Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applenewb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
First time Apple owner, here is a quick review of my experience thus far.

Ordered my MPB the morning of release at 7:58am with the 7200rpm drive, glossy and 2Gigs of ram. Just made the cutoff supposedly.

Was supposed to arrive by Wednesday at 10:30, arrived this morning (Monday) at 9:05am. *Borat* VERY NIIICE!

The shipping box was much smaller than I expected, the laptop box was as big as it needed to be, black and very nice to look at. There was no specification on anything regarding high res, glossy etc.

Laptop arrived 50% charged, as a first time Windows switcher I was very impressed with the ease of getting started. Found my wireless instantly and connected with no hassle.

I instantly noticed a bit of *bleed* at the top and bottom of the screen however after the laptop warmed up that went away. I was a bit concerned about uneven illumination but everything seems perfectly even to me.

My hinges are very firm, I can put the screen at any angle and it doesn't move. No dead pixels, or stuck pixels. Seems flawless so far.

The glossy display seems less glossy than I remember from before, I actually couldn't tell under dim light in my house if it was even glossy, in fact I thought for a minute I got the wrong screen. Otherwise in regular light in my store even with tons of overhead lighting I haven't really noticed any reflection.

I bought 4 gigs of ram from OWC, they installed without issue, system seems to boot a bit faster.

What has really blown me away is how incredible the built in speakers are. Listening to high quality music is just fantastic. Really, really impressed.

I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse from the Apple store, and laughed when I asked the employee if there was any other software I should get and he told me everything I need should be already there. Man, what a difference from crapola PC salesmen who will sell you anything. Took both back to the office and set them up, keyboard is nice but the Mighty Mouse hurts my hand, wifey likes it though. I prefer my VX revolution mouse by Logitech, all the features work nicely.

I have a 23" Cinema display I have used with my PC for the last 18 months waiting for the right time to switch and I have to say this 17" is so nice I find myself liking it better in fact. For someone like myself who doesn't need ultraportability to school its just a great mobile computer.

I've had a few funny errors getting used to OSX like switching off the brightness to 0 and thinking the computer wouldn't come out of sleep, but other than that its been pretty painless. I still don't understand the magic that makes installing programs so easy but I sure like it.

Had to put Firefox on but I will give Safari another chance (I couldn't figure out if it had tabbing or how to use them and I can't live without tabs). I immediately uninstalled the Office 2004 trial, die die die. (I'm a MCSE lol).

So far I'm just in pure bliss, after growing up on Apple since my school had a computer lab filled with IIe's and never being able to afford one I must say this is such a tremendous joy I cannot even express it. The slickness of the interface and intuitiveness of how things work is really fun to explore. All the best for you new switchers out there that are waiting on your new Apple's and all I can say to anyone on the fence about buying an Apple for the first time is do it, you will not regret it. Sai Ram.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Thank you for that! It was a great, well written, read :)

I especially like your summary. My friends, relations and acquaintances are switching to the Mac in droves. For anyone still unsure, heed:
All the best for you new switchers out there that are waiting on your new Apple's and all I can say to anyone on the fence about buying an Apple for the first time is do it, you will not regret it.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Glad you're enjoying. Now, as you've admitted to having a high res 17" MBP, you've voluntarily opened yourself up to a barrage of questions, and that makes you fair game :p .

How is the size of the text for you? 1920x1200 is a hell of a lot of pixels to fit onto a small screen. What will you be using the machine for? Have you tried any games or Aperture or Photoshop by chance? Do you still find any use for the 23" ACD, as you've now got the same amount of pixels on both displays!

:)

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Thanks Sai

First time Apple owner, here is a quick review of my experience thus far.

Ordered my MPB the morning of release at 7:58am with the 7200rpm drive, glossy and 2Gigs of ram. Just made the cutoff supposedly.

Was supposed to arrive by Wednesday at 10:30, arrived this morning (Monday) at 9:05am. *Borat* VERY NIIICE!

The shipping box was much smaller than I expected, the laptop box was as big as it needed to be, black and very nice to look at. There was no specification on anything regarding high res, glossy etc.

Laptop arrived 50% charged, as a first time Windows switcher I was very impressed with the ease of getting started. Found my wireless instantly and connected with no hassle.

I instantly noticed a bit of *bleed* at the top and bottom of the screen however after the laptop warmed up that went away. I was a bit concerned about uneven illumination but everything seems perfectly even to me.

My hinges are very firm, I can put the screen at any angle and it doesn't move. No dead pixels, or stuck pixels. Seems flawless so far.

The glossy display seems less glossy than I remember from before, I actually couldn't tell under dim light in my house if it was even glossy, in fact I thought for a minute I got the wrong screen. Otherwise in regular light in my store even with tons of overhead lighting I haven't really noticed any reflection.

I bought 4 gigs of ram from OWC, they installed without issue, system seems to boot a bit faster.

What has really blown me away is how incredible the built in speakers are. Listening to high quality music is just fantastic. Really, really impressed.

I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse from the Apple store, and laughed when I asked the employee if there was any other software I should get and he told me everything I need should be already there. Man, what a difference from crapola PC salesmen who will sell you anything. Took both back to the office and set them up, keyboard is nice but the Mighty Mouse hurts my hand, wifey likes it though. I prefer my VX revolution mouse by Logitech, all the features work nicely.

I have a 23" Cinema display I have used with my PC for the last 18 months waiting for the right time to switch and I have to say this 17" is so nice I find myself liking it better in fact. For someone like myself who doesn't need ultraportability to school its just a great mobile computer.

