Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Usually the way Apple prices their computers its that once you decide, you always just wanna go one step up cause your so close to the next threshold and then before you know it your at the top of the line.

This time around I was ready to encounter the same thing and was even ready to spend that money but Apple could not provide me the reason to get the top of the line MBP (15inch).

Shame that $500 only gets you 200 mhz and 128 mb more vram and slightly larger hard drive.

If there was just something a bit more like a better superdrive, not only bigger but faster hard drive, better battery, or something similar I would of given in.

So in a way I am happy that I saved my $500 but still shocked that this is the first time I configured a computer and was happy with the "lower end" machine.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Agreed. The $2499 machine should have 4gb of ram or a 7200 160gb drive, or a blue ray drive, or something. Just not worth $500.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Solid State drive would of been ****ing brillant too

But they are about three times more expensive though. Plus there’s the limited life, the fact that you can’t recover data if there’s a drive failure, smaller capacity…

Of course, they do have more than a few benefits, but more suited to an ultra-portable machine.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
optional maybe?
Whenever (and I'm assuming they will!) I'm sure they'll be an option only for the larger MBPs - because of the comparatively small size/high price currently, I think we're gonna have to wait a bit longer.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
I wanted the 256 MB video but I went with the lower one too. I agree, they should have put in more RAM and a hybrid 7200 rpm hard drive - that would have swayed me. Why can't you recover from hybrid hard drives? That doesn't sound right. The stuff still exists on the platters, it's just cached into the flash.

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
I wanted the 256 MB video but I went with the lower one too. I agree, they should have put in more RAM and a hybrid 7200 rpm hard drive - that would have swayed me. Why can't you recover from hybrid hard drives? That doesn't sound right. The stuff still exists on the platters, it's just cached into the flash.

he was talking about SSD, solid state drives....no moving parts, not platters, nothing.

although given that you can retrieve data from flash drives like compact flash i am also confused as to why you cant retrieve lost data

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Whenever (and I'm assuming they will!) I'm sure they'll be an option only for the larger MBPs - because of the comparatively small size/high price currently, I think we're gonna have to wait a bit longer.

Are you talking about Robson / Turbomemory / whatever, hybrid drives, solid state disk drives (SSD), or something else? The forecast for SSD is almost purely in the subnotebook category. Think about it... 200GB SSDs are quite a ways off. They're going to be small, capacity-wise for the next year or two. They're perfect for little tiny notebooks that can take advantage of the trade-off that they're smaller, consume less energy, and have less capacity.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Are you talking about Robson / Turbomemory / whatever, hybrid drives, solid state disk drives (SSD), or something else? ....They're going to be small, capacity-wise for the next year or two. They're perfect for little tiny notebooks that can take advantage of the trade-off that they're smaller, consume less energy, and have less capacity.
I was talking about SSD as I was responding to the BigPrince post saying he would have liked to have see them in the current range - you'll see in my post that I said they weren't (not yet) ideal for that, but in a ultra-portable it's a different ballgame.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I didn't mean to cause any controversy I was just using it as an example that I wish there was more differences between the two models. I really wanted the extra .2 ghz because I do a lot of rendering and it would of helped ever so slightly and I was hoping for other bonuses, but the video card did not sell me over.

Now I am well under budget and have lots of money for nice accessories lol.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was talking about SSD as I was responding to the BigPrince post saying he would have liked to have see them in the current range - you'll see in my post that I said they weren't (not yet) ideal for that, but in a ultra-portable it's a different ballgame.

Oh, I get what you're saying now... perhaps at some point, a small notebook with a default SSD, and larger notebooks with optional SSDs? That makes sense....

Kind of like how the iPod Nano crossed over the cusp of where the HD iPods started (now available in 8GB vs. the 5GB original iPod) -- presumably, the Nano will be at 12-16 in the next 6-8 mos. Will be a couple of years before they can discontinue HD iPods, or HD notebooks, for that matter.... :eek:

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
although given that you can retrieve data from flash drives like compact flash i am also confused as to why you cant retrieve lost data
Granted, I was rather sweeping there... there are 3 types of SSD, although they are more durable (or so I understand) than good ol' fashioned platters, they have different vulnerabilites. Certain vulnerabilites, such as an electrical surge, will render information lost and virtually unrecoverable - this used to be the case anyway. I'm sure someone who knows more about this than me will leap in..

Of course, the technology behind SSDs has been come on leaps and bound (e.g. much better life cycle)

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I didn't mean to cause any controversy I was just using it as an example that I wish there was more differences between the two models.
Nothing wrong with a bit of debate ;) - and apologies for derailing the thread!

Although it's too early to see SDD drives in the MBPs, it's definitely one way that Apple could use to add a bit of differential between them as you rightly say.

Oh, I get what you're saying now... perhaps at some point, a small notebook with a default SSD, and larger notebooks with optional SSDs?...
Yup! As I say, it's not very practical for larger laptops (at the moment)... but for a new ultra-portable one, that's a very different story!

I think your comment about the iPod is a very apt comparison - just have wait and see...

tj53

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2004
New Hampshire
Shame that $500 only gets you 200 mhz and 128 mb more vram and slightly larger hard drive.

I guess it doesn't make much of a difference anyways. But people keep saying it is only a 200mhz difference, isn't it technically a 400mhz difference because there are two cores? (Same percentage either way though)

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
My friend who wants to become a developer for Apple is also deciding between the two 15" models. He mentioned the price difference and decided to go for the lower end model.

Well according to your previous post, you should have gotten your MBP by now. How is that sexy beast? :D :apple:

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
woot woot, This thing is awesome although I think I screwed it up with Monolingual lol. I also intinially tried to transfer over 200 gigs to a 160 gig hard drivre which did not go over to well. hehe.

Thanks for asking.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I would have liked at least seeing the two top models configured with 1x2GB, so you could easily throw in a second 2GB DIMM. It would be great if you could add the extra video RAM to the low end model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.