Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I will be replacing my old PPC Mini with something more upgradeable and generally better, maybe by end of this year. An Intel Mini would be an improvement, of course, but it's too much of a pain to upgrade over time and i think I could do a little better. Not Mac Pro better, but a little better. My needs are fairly modest.

Would it make sense for me to buy a MacBook and connect it to my monitor and peripherals for use as my desktop Mac? I already have a 12" PPC iBook that is nice and portable for my road unit, but if it ever died, it would be great to know I could just disconnect my "desktop" computer and go mobile with it.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
A thread on this yesterday. Search for it. Answer is yes.

OP's question is different from that thread.

OP is asking whether it makes sense to replace a Mac Mini with a MB and use it only as a desktop with external screen, kb and mouse. Not the same as asking if the MacBook can serve as one's main computer.

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
It could definitely work. I do suggest upping the RAM. BUT I would wait to see what they have in store for the iMacs in case the update interests you.

mst0192

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
i did it in the past.

as i switched from pc to mac i bought a 12" ibook (in 2003 i think). i maxed out the ram and swapped the hd for a 7200rpm one..

all you need is a good external monitor, a keyboard and a mouse.
i study graphic design and it (the power of the ibook) was enough for me.

it was my dektop and mobile computer. so my reccomendation would be to sell the ibook and just use the macbook. this way you can avoid the pain of syncing both.

at the moment i work on a dualG5, but within the next year, i will go macbook-only again!

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
For a desktop and mobile workstation there's nothing wrong with the Macbook.
It's powerful and pretty compact.
As for upgrading, you might want to keep the RAM at 2GB with matched pairs for the GMA.
EDIT: Someone in the past couple of days posted a step by step of them upgrading a Mini and hooking it up to a 24" (I think) Dell. Was that you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.