Mac OS X Tiger vs. Windows Vista - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:17 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Mac OS X Tiger vs. Windows Vista

Category: Apple Software
Link: Mac OS X Tiger vs. Windows Vista
Description:: In the battle for personal computing dominance, these systems go ten rounds to determine which OS takes the spoils.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

How Vista wins out on search and media is beyond me..
Peace is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
patioman
macrumors newbie

They had to let it win a little bit. The only reason, they say, that Vista has a better search is because the search function is clearly labeled, whereas Mac OS X has only a little magnifying class icon in its search box. But, um, once you get used to the magnifying glass, as a novice user, how is that in any way a complication? Moronic.
patioman is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
justflie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Had to throw Redmond at least a little bone I'm surprised that the article didn't mention Leopard at all. If OS X Tiger wins out this time around, how much better will Leopard beat up on Vista come October (or before)?
justflie is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
DMann
Banned

Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes View Post

Category: Apple Software
Link: Mac OS X Tiger vs. Windows Vista
Description:: In the battle for personal computing dominance, these systems go ten rounds to determine which OS takes the spoils.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
Doesn't matter, Tiger still wins. They had to give Vista some advantages, and it is not common knowledge that spotlight can be re-indexed using Onyx or TinkerTool, and ought to be re-indexed at least once a month. This dramatically improves search accuracy as well as speed. Other great improvements will be seen in Leopard.
DMann is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:43 PM   #6
casik
macrumors regular

Quote:
amen to that... media player is a freakin joke, and as if iPhoto doesn't kick butt compared to whatever windows named their "photo editor program"

oh and i side note for them... you still need iTunes to use an apple TV on a pc...
casik is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:47 PM   #7
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflie View Post
Had to throw Redmond at least a little bone I'm surprised that the article didn't mention Leopard at all.
It did, in the Backup section
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:50 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

Kind of a weird article, but they do like Tiger despite a few oversights like saying Vista has parental controls and Tiger does not (it does). Vista only "wins" in 3 of 10 categories (and ties in 1). They actually seem to be grasping at straws to find anything nice to say about Vista

That's OK, throwing the Vista fans a bone or two takes the edge off of the expected cries of pro-Mac bias

Quote:

They explain why Vista has better Search: because it's easier to discover the Search feature. The reasons for that:

a) It is integrated into every folder window. (Ummm... wait--so is Tiger's. It's in Open/Save boxes too, and integrated with many individual apps.)

b) Search is more clearly labeled. OS X just uses a magnifying glass icon, but Vista has a real text phrase, "Search the computer," AND a magnifying glass icon. (And yet... this is hidden until you click the Start menu, while OS X's search is always there all the time.)

They also explain why Windows is better at Media, despite loving OS X's iMovie and GarageBand:

a) Windows Media Player has a more intuitive UI than iTunes because it has separate categories for different media types like music and movies (wait, so does iTunes) and a fast search (like iTunes) and because it has Forward and Back buttons.

b) Windows can access Microsoft's URGE music service, not just iTunes Music Store.

c) Vista has few games of its own, but it has lots of XP games--although some have problems running.

Vista also wins in Networking, because:

a) The Airport app where you manage your list of preferred wireless networks takes a moment to open, while Vista's list opens instantly.

b) Vista has all networking and sharing controls in one pane, while OS X has separate network and sharing panes.

Here's the scorecard:
http://laptopmag.com/Features/Mac-OS...ta.htm?Page=12
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:50 PM   #9
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by patioman View Post
They had to let it win a little bit. The only reason, they say, that Vista has a better search is because the search function is clearly labeled, whereas Mac OS X has only a little magnifying class icon in its search box.
That's true, but the "Find" menu option is still present in the Finder where it has always been and that seems just as clearly labeled as the search feature on Windows.

In fact, if you want to split hairs, the interface for the Mac's find feature itself is far better and more straightforward than Windows. With Windows, you have feature overkill and have to click several options to get to the actual search. I think the idea that Windows search is better is a total joke.
inkswamp is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:52 PM   #10
elppa
macrumors 68040

Let's see what's been cooking at Cupertino for the past 2 and a half years.

MS do have a harder job on their hands getting Windows out (more devices, poorer architecture etc.) so it is good that Vista gets close.

It will be interesting to see where the platform goes from here. From what I heard a lot more quality control went into Vista so they are starting from a better base next time around.
elppa is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:54 PM   #11
justflie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofreak View Post
It did, in the Backup section
That's what I get for reading so quickly! Good call.
justflie is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 01:01 PM   #12
nagromme
macrumors G4

Don't forget--no matter how much better Tiger is than Vista--or how much better Leopard will soon be than both--Microsoft is working on their next OS after Vista. Around 2013 (if it takes them the same time Vista took) we will see what they come up with, and it might turn out to be really good, while Apple might not release anything new for six years after Leopard
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Sunrunner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
While Apple might not release anything new for six years after Leopard
Sarcasm I assume?
Sunrunner is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 01:38 PM   #14
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to BenRoethig Send a message via Yahoo to BenRoethig
I can see a couple points.

1. Sharing on the Mac is not as intuitive as it could be.

2. iPhoto is very good, but it could use a couple new features like finder integration and better light editing tools. There are many more things I can do in HP's photosmart studio than I can iTunes.

3. For the media center, I only other thing I can think of is a complete lack of a PVR in front row. I know Steve Jobs doesn't watch TV, I can buy eyeTV for $150 and blah, blah, blah, but I'm not Steve Jobs. I want a situation where I can have my Mac replace my VCR and have the Cubs or Bears games or one of my shows I have to miss streamed to my TV upstairs via AppleTV quickly and easily. Apple could buy Elgato for pocket change and have a better mediacenter solution than windows.

