Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjsalcedo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
What about a PowerMac G5 in a brand new "shuttle-like" case? (for those of you who don't know Shuttle, check http://www.shuttle.com)

- 1 G5 1.8/2.0 GHz?
- 2 DDR banks
- 1 AGP
- 1 PCI
- 999 - 1299 $

It doesn't sound bad at all, does it? Does Apple even noticed that something is missing just in the middle? Many people do have monitors and don't need a huge pro machine.

CaVoLo

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
throw in a superdrive with that and you got a pretty decent computer right there....that would be even more perfect for lan parties

i dont like the shuttle pc computers....but im sure apple could do it somewhat more elgegantly

it could be another cube!!

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
I've posted on other boards like 3 times in the last week saying that Apple should build a small form factor mac. And I will say it again. Apple, please build a small form factor mac. They really need another monitor-less desktop. I don't really want a g5, because that would be out of my price range. I can't get a job yet, so I want a cheaper mac that I don't want to have to spend extra money on because it includes a monitor.

If it would have to have a G5, I am thinking that it will atleast be 1500. Atleast at the speeds they have released now. If they had lower-speed versions, maybe it could look like this:

Maybe:
1-1.2GHz G5
256 MB RAM
60 GB HD
1 AGP
1 PCI
Combo or Superdrive for 200.00 more

This machine would probably only have 1 HD bay, and 1 Drive bay.

I am thinking from $1200-$1600

I think $999.00 for a G5 is far off. Hopefully they will come down in price that quickly, but I doubt it. We will have to see later this month what happens.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm not all that impressed with the design - its missing something, curves?, for it to be a Mac.

But a cheap G5 will be nice.....possibly when the iMacs get an upgrade they'll get a make-over...

D

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
The Cube would have been great had it been cheaper than it was($1799). If it had been about $999 to $1199, it would have been more successful.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Ack! Ptooey!

The G4 Cube was a pain in the butt to build, cool, etc.

Why would you want another monstrosity like that?!!!

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by Frohickey
Ack! Ptooey!

The G4 Cube was a pain in the butt to build, cool, etc.

Why would you want another monstrosity like that?!!!

How about improving on the design. That's a thought.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
It'd be nice, but I don't see it happening any time soon. There's just no real room in Apple's product line for anything like that. We all saw what happened to the cube, even though it was overpriced.

If Apple did it, they would have to lower the costs, and it would have probably less features that you listed... People will complain about the fact that "for $500 more, you can get the option for 2 processors, PCI slots, etc..."

It would also kill iMac sells. If they sold this thing for $1200, you could just get a nice $500 17" LCD, and you have a G5 iMac...

In which case Apple would have to drop prices on the iMac and the eMac.

I think Apple would have to see a huge demand for a smaller, mid-range desktop product to actually make one. We know that Jobs loved the cube, and that when they got rid of it, they hinted the possibility of its' return...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.