Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jun 5, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
clevin
macrumors G3

camino 1.5 released

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

major new features
1. spell checking
2. RSS
3. session saving
4. single window mode
clevin is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 02:34 PM   #2
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevin View Post
http://www.caminobrowser.org/

major new features
1. spell checking
OMFG. Finally!

Thanks for posting this or who knows how the hell long I'd have gone w/out noticing this update!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:07 PM   #3
tokolowicz
macrumors newbie

Camino 1.5 crashing

Anyone else having problems with Camino 1.5? Saw that 1.5 was released today so I thought I would once again give Camino a try. Didn't have any previous versions installed on my system. Downloaded, installed in Applications, and every time I double-click to launch, Camino crashes without a browser window even appearing.

That's not good. I am running 10.4.9 on my 15" MBP C2D.

/Todd
tokolowicz is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:12 PM   #4
psychofreak
Retired

I have Camino, for when Safari doesn't work with a site. If it had Inquisitor (that looked like the Safari one), I would switch...
psychofreak is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:13 PM   #5
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

awesome news.
thanks for the update clevin.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

If you have had problems before try deleting org.mozilla.camino.plist and try launching Camino again.
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:22 PM   #7
cycocelica
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to cycocelica
I love the session saving feature. Safari really needs this (and if it already has it, someone better let me know). I still like Safari though, but session saving is amazing.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:27 PM   #8
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
There's a free plug-in for Safari that provides session saving (and a bunch of other stuff.)

I'm not on my Mac, so don't remember the name.
madmaxmedia is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok, long time Firefox user (and very happy with that), but I figured I'd give Camino 1.5 a try... actually posting this from Camino...

A couple of questions:

1) How do I get rid of those frelling bookmark icons (especially in the bookmark bar): Name:  Picture 2.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  4.8 KB

2) Is it possible to add more search engines in the top right search field? (I'm very addicted to my 48 search engines in FF.)

3) Where do I set the language of the spell checker? Now it seems to allow both color and colour, so I guess it somehow allows "all" English forms, but sometimes I might wanna use Norwegian...
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:53 PM   #10
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Mitty, i don't have exact solutions for you but check out this site for some add ons that'll help do what you want.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 04:10 PM   #11
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo View Post
1) How do I get rid of those frelling bookmark icons (especially in the bookmark bar):
You add a plain text file called user.js file to ~/Library/Application Support/Camino. Then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camino's old less shiny website via Google Cache
Disable Bookmark Icons
You can disable the display of “favicons” (a.k.a. site icons) by adding the following code to your user.js file:

// Disable Bookmark Icons
user_pref("browser.chrome.favicons", false);
Quote:
2) Is it possible to add more search engines in the top right search field? (I'm very addicted to my 48 search engines in FF.)
See http://www.caminobrowser.org/documentation/search/

Quote:
3) Where do I set the language of the spell checker? Now it seems to allow both color and colour, so I guess it somehow allows "all" English forms, but sometimes I might wanna use Norwegian...
I think it uses the standard Mac OS X language, mine accepts colour but puts squiggles under color.
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 04:12 PM   #12
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis View Post
Mitty, i don't have exact solutions for you but check out this site for some add ons that'll help do what you want.
Yeah... I was afraid of something like that... I don't have good experiences with (more or less official) "extras" (even in Firefox I only rely on a selected few, and FF is made for addons).

Maybe a theme to get rid of those (highly annoying) bookmark icons, though...

Edit: Or maybe one or more of Eraserhead's (earlier called excellent) solutions... thanks...

Edit 2 (The "Hmmm..."):

1: Sat browser.chrome.favicons to false (using about:config) and that didn't work exactly as planned, now it shows the sites favicon if any and the default icon for those without (or not visited, yet). They still take way to much space (in the Bookmarks Bar , elsewhere I couldn't care less ).

2: Tested making searches a bit, but soon ran into problems: Some of the sites I use require special encoding, something I can set using FF search engines or AcidSearch strings... so those searches weren't too good... also I after adding about 8 of my 48 engines Camino reverted to the default 3...

3: Not a big problem, I'm usually fairly good at Norwegian spelling and as long as I get the occasional wink about my English (mainly British) spelling all is well...

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jun 5, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 06:01 PM   #13
annk
Administrator

Quote:
3: Not a big problem, I'm usually fairly good at Norwegian spelling and as long as I get the occasional wink about my English (mainly British) spelling all is well...
Heh, that's just because everything in Norwegian is spelled like it sounds.

*well, almost*
annk is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 06:48 PM   #14
nukiduz
macrumors 6502

Search function is the same as in Safari and that really sucks compared to Firefox. Also, I can't use a browser that doesn't go to tab 1 when press +1, to tab 2 when +2...