The one major point I completely disagree with is vista winning the media center section because it can run iTunes. It can't in a full screen media center environment.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 01:40 PM   #15
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post
3. For the media center, I only other thing I can think of is a complete lack of a PVR in front row. I know Steve Jobs doesn't watch TV, I can buy eyeTV for $150 and blah, blah, blah, but I'm not Steve Jobs. I want a situation where I can have my Mac replace my VCR and have the Cubs or Bears games or one of my shows I have to miss streamed to my TV upstairs via AppleTV quickly and easily. Apple could buy Elgato for pocket change and have a better mediacenter solution than windows.
CenterStage is an awesome looking up-and-coming app that is in Alpha stage right now
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:01 PM   #16
whenpaulsparks
macrumors regular

of course Tiger has the better interface. yes, vista's search is better than Spotlight, sorry to say.

but i stopped reading when i saw that they made Vista the winner for media. that's ridiculous.
whenpaulsparks is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:14 PM   #17
Jopling
macrumors 6502

Don't forget media central

http://www.equinux.com/us/products/m...ral/index.html
Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:17 PM   #18
anubis72
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofreak View Post
CenterStage is an awesome looking up-and-coming app that is in Alpha stage right now
CenterStage has been in the alpha stages for at least a year or more, so I don't think it can be called "up-and-coming" anymore (depending on when you discover it, I guess). Same with iTheater. Both are more or less vaporware. MediaCenter is probably the best of the three, but I don't think any of the third party solutions are even close to being up to snuff yet. I just wonder how Front Row will be under Leopard...
anubis72 is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 04:30 PM   #19
slotcarbob
macrumors member

Not bad

I do not think any of us would agree 100%, but in general, this is a fair assessment. BTW, I bet there are a lot of things regarding the way Media Player catalogs songs that I bet iTunes adopts, in it's next incarnation. I personally like the way it "handles" the music list.

That said, keep somethnig else in mind. Leopard is 4 months away, while Vista is "cooked". This is going to give Apple a further lead, I expect. OS X beats Vista, wih a 2 year old OS (10.4). That is amazing!! Heck, 3 months is an eon in this business.
slotcarbob is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 07:54 PM   #20
Genghis Khan
macrumors 65816

tiger was always going to win...what's worrying for microsoft, is how much money they spent and yet still can't beat tiger...meaning they've wasted their time developing vista, while apple have been making leopard, oh i mean iPhone, leopard isn't as important apparently
Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:51 PM   #21
Kermit the frog
Banned

I've never owned a PC in my life. I'm a mac user 4 life. windows just scares me
Kermit the frog is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:49 PM   #22
Tech607
macrumors member

My thoughts in a nutshell!

http://homepage.mac.com/fklittle1975...ersonal21.html
Tech607 is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 04:45 AM   #23
thomasp
macrumors 6502a

That article appeared to me at first glance to be pro-Vista and anti-Tiger, but in the end they were actually struggling to find points where Vista would beat tiger. And Tiger's a couple of years older than Vista as well, give or take.

Wasn't a similar thing done with XP vs Tiger - does anyone have a link to that?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 05:16 AM   #24
jMc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasp View Post
Wasn't a similar thing done with XP vs Tiger - does anyone have a link to that?
You may be thinking of http://www.xvsxp.com/.

Jx
Old Jun 5, 2007, 07:25 AM   #25
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by casik View Post
amen to that... media player is a freakin joke, and as if iPhoto doesn't kick butt compared to whatever windows named their "photo editor program"

oh and i side note for them... you still need iTunes to use an apple TV on a pc...

Reminds me of a spoof video that compared Windows Movie Maker to iMovie. There truly is no competition. Not only does iMovie make importing footage, and making the movie eiser, but it has prefessional grade effects and integrated DVD burning that make WMM look like a lame duck.

I also have to wonder how all you can eat access via URGE or whatever it's called can start at $9.99 a month? I mean, it's either all you can eat for $9.99 or it isn't their can't be varying levels of all you can eatness. If it's tiered with bandwidth limits, then that's just lame.

I'm sorry, but given the absolute inundation of Widgets that are available for mac, there is no way that you can consider the Widgets category a tie. The widgets available for the Mac are of a better quality and more diverse.

In the security section, the author needs to broaden the list of tasks for which the computer will ask permission to do, and while he's at it could also mention the list of tasks that it will proudly tell you that it's done.

I hate Vista's new networking pane, I find it cluttered and almost unusable. Then again, maybe I'm just used to XP and using the command line to get things done, and all that graphical hoopla just pisses me off.

I find Vista's secret weapons to be an annoyance. Windows needlessly loads visual studio into my memory when i have no intention to use it, it take up about 350 megs of RAM, which isn't a lot to me, but if I only had a gig, I'd be really pissed. And bragging about prioritizing foreground tasks over tasks in the background? ? ? This is considered a feature? Every *nix that I have used in the last ten years has done this. Nothing better than tooting your own horn I guess.

Overall, it's just another brain dead comparison that draws the same tired conclusions. "It varies from user to user which operating system is best for you." Thanks for the tip. If this is the best conslusion that they can draw, then they need to start stacking the deck in someone's favor. How about, "OS X Tiger versus the Altair Z80?" At least there was an article a week or so ago that had the minerals to say, "Everyone should own a Mac. Everyone."

Last edited by SPUY767; Jun 5, 2007 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Because he's mad as hell, and he's not going to take it any more.
SPUY767 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion