Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashley-wa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I've left this thread due to the fact that the question on this thread was not eligible for this forum. Thanks.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hey does anyone know where I can download OSX Tiger for free?

OH wait it's illegal.

ashley-wa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I understand that its illegal. If you are going to be sarcastic then don't waste my time thanks. I have seen other threads that have people discussing emulators and emulator games. Thank you for notifying me that it isn't allowed to be discussed. I didn't realize that it wasn't a discussable matter. I judged the content of other posts before posting this. If it is becoming a problem I would suggest that there shouldn't be other threads to mislead people who are new to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm leaving this thread.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I understand that its illegal. If you are going to be sarcastic then don't waste my time thanks. I have seen other threads that have people discussing emulators and emulator games. Thank you for notifying me that it isn't allowed to be discussed. I didn't realize that it wasn't a discussable matter. I judged the content of other posts before posting this. If it is becoming a problem I would suggest that there shouldn't be other threads to mislead people who are new to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm leaving this thread.

Before you do, show me ONE non-wastelanded thread where illegal links are given please...

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I've left this thread due to the fact that the question on this thread was not eligible for this forum. Thanks.

Ashley; just so you know the legal status, I'll fill you in.

Emulators are legal. You are emulating existing hardware. No violation of copyright.

Roms are legal; the law permits you to back up things you own.

However, the same law that permits you to back up things you own prohibits you from transferring that backup to anyone else. Thus, it is illegal to download roms off the internet. You can buy the equipment and rip roms yourself legally as I do, or you can go download them illegally and not tell anyone, but it is against the terms of service to link to a site that distributes Roms illegally on Macrumors.

ESA, the ones that sue the rom sites, has a FAQ on their website.

Read this chunk:
Isn’t it legal to copy video and computer games as a backup as long as you own a legitimate copy?

U.S. Copyright laws permit making a "backup" copy of computer programs for archival purposes. However, the right to make backup copies of computer programs for archival purposes, as embodied in 17 U.S.C. Section 117(2), does not in any way authorize the owner of a copy of a video or computer game to post or download a copy of that game to or from the Internet or make such copy available to other people for their use. Section 117(2) only gives the owner of the copy a right to make an archival copy of the actual copy that he/she legally possesses, not to make a copy of the ROM that someone else legally possesses, nor to post an archival copy of his/her original copy for distribution. The law clearly does NOT provide any right to sell "backup" copies. In fact, Section 117 is quite explicit in stating that any archival copy prepared under Section 117(2) can only be transferred to another person if, and only if: A) The original copy is also transferred, and only with the authorization of the copyright owner, and B) The transfer is part of the sale of all rights in the program.

http://www.theesa.com/ip/anti_piracy_faq.php

I like the ESA a lot better than the RIAA, as they don't sue individuals, just the sites hosting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.