I'm trying to avoid Firefox because it's running slow but I can't without these options...
nukiduz is offline   0
Old Jun 5, 2007, 06:55 PM   #15
yagran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycocelica View Post
I love the session saving feature. Safari really needs this (and if it already has it, someone better let me know). I still like Safari though, but session saving is amazing.
You need to get Stand plugin...works great for session saving and getting rid of the brushed metal: http://hetima.com/safari/stand-e.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukiduz View Post
Search function is the same as in Safari and that really sucks compared to Firefox. Also, I can't use a browser that doesn't go to tab 1 when press +1, to tab 2 when +2...

I'm trying to avoid Firefox because it's running slow but I can't without these options...
have you tried inquisitor to search with in safair its amazing! http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/
Old Jun 5, 2007, 07:10 PM   #16
nukiduz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagran View Post
have you tried inquisitor to search with in safair its amazing! http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/
it adds some shortcut options but you it hasn't convinced me. thanks for the hint though. it's a nice app
nukiduz is offline   0
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:35 AM   #17
M@lew
macrumors 68000

Crashes for me. Tried deleting everything, but no solution.
M@lew is offline   0
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:05 AM   #18
Iamtherealwoody
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Iamtherealwoody Send a message via MSN to Iamtherealwoody Send a message via Yahoo to Iamtherealwoody
I like the look of camino but i have a few complaints,

No Inquisitor, im addicted,
Dont know how to change tabs with the keyboard,
And most annoying, you may not agree with it but I love when you hit Maximize with apples applications it only maximizes it as much as it needs. I love that feature, dont know if camino can do that.

If anyone has any solutions to these, please let me know.

Matt
Iamtherealwoody is offline   0
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:07 AM   #19
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtherealwoody View Post

And most annoying, you may not agree with it but I love when you hit Maximize with apples applications it only maximizes it as much as it needs. I love that feature, dont know if camino can do that.

Matt
don't know about Inquisitor, i tried it on Safari and hated it.
changing tabs is Command + Option + arrow key left/right
play around with the maximize, or just set it the size you want from the corner
Old Jun 6, 2007, 03:50 PM   #20
fistful
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtherealwoody View Post

Matt
The zoom button actually zooms now instead of going full-screen.

http://camino.sb.samuelsidler.com/releases/1.5/

Quote:
Window zooming

The Zoom command now resizes the window to fit the current page‘s content instead of making the window full-screen.
fistful is offline   0
Old Jun 6, 2007, 04:28 PM   #21
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
1: Sat browser.chrome.favicons to false (using about:config) and that didn't work exactly as planned, now it shows the sites favicon if any and the default icon for those without (or not visited, yet). They still take way to much space (in the Bookmarks Bar , elsewhere I couldn't care less ).
At least in Firefox, there are *two* strings -- the one you set, and also browser.chrome.site_icons -- you must set them both to FALSE. See if Camino also has the latter string?

EDIT: Is there a theme that works with Camino 1.5 that looks anything like Safari or like GRApple?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 04:39 PM   #22
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
At least in Firefox, there are *two* strings -- the one you set, and also browser.chrome.site_icons -- you must set them both to FALSE. See if Camino also has the latter string?
Nah... when I added the browser.chrome.site_icons to the prefs.js file it did show up in about:config, but all the bookmark icons (and favicons) were still there...
Old Jun 6, 2007, 05:29 PM   #23
tempques
macrumors member

Quote:
Nah... when I added the browser.chrome.site_icons to the prefs.js file it did show up in about:config, but all the bookmark icons (and favicons) were still there...
You need to delete Camino's icon cache because it's still displaying favicons you've already downloaded. Remove all the contents from ~/Library/Caches/Camino/IconCache folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Is there a theme that works with Camino 1.5 that looks anything like Safari or like GRApple?
CaminIcon might be useful for you.

tempques is offline   0
Old Jun 6, 2007, 05:50 PM   #24
Iamtherealwoody
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Iamtherealwoody Send a message via MSN to Iamtherealwoody Send a message via Yahoo to Iamtherealwoody
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistful View Post
The zoom button actually zooms now instead of going full-screen.

http://camino.sb.samuelsidler.com/releases/1.5/
I feel dumb for saying this, but I realized that I had the previous version. I DLed it like 2 days ago, assumed it was the new one.

I got 1.5 now, im happy with it.
Iamtherealwoody is offline   0
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:28 PM   #25
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempques View Post
You need to delete Camino's icon cache because it's still displaying favicons you've already downloaded. Remove all the contents from ~/Library/Caches/Camino/IconCache folder.
And then it reverts back to just showing the default ones again: Name:  Picture 1.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  4.7 KB

I want them gone, all together, at least from the Bookmarks Bar...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion