Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Hello,
Can imac's be upgraded by users? What I mean is I am use to owning a pc and whenever I want to upgrade like install a new video card or a larger hard drive then I do it. But with the imac is this possible and also would it void the warranty if I did it? I am in the market of buying a imac 24 inch but i want to have the larger hard drives like 500 GB or even the 750 GB hard drive and also I want the higher 256 MB video card option. I know ram is easy to upgrade but regarding the other things like Hard Drives and video is it better for me to order from apple.com the way I want it or order the basic unit and upgrade myself like from macsales.com or somewhere. Any suggestions?

WizardHunt

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
the only user upgradable part of the iMac is the RAM.

I guess you could technically upgrade the hard drive but you would have to dismantle the iMac and invalidate the warranty.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I think some upgrades on the iMac are easier than others. Hard drive/RAM should be easy, video card not so much. Not sure if it voids the warranty, though. Changing the RAM shouldn't, but the others might.

With any luck, Apple will release new iMacs next week. I'm hoping the 24" comes stock with a 500GB hard drive, but that's what I want, too. I do think it will be configured with 256MB video RAM, though.

So you might wait until next week. Might not take any user upgrades to get what you want.

(And yes, you can order an iMac with a 500GB or 750GB hard drive, but it's expensive having Apple do it.)

astewart

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Charlottetown
Hello,
Can imac's be upgraded by users? What I mean is I am use to owning a pc and whenever I want to upgrade like install a new video card or a larger hard drive then I do it. But with the imac is this possible and also would it void the warranty if I did it? I am in the market of buying a imac 24 inch but i want to have the larger hard drives like 500 GB or even the 750 GB hard drive and also I want the higher 256 MB video card option. I know ram is easy to upgrade but regarding the other things like Hard Drives and video is it better for me to order from apple.com the way I want it or order the basic unit and upgrade myself like from macsales.com or somewhere. Any suggestions?

WizardHunt

swiftaw is right, the only upgradable part on any of the new iMacs is the Ram. Its a little more complicated to replaced the HD in them compared to the original G5 iMac. You wouldn't void the warranty trying to replace the HD in the iMac G5's (Without iSight), but you will in any newer model.

Not saying it can't be done :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.