you live in Europe (or at least the UK) they aren't allowed to restrict you like that.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I'm confused if you're asking if you can reinstall XP on your Dell or if you can use the cd on a Mac? Obviously if you're trying to reinstall the Dell you can do that because the disk came with it. Also, there's no activation of WindowsXP when you install it using the Dell CDs on a Dell computer. The version of Windows detects the Dell BIOS and doesn't require activation. Take that same version and install it on another computer, your Mac for example, and it will require activation.

If the question is whether or not you can install it on your Mac, the answer is no. Legally that CD is bound to the computer it came with.

Tacos!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I'm confused if you're asking if you can reinstall XP on your Dell or if you can use the cd on a Mac? Obviously if you're trying to reinstall the Dell you can do that because the disk came with it. Also, there's no activation of WindowsXP when you install it using the Dell CDs on a Dell computer. The version of Windows detects the Dell BIOS and doesn't require activation. Take that same version and install it on another computer, your Mac for example, and it will require activation.

If the question is whether or not you can install it on your Mac, the answer is no. Legally that CD is bound to the computer it came with.

Alright, Thanks. One more quick question, Would Bootcamp work with this http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...0009?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1180791236&sr=1-3
Also does home work fine with bootcamp? I don't want to spend extra on professional. I plan to do some casual gaming and run a few apps.
-Justin

JNB

macrumors 604
The thing is that your Dell has a licence of Windows only for that individual machine, so you aren't allowed to now install it on your Mac.

Legally that CD is bound to the computer it came with.

From MS: "Windows XP is primarily licensed for use on a single PC " The concept here (and it has always been this way with single-user or seat licenses) is that the purchased copy of XP is licensed for use on a "single CPU" or machine at a time.

I could install my copy of XP on a hundred machines, so long as the preceding machines had the installation removed with each subsequent new installation.

MS has allowed the misconception to persist that it is OK to tie the license to a particular serialized hardware combination, which is BS. Ultimately, the only "enforcable" provision of the EULA is the "one machine at a time" part. Look into the details of the hardware hash, with aging and component weighting. It's annoying & enlightening simultaneously.

So, as long as your Dell has had its copy of WinXP uninstalled, you are free to install that recovery copy (same license key) on to another machine. Keep in mind, the purchase price of the Dell included a licensed copy of XP separately.

And, as a side note, being in violation of a private corporation's EULA is not the same as "illegal." That's reserved for governments to decide. If the EULA is written to follow the DCMA, for example, then those portions would then be unlawful to violate. All Microsoft can do is sue you; they can't arrest you...

The final arbiter of whether you are within the letter (or spirit, anyway) of the EULA is you. Go ahead & install that copy of XP. If you can still boot the Dell into Windows after that, you're in violation.

Scrub the Dell, and install Ubuntu. Or get Parallels & install Ubuntu in a VM on the Mac. Then find a boat needing an anchor. That'll make a good home for the Dell ;)

Tacos!

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
From MS: "Windows XP is primarily licensed for use on a single PC " The concept here (and it has always been this way with single-user or seat licenses) is that the purchased copy of XP is licensed for use on a "single CPU" or machine at a time.

I could install my copy of XP on a hundred machines, so long as the preceding machines had the installation removed with each subsequent new installation.

MS has allowed the misconception to persist that it is OK to tie the license to a particular serialized hardware combination, which is BS. Ultimately, the only "enforcable" provision of the EULA is the "one machine at a time" part. Look into the details of the hardware hash, with aging and component weighting. It's annoying & enlightening simultaneously.

So, as long as your Dell has had its copy of WinXP uninstalled, you are free to install that recovery copy (same license key) on to another machine. Keep in mind, the purchase price of the Dell included a licensed copy of XP separately.

And, as a side note, being in violation of a private corporation's EULA is not the same as "illegal." That's reserved for governments to decide. If the EULA is written to follow the DCMA, for example, then those portions would then be unlawful to violate. All Microsoft can do is sue you; they can't arrest you...

The final arbiter of whether you are within the letter (or spirit, anyway) of the EULA is you. Go ahead & install that copy of XP. If you can still boot the Dell into Windows after that, you're in violation.

Scrub the Dell, and install Ubuntu. Or get Parallels & install Ubuntu in a VM on the Mac. Then find a boat needing an anchor. That'll make a good home for the Dell ;)

Thank you very much! So basically, what you are saying is as long as my dell is formated, and no os is installed, i can run XP on my mac...Correct? Could i still get sued though?
-Justin

JNB

macrumors 604
Thank you very much! So basically, what you are saying is as long as my dell is formated, and no os is installed, i can run XP on my mac...Correct? Could i still get sued though?
-Justin

The license is for one machine at a time, so assuming the Dell no longer has its preinstalled instance of Windows extant, then you are free to install that copy of XP on any ONE machine you desire. I wouldn't worry about lawsuits...

As has been noted previously, though, you must have SP2. You can slipstream that in, or you can just aquire a fresh copy of XPSP2, which is what I'd recommend. Less headaches, and you can get Pro that way (Home is about useless).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.