Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 3, 2007, 04:50 AM   #1
christophertin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Adding a third monitor to G5 2.5 DP?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone solved this problem yet? I'd like to add a third monitor to my G5 music workstation (I'm thinking some sort of touch screen, like a Planar 15", or even one of those 9" little car touch-screen displays). In order to accomplish this, however, I need a third video port for my G5.

Seems to me like the way to do that would be to find a PCI-X graphics card. They don't exactly seem to be in abundant supply, though. Anyone know of any?

Chris
christophertin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 07:19 AM   #2
JeffDM
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophertin View Post
Seems to me like the way to do that would be to find a PCI-X graphics card. They don't exactly seem to be in abundant supply, though. Anyone know of any?
I have not heard of any. I thought there were regular PCI video cards that were OS X compatible. One of those should work.
JeffDM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:33 PM   #3
christophertin
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
I have not heard of any. I thought there were regular PCI video cards that were OS X compatible. One of those should work.
Are G5 2.5 DPs backwards compatible with regular PCI cards?
christophertin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:38 PM   #4
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5
 
CanadaRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI
Look for a Radeon Mac PCI card and you're laughing

PCI-e is the incompatible one.
__________________
Expert
Ex = former, no longer. Spurt = a leak, esp. when caused by water pressure. Expert = a has-been drip under pressure.
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:59 PM   #5
christophertin
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post
PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI
Look for a Radeon Mac PCI card and you're laughing

PCI-e is the incompatible one.
Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-9200-...QQcmdZViewItem

So if I add this to my system, in addition to the two monitors I'm powering from my AGP 8x card, I'll be able to add on two more monitors for a total of FOUR?

I'll be laughing indeed!
christophertin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 02:19 PM   #6
JeffDM
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophertin View Post
Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-9200-...QQcmdZViewItem

So if I add this to my system, in addition to the two monitors I'm powering from my AGP 8x card, I'll be able to add on two more monitors for a total of FOUR?

I'll be laughing indeed!
I think that will work. That chip wasn't even considered high performance when it was released as a 9200, but I think it should be a lot more than enough for your needs.
JeffDM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 07:44 PM   #7
christophertin
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Thanks, everyone!
christophertin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PowerPC G5 2.5 DP Early 2005 .. Possible Kernal Panic.. Please Help!! djmikeyc PowerPC Macs 2 Dec 27, 2010 12:34 PM
Adding a Third Hd To My Powermac G5 ahollywoodcraig Mac Basics and Help 0 Sep 6, 2009 04:28 AM
G5 2.5 DP No Longer Recognizes SATA Drive B Moof1904 Mac Basics and Help 4 Mar 4, 2007 06:21 PM
Adding a third HD to a DP G4 QS crachoar Macintosh Computers 8 Mar 7, 2005 09:25 PM
FS: G5 2.0GHz DP/512MB/160GB/SuperDrive/R9600PRO/Restore CDs IllSaint Marketplace Archive 1 (Posts count) 7 Jun 22, 2004 10:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC