Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pMay

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Hello!

Can the AirPort Extreme use disks with more then one partition?
I am asking because my AirPort Extreme doesnt work with my USB Harddisk.
It has 2 partitions. One of them is NTFS ... that could also be a reason for problems.

Thanks,
Philip

Can anybody please help me?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You can connect USB-based storage devices to an AirPort Extreme (802.11n). Learn which formats and protocols are supported.

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) supports USB storage devices that have a block size of 512 bytes, and are formatted as Mac OS Extended (HFS-plus), FAT16, or FAT32. Not all USB storage devices use a block size of 512 bytes.

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) shares storage devices based on the format used to initialize the storage device. For example, if HFS-plus formatting was used, AFP and SMB/CIFS protocols are used to share the device on the network. If FAT16 or FAT32 was used, SMB/CIFS protocols are used.

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) works with disks that have a single partition and are not software RAID volumes (no more than one volume per physical disk). If the disk is a self-contained RAID that presents itself to a computer as a single volume requiring no software support, then it is supported.
Note: Use AirPort Disk Utility to discover and mount AirPort Extreme-based volumes over the network.
[Link]

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Hello!

Can the AirPort Extreme use disks with more then one partition?
I am asking because my AirPort Extreme doesnt work with my USB Harddisk.
It has 2 partitions. One of them is NTFS ... that could also be a reason for problems.

Thanks,
Philip

Can anybody please help me?

Been wondering this myself as we're looking for a two-Mac back-up solution. Some people are reporting it working fine with partitions and the WD MyBook drive, but it doesn't work across the board: Link.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
I've had good luck with it so far

I've had good luck with it so far - 2 disks in one owc enclosure. One is HFS the other is partitioned w/Fat32 and HFS. I did have some problems recently when trying to install a USB 2 hub but weirdly - when I reenabled IPv6 it came back no problem.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 152

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
Famous last bloody words.

Just updated to 7.1.1 and the fat32 partition is no longer available...

&*$#!

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I've had good luck with it so far - 2 disks in one owc enclosure. One is HFS the other is partitioned w/Fat32 and HFS. I did have some problems recently when trying to install a USB 2 hub but weirdly - when I reenabled IPv6 it came back no problem.

I wish I could get something like AirDisk that's firewire and not USB. As a backup solution the ability to boot up off the back-up is a killer point. If only USB could do it (It can't can it?).

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I wish I could get something like AirDisk that's firewire and not USB. As a backup solution the ability to boot up off the back-up is a killer point. If only USB could do it (It can't can it?).
Intel Macs can boot from USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.