Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacBidouille posts some unconfirmed (new source) rumors regarding Xserve updates.

They claim the Xserve will be upgraded to the G5 around September, and maintain that the PowerBook G5's will not be available before 2004 due to heat issues. Further notes claim that the Power5 is due in December, with PPC 980 chips arriving in 2004.

MacRumors readers have speculated about an Xserve update after the introduction of the new PowerMac G5's... and it does appear that Apple is offering Developers deep discounts on current Xserve and Xserve RAID units through July 31, 2003 -- causing some to speculate that they are attempting to clear out these items. No other evidence is yet available on these updates.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
I wonder how fast one of those babies would transfer a DVD? Any idea on prices?

Squire

KEL9000

macrumors member
May 19, 2003
let the G6 rumors begin. Should I get a G5 or wait for the G6? When is the G6 going to be in powerbooks? Will it be dual core? Being 64 bit won't give it any performance gain. There is no comfirmation i am betting the G6 won't be released this year (2004)

what else are people going to say?

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
G6 Powerbook

Yes, I am definitely waiting for a G6 Powerbook. I will not settle for less. I must have it as it shoots fire out of its arse.

Yes, I am definitely waiting. For Godot too.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The article on the 980 indicated mono-core, but topping out at 4.5 to 5 GHz you almost don't need dual cores. Those things will be fantastic!

I really do wonder when we'll see them in Macs, though. Could the G5 have a short lifespan in the PowerMacs ( < year) and then go on to the iMacs and PowerBooks when the 980 comes out late next year?

This is so different than using Motorola chips - waiting years to get small improvements.....

D :D

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
If you watched the WWDC video Apple said the G5 wouldn't be in the PB any time soon due to cooling reqirements.

Because of that I doubt it goes in an XServe any time soon. Even the low voltage Itanium is going in a 2U chassis.

That would be some feat though if they could go from 9 fans in a tower to 1U or 2U in a month or two.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
oh yeah i cant wait.. a Quad g6 in my new 20" OLED powerbook
with a new hydrogen fuel cell!, 12 gigs of nanotube static memory. a 500gb 1" 20,000 rpm SATA hard drive with 32mb buffer

hope its no more then 1/2" thick. and weighs no more then 2 lbs.
cause then i wont be able to carry it to the park and surf the web!

:)

chilly

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2003
Zürich, Switzerland
Re: Xserve G5 Updates?

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacBidouille posts some unconfirmed (new source) rumors ...

and maintain that the PowerBook G5's will not be available before 2004 due to heat issues.

The original French actually says that most of the heat problems have been solved already, but the main problem is the controller chip on the motherboard.

I think that sometime next year or in '05 Apple will switch to the 980 rather quietly. By that I mean not change the name from g5 to g6 but keep g5, especially since the 980 is still single core I believe, and just say it "super new and improved". Call is the g5.5 or something. Then with the '990' or the '1010' or whatever IBM comes up with that is multi-core, then change the name to G6. I don't know, I am not in marketing, but it just seems kind of a waste to change the names of chips so fast, it makes people think the old chip was no good.

akushlan

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
SUPPOSEDLY he had his mike off, and mentioned to someone that they would have 3GHz by the end of the year, and the screen actually said that within a year they would be at 3GHz+

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
Oh yea

That wacky french site pulling rumors out of its arse.

I have heard from undocumented and unconfirmed sources that they will upgrade ipods BEFORE 2005, they will dicontinue G3, although the actual date has not yet been confirmed. This may be a long shot, but they will also lower the price of all LCD monitors by at least $200. Finally, the next revision to the PowerMac line WILL be the G6 before the year 2010, despite rumors of it being a G5b. So keep these predictions in mind before making any buying decisions.

Although these predictions will come true, remember that there are 9 fans in the G5, so dont get your undies in a bunch for the new PB to have the 970.

rjstanford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2002
Austin, TX
Originally posted by MorganX
If you watched the WWDC video Apple said the G5 wouldn't be in the PB any time soon due to cooling reqirements.

Because of that I doubt it goes in an XServe any time soon. Even the low voltage Itanium is going in a 2U chassis.
The 970 was designed for IBMs blade servers, which are higher density than the Xserve. Its heat output is not much greater than that of the G4 that its replacing. Also, in a rack environment, you're not concerned about minimizing noise or power comsumption like you are in a more conventional one (although low-power / low-heat is nice, its not worth sacrificing performance for unless you've gotten crazy with the numbers, which the 970 shouldn't).

-Richard

macounaima

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2003
There is slight misunderstanding in, the translation regarding the powerbooks G5 update.
I'm french so I should know.
Anyhow the mcbidouille article says that the heat issues have been resolved, (apple has a pretty good experience regarding heat/powerbook with the G4) the problem they have with the powerbook is regarding the chipset.
Frankly I don't know what it means but it's what it says.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
How Much Better?

What are the major differences between the 970 and 980? Is it basicly the same chip just a .09 vs .13 process with some speed bumps?

This may help me decide which machine I get later in the year.

asim

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2003
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by MorganX

That would be some feat though if they could go from 9 fans in a tower to 1U or 2U in a month or two.

it is my understanding that the g5 tower has so many fans so that they can be individually regulated based upon regional heat requirements. this allows them to run slow (or be turned off) when not needed, with the practical upshot of being very quiet

the x-serve would not need to be as acoustically efficient as a desktop (or deskbottom, really... does anyone keep these up top anymore?) and might be able to get by with two or three fans going full time

afc

praetorian_x

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by macounaima
There is slight misunderstanding in, the translation regarding the powerbooks G5 update.
Anyhow the mcbidouille article says that the heat issues have been resolved, (apple has a pretty good experience regarding heat/powerbook with the G4) the problem they have with the powerbook is regarding the chipset.

*Finally*, an explaination that makes sense. I'm so, so, so very tired of all the 970s-run-too-hot-for-powerbooks comments. We *know* that the current 1ghz g4's in powerbooks are pumping out 20+ watts and that the (as yet unseen) 1.3 ghz 970 was supposed to be 18 watts. I've been screaming, in another thread, that the lack of a 970 pb is *not* heat related, and must be something else. Chipset delays make more sense, and would put the release closer rather than further away.

Cheers,
prat

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Re: How Much Better?

Originally posted by Fender2112
What are the major differences between the 970 and 980? Is it basicly the same chip just a .09 vs .13 process with some speed bumps?

This may help me decide which machine I get later in the year.

Not much is known on the 980 but you might see

1. Simultaneous Multithreading. Splitting the chips into two logical CPUs ala Intels Hyperthreading..but better.

2. Better Cache. Probably 4-Way Set associative. Better than the 970s Direct Mapped cache

3. Possibly a built in Memory controller. No need for a FSB with built in MC

We'll know more once IBM announces the POWER5. Don't expect the 980 anytime soon. 2005 would be the very earliest you would see it. Most likely 2H 2005 at the earliest.

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Makes sense to update the xserves before the powerbooks. The heat issue thing with them sucks, though. Hope they can get them solved my next August.

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
It makes sense to the design industry that G5 Xserves are part of the picture in the August to October period. Together with the release of Quark 6 and G5 PCs, a pent-up design industry will have an appetite to upgrade.

The whole package will make server-based collaborative design workflows reaaly scream.

Now's the time to polish up your applescript.

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by macounaima

Thanks for the clarification, and by the way, welcome to MacRumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.