Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Is there a way to transfer all of my programs etc to a new computer without a new computer?

I want to sell my computer now, and pick up a new one in a month or so. I can burn stuff to DVD's but, I am not sure if there is an easy way to transfer files and settings to dvd's, etc.

I do have 1 250GB external hard drive, but it is well loaded with stuff. DVD's would be better.

thanks

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I would think the simplest thing to do would be to backup things you want to keep to your HDD, with some free software you can find on the web, then when you get a new computer, add that software and restore from the backup.

This would also work with DVD's I'd imagine, but an HDD is always going to be easier.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I would think the simplest thing to do would be to backup things you want to keep to your HDD, with some free software you can find on the web, then when you get a new computer, add that software and restore from the backup.

This would also work with DVD's I'd imagine, but an HDD is always going to be easier.

Okay, I think I can do the HDD. But, what is the software? Could you point me in the right direction please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.