Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcanic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well, now that we know the date it is time to start planning our strategy for getting this beautiful device. I've gotten mixed stories from all over the Internet...I've even gotten mixed stories from different employees from the same AT&T store. One employee takes my name down and says they're doing a "preorder" list. A day later another employee says they are not.

I'm wondering, like many of you, how many iPhones AT&T will receive per store?

Do we need to prepare to camp? One side of me wants to think that most people will not dish out that much cash AND swallow a two year/data plan....on the other hand, you never know...this thing has so much hype the average "Joe" may be willing to take the plunge.

Thoughts/advice??

Arc:D

24 DAYS TILL LAUNCH!

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I know the manager of a Cingular/ATT corporate store. Im going to talk to him today and ill let you know.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
As far as I know the iPhones will be sold at all AT&T stores (and probably Cingular stores that haven't changed their name to AT&T yet--that is if any still exist by the time that the iPhone is released) as well as Apple stores.

Apple should have made this more clear. I will be surprised if Steve Jobs doesn't mention these types of details about the iPhone on Monday during his WWDC keynote speech.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Well praise the lord! Then we'll all know for sure what's going on :rolleyes:

;) :D
Well you are right that when you humble yourself before God he tells you what you need to know--just make sure that you NEED an iPhone first. ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well you are right that when you humble yourself before God he tells you what you need to know--just make sure that you NEED an iPhone first. ;)
Um, uh huh, that's exactly what I was getting at
wtf.gif
The least you will know is that he doesnt know yet. Anything more would be news would it not? ;)
I stand corrected, very useful information indeed.

Stand aside ladies and gentlemen, breaking news...

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
Supposedly according to iPhoneMatters.com, there is only going to be about 28 iphones per store:eek: . Can you imagine how hard that its going to be to get your hands on this phone? I can just see it now, people selling iphones on ebay for double the price just like the PS3. I guess AT&T and Apple want to make sure that the iPhone is a hard to get item, which will make it even more of a status symbol.

StrayRooster

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2007
We also don't know how we will handle the campout situation. My guess is we will walk down the line with numbers in a hat and have those people lucky enough to get a low number come back when we are ready.

That's incredibly disturbing. I'll be camping out starting on Wednesday, and you're telling me that someone who shows up on Friday morning has the same chance of getting one as me?

That is the most unfair thing I've ever heard in my life. I pray that you don't run the store that I go to.

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque
That's incredibly disturbing. I'll be camping out starting on Wednesday, and you're telling me that someone who shows up on Friday morning has the same chance of getting one as me?

That is the most unfair thing I've ever heard in my life. I pray that you don't run the store that I go to.

I would think people would like it. Let's say your store gets 500 phones and 501 bozos camp out. Wouldn't you *want* to know you're the unlucky one, instead of finding out ar 2am?

That's why I'll order online. When it comes, it comes.

StrayRooster

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2007
I would think people would like it. Let's say your store gets 500 phones and 501 bozos camp out. Wouldn't you *want* to know you're the unlucky one, instead of finding out ar 2am?

Yes, and the store should be responsible enough to know how many units they have, and tell the campers. That way, once the line reaches the max amount, everyone knows it and it saves that 501st bozo from waiting. The phones won't magically just 'show up' at midnight at a random number, they know how many they have.

That's the same way console launches work. They know unit amounts ahead of time. This shouldn't be any different.

It's completely ridiculous to think that the first person in line has a chance NOT to get an iPhone.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I figure that the people who camp out should get them first

seems unfair IMHO.

(that quote below was out of context)

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Well I do manage an AT&T store and here's what I know.
All Cingular stores (at least in my region) will be getting the final rebranding to AT&T by June 20th. That means the large Cingular signs will be taken down and replaced to AT&T sometime between now and 6/20. My particular store is scheduled to have this done in 2 days.

There will be a DSL line installed and a wifi hot spot installed at most AT&T stores to compliment the iPhone display unit so the iphone can be demoed surfing the web at acceptable speeds.

We fully expect people to camp out and management is toying with the idea of a midnight release. All store staff is expected to work all weekend (6/29-7/1) and a new position is going to be filled at some of the stores. The position is called a "product pro". This is someone who just shows off the newest devices to customers. No sales, just demoing. It is a summer only position.

Haven't received any word as to our store allocation, although I have heard it will be around 40 per store. That may change. We also don't know how we will handle the campout situation. My guess is we will walk down the line with numbers in a hat and have those people lucky enough to get a low number come back when we are ready. This may also change.

iPhone training courses start today. It is an online training. There will be another one released next week. Haven't seen it yet, cause I'm off. I can tell you more tomorrow after I take the course.

That's it for now.

thank you for the information! any more info on the training and the approach the stores might take on distribution would be greatly appreciated! :)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Why are campers stupid?

I don't know, maybe they aren't stupid as i'm no genius myself.

It just sort of looks that way.

They all may have high IQ's and are working on camping skills....yeah that's probably it.

To clarify a bit, recently I've seen campers out in front of a Best Buy , I think it was when they released some kind of game console. At first I couldn't figure out what it was, then I realized that these people were so into the games that they would camp out, sort of like a drug addiction. Frankly, it's a bit hard for me to wrap my mind around.

Just is probably a generational thing.

(I've edited this about five times now)

indig0blue

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
My thoughts...

Hi Everyone,

I live in Columbus, OH and after living in San Francisco and understanding how crazy "Apple Country" can be for a launch, I feel optimistic that I will be able to pick up an IPhone on the 29th. I envision lines and what-not, and I definitely think it might be safer to go to an ATT store instead of our lone Apple store here in Columbus.

I love Steve Jobs and love Apple products. I also DO buy into some of the hype of this being the "Jesus phone". Having said all of that, I think that I still will have a fighting chance of getting one on launch day with having to wait in line for an hour or two prior to opening of an ATT store. I think some of the shortcomings that some people feel the phone has, the high price tag, the anal people who would always wait for a rev 2, and pre-existing cell phone contracts that people have, will allow those of us who are adament about getting one to be able to slip in and do so.

Am I way off base here?

Also, my strategy is going to be going to a ATT store in a more "lower income" suburb of Columbus. Does this make sense or should I just go to the ATT store by my house?

Keep up the chatter. This is like a drug tiding me over until the phone comes out. :)

arcanic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Keep up the chatter. This is like a drug tiding me over until the phone comes out. :)

I'm there with ya bro. I'm the same way. I'm completely obsessed with trying to find anything new....ANYTHING..haha.

I think you bring up some interesting ideas. My thoughts are that most people are NOT pda phone users. The majority of PDA users are business people...and lets face it...iPhones will have a hard time being justified being purchased in a real business.

I'm thinking about getting to an AT&T store around 7-8pm on the 28th and camp all night. I'm HOPING this will be good enough to get one.

Arc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.