Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Thanks for posting this info. I didn't hear about this update. It seems like it only has a few small new things and bug fixes, but it's good to have the update. It won't work in OS 9, though.:mad:

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by Pete_Hoover
I think I will stick with safari.

Mozilla is a lot faster than Safari, so I will be using v1.4. There is no difference from what I can see between Netscape 7.1 and Mozilla 1.4, but I prefer to use Mozilla since it gets updated more frequently.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
While I use Safari on my mac i find netscape 7.1 quite useful on my pc, the only thing i don't like is that it still got some bad tab integration, but I think it is mostly better than any other windows browser.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
mozilla 1.4 or camino?

since Safari still has some problems with some of my favorite websites... (please don't ask me which ones, too much to list)

i still depend on a second browser. as of now, i use camino as my second browser. is camino better than mozilla 1.4?

comments are welcome. thx.

whiskeybravo

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Pennsylvania
Re: mozilla 1.4 or camino?

Originally posted by redAPPLE
since Safari still has some problems with some of my favorite websites... (please don't ask me which ones, too much to list)

i still depend on a second browser. as of now, i use camino as my second browser. is camino better than mozilla 1.4?

comments are welcome. thx.

Camino is based on the same rendering engine as Mozilla. It should render pages exactly the same, it just doesn't include the mail, newsreader, composer, etc. Any security issues will be exactly the same.

bcsimac

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
Bolivar, TN
I downloaded it and still use it for certain sites

I downloaded Netscape 7.1 and still use it for certain sites. I don't know though if Netscape will be around much longer after the Mozilla guys make the switch from current suite development to firebird and thunderbird (phoenix and minataur). I am not sure if it makes any sense to release a Netscape browser after the switch to Firebird and etc. I guess only time will tell!

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
AOL doesn't even use Netscape?!?

I can't imagine that Netscape is anything more than a hobby for AOL these days considering they don't even use it for THEIR OWN browser within the AOL software. Back when there was the Netscape buyout I thought for sure it would be payback time to Microsoft (from AOL, ironically). But, NO, I think there was some underlying threat from MS to AOL that they better keep the MSIE built in to AOL or else. OK, conspiracy theory?

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Originally posted by hvfsl
Mozilla is a lot faster than Safari, so I will be using v1.4. There is no difference from what I can see between Netscape 7.1 and Mozilla 1.4, but I prefer to use Mozilla since it gets updated more frequently.

I like Mozilla and Netscape, but is it possible just to download a browser only version for OS X??? Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance...

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
it's such a shame that netscape fell off. they used to be the browser of choice for everyone who wasn't a sheep in the Microsoft herd. bah, now no one will even go near the browser....

bcsimac

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
Bolivar, TN
Re: AOL doesn't even use Netscape?!?

Not true man! AOL uses Gecko as built-in browser for AOL for Mac OS X. I don't know what they use in the windows version.....but then again I don't care because I don't use windows. You would be right about IE being the browser for AOL if you are talking about the classic 5.0 version.

Originally posted by BigJayhawk
I can't imagine that Netscape is anything more than a hobby for AOL these days considering they don't even use it for THEIR OWN browser within the AOL software. Back when there was the Netscape buyout I thought for sure it would be payback time to Microsoft (from AOL, ironically). But, NO, I think there was some underlying threat from MS to AOL that they better keep the MSIE built in to AOL or else. OK, conspiracy theory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.