I've had a few funny errors getting used to OSX like switching off the brightness to 0 and thinking the computer wouldn't come out of sleep, but other than that its been pretty painless. I still don't understand the magic that makes installing programs so easy but I sure like it.

Had to put Firefox on but I will give Safari another chance (I couldn't figure out if it had tabbing or how to use them and I can't live without tabs). I immediately uninstalled the Office 2004 trial, die die die. (I'm a MCSE lol).

So far I'm just in pure bliss, after growing up on Apple since my school had a computer lab filled with IIe's and never being able to afford one I must say this is such a tremendous joy I cannot even express it. The slickness of the interface and intuitiveness of how things work is really fun to explore. All the best for you new switchers out there that are waiting on your new Apple's and all I can say to anyone on the fence about buying an Apple for the first time is do it, you will not regret it. Sai Ram.

Good review, just the things I needed to hear! I am enjoying Safari for PC,(Kudo's Mr Jobs!) Safari runs rings around IE, the exposure this will give Apple, will only increase sales. Whatever comes on it Is what I will use, as I am leaving MS totally. I'm switching too, MB/ MBP-dunno

Thanks again Sai
Cheffy Dave

Applenewb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Glad you're enjoying. Now, as you've admitted to having a high res 17" MBP, you've voluntarily opened yourself up to a barrage of questions, and that makes you fair game :p .

How is the size of the text for you? 1920x1200 is a hell of a lot of pixels to fit onto a small screen. What will you be using the machine for? Have you tried any games or Aperture or Photoshop by chance? Do you still find any use for the 23" ACD, as you've now got the same amount of pixels on both displays!

:)

to xUKHCx I just watched the IMAX movie in 1080p, it was unreal....

Fleur, the text size is fine, some is small but the resolution is so sharp I didn't even think about it until your post. Haven't tried any games/Aperture/Photoshop, don't own games/photoshop yet for Mac =P I just ran Aperture, loaded in about 3 seconds, but I've never used it so I'm lost.

I'm sitting in the other room and honestly have no interest in my 23" at the moment. The same pixel density on a smaller screen just looks sooooo much nicer.

Applenewb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
How fast was start up time with the 4 gigs?

It was 87 seconds from the Chime to the desktop with wireless etc fully loaded. Everything is stock if that matters, I haven't removed any drivers etc except for the Office 2004 trial.

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
I love hearing new switcher stories :).

You might want to look into removing the other languages on your computer, this will free up quite a bit of space

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Before you get too far into using it, loading apps, etc, you may want to reinstall the OS and wipe the drive. There are many additional languages you can RUN the OS in as well as additional language fonts and printer drivers you will never use, buy customizing the install and deselecting those things you can free up another 5-7GB of disk space, which on a notebook is prime real estate. For printers I find it easier to download and install the latest driver than to have every driver for every existing printer on there.

Anyway, congrats!

Applenewb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I think I will do that (reload), at least for the experience of reloading a Mac for the first time! 5-7 gigs sounds like a ton of drive space to recover. Thanks.

TilJ

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
Does anyone know if the 15.4" speakers are as good as the 17" speakers?

My 15" Powerbook has weaker speakers than my friend's old 1GHz iBook :-(

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
17 HD MBP and 23" ACD is exacly the setup Im thinking of getting in 2 months (I already have the 23" too). Is the 17" light enough to bring around to university ~5 times a week without freaking out, Im used to a 12" iBook... ?

Just how is the dual 1920x1200 resolution? Is it smooth? Does the glossy screen fit well with the ordinary 23" ACD?

Thanks

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Is Display Rotation Supported?

In your displays preferences when hooked to the Cinema Display do you see rotation options? Anyone else with a new MBP hooked to a Dell 20" or 24" monitor who can us if rotation is supported from the nVidea card like it is from all the ATI cards please? Thank you.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Depends. If you have external drives/iPods connected then it takes longer to startup because it has to scan every drive to see if they are bootable. USB hubs seem to slow it down even further, more than External Drives in fact.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Use Monolingual To Remove Foreign Languages

Before you get too far into using it, loading apps, etc, you may want to reinstall the OS and wipe the drive. There are many additional languages you can RUN the OS in as well as additional language fonts and printer drivers you will never use, buy customizing the install and deselecting those things you can free up another 5-7GB of disk space, which on a notebook is prime real estate. For printers I find it easier to download and install the latest driver than to have every driver for every existing printer on there.

Anyway, congrats!
Instead just use Monolingual to remove all the foreign languages. No need to reinstall. BTW, it's not going to recover 5-7GB. Recovers several hundred megabytes.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007

Hah. I love it. That trial POS is the worst thing that comes with a mac.
I personally love firefox (you'll find way too many posts about the web browser wars), but if you like safari the looks of safari as well, you might want to try camino. Lots of people swear by it. Basically firefox for the mac.
Have fun enjoying your new mac. (MBP 17" -- only way to go.:) )

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
...the laptop box was as big as it needed to be, black and very nice to look at...My hinges are very firm, I can put the screen at any angle and it doesn't move.

LOL, this sounds quite dirty! :) Are we talking about a computer still or something personal? :rolleyes: :D

DZL

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
review

thanks for the review!

i'm a 1st time switcher as well - and my system is going to be identical to yours, except i did not upgrade to 4GB of RAM - i thought it would be cheaper to just buy 4G's of RAM at a later date than to pay the $750 upgrade from apple.com.

can you post some pics??

Glad to hear everything went smoothly; i'm a little apprehensive at switching myself, as the OSX is completely foreign to me! But I plan on adding bootcamp to run my pc-only apps (3ds max).

Thanks again -

DZL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.