Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1
munckee
macrumors 65816

Titanium Powerbook G4: upgradability questions

I have the opportunity to pick up an old used TiBook with a dead HD for not too much. And I happen to have a spare notebook drive laying around, so I figured I'd turn it into a jukebox machine or something. Or maybe just sell it. Or whatever.

Is the ram upgradeable? (I already have to open it up to replace the drive, so I can do the ram at the same time if necessary.) If so, how much will it take? I have two 1GB sticks from a G4 aluminum powerbook sitting around; will those work (even just one)?

Is there a limit to HD size that I can put in (not the physical size)?
munckee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:50 PM   #2
falsecathedrals
macrumors member

I have a 1ghz titanium powerbook, 4.5 years old and still going...
When I bought it, everything was maxed out by apples standards. I have 1 gig of ram (2x512) and a 60gig hard drive. At the time, I doubt they made a bigger hard drive so you may be able to put one in. I dont think more than 1 gig of ram will work though.
falsecathedrals is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:52 PM   #3
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

The RAM is upgradeable to 1 Gb with 2 x 512 Mb PC133 SODIMMs.
The hard drive is an IDE type.
It's moderately easy to put the hard drive in, you need a tiny Torx driver, #8 I think, and maybe a #10. You have to watch carefully how the shields, CD and latch parts go back together.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:58 PM   #4
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
As someone who has upgraded the HD in both of my TiBooks, you only need the torx to get into the DVIs or newer. You can easily remove the screws on the HD with a pair of needle-nose pliers. You can also upgrade the optical drive to a SuperDrive DL. Unfortunately you can't upgrade anything else, except the battery by buying a higher capacity one.

TEG
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:48 AM   #5
munckee
macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. Looks like its worth grabbing. I don't know how much ram it comes with, but I should find out this afternoon hopefully. The ram looks like its the expensive point; it isn't worth dumping another $200 in ram into it to get it up to 1GB. Maybe I can find some used.
munckee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs