Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

issic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Hey
I just run LCD TEST on my new :apple: SR MBP and as well on mine "old" Generation 2.2 :apple: MBP (actually 4weeks old but can't return it) and in gradients test the LED LCD provided some wierd results :confused: (one horrizontal line and one curved one across the whole test) Also it's seems a bottom part of screen is going little yellowish, anybody has this experience:cool: :( :confused: ?

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
I've noticed that when viewed at an angle, it looks yellowish. Quite yellowish. Also casts a yellowish glow on the keyboard too.

I'm not sure if it bothers me or not.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I'm not sure if it bothers me or not.

hahah how could you not be sure??? mine is also a bit like that, and its darker towards the left side of the screen than compared to the right. it doesnt really bother me tho i spose. not gonna let a little light (or lack of it) get in my way!!

issic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
is this matte or glossy?

It's matte, but that doesn't matter, that's just finishing, the display is the same underneath.

Color Sync Utility will do gamut in whole display not selectively just in lower parts, that's not a good advice. Or you ment the gradient issue? That's very wierd stuff, so please try somebody else as well if you will see a curved and horizontal line in the gradients.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'm glad that it's not just me. It is a little annoying sometimes. I usually prefer bluish tint than yellow. Bottom half of the screen looks a little yellow/darker on white. You can test by place 2 browser windows with http://www.apple.com/. One on top half and one on the bottom. The white "Leopard" text look different isn't it?

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 6,082

issic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I'm glad that it's not just me. It is a little annoying sometimes. I usually prefer bluish tint than yellow. Bottom half of the screen looks a little yellow/darker on white. You can test by place 2 browser windows with http://www.apple.com/. One on top half and one on the bottom. The white "Leopard" text look different isn't it?

So now the hard part,

so if there is a flicker issue as posted on several forums

and

now it's this uneven yellowish tint on different places of display (mine bottom, somebody's side)

so if I will go to Apple Store and replace this unit, for sure I will get the flicker one, then another yelowish and so on and on and on...

As I work mainly for colorgrading this is a issue for me (and yeah I should buy a Cinemadisplay and I will but...) in field work I need to get a good performing display!

So change or wait till last moment? (BTW How is it? You can return it or change it in month after purchase, so if I will pick new one will it automat. extend the month period? Or this issues are covered by 1 year warranty...

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I put my old MBP away, no more looking side by side. I'm just happy that I don't have a dead pixel or any other problem. Now start enjoying the new snappy machine.

Now, someone make Pantone Huey Pro work for this new LED screen, I'll be really happy. I had a hard time calibrating by eye, so it's back to default for now.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I put my old MBP away, no more looking side by side. I'm just happy that I don't have a dead pixel or any other problem. Now start enjoying the new snappy machine.

Now, someone make Pantone Huey Pro work for this new LED screen, I'll be really happy. I had a hard time calibrating by eye, so it's back to default for now.

Why can't the Huey work with the new screens? The Monacco XR gave me a bit of flack because the screen is supposedly too bright even on the minimum setting, but it still "sort of" calibrates fine :D

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Why can't the Huey work with the new screens? The Monacco XR gave me a bit of flack because the screen is supposedly too bright even on the minimum setting, but it still "sort of" calibrates fine :D

Well after the calibration the screen would look super purple when you move your head down and look up to the screen. Green when you move your head up and look down. And while looking at it straight on, top is a little purple, middle is white, bottom is a little green. It's just weird. I would take pictures but my camera isn't here at the moment.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I noticed it too, but it is heaven compared to the old ones, so I am happy.

See? I am not impossible to please! :rolleyes:

You got yours???!! Liking it?

Yes, I've noticed this too. The bottom quarter is slightly darker than the top three quarters - or does it just have a slight yellowish tint? I assumed it was just that it was a little darker...

I'm with you: it's so much better than the old ones that it's hard to complain!

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
So now the hard part,

so if there is a flicker issue as posted on several forums

and

now it's this uneven yellowish tint on different places of display (mine bottom, somebody's side)

so if I will go to Apple Store and replace this unit, for sure I will get the flicker one, then another yelowish and so on and on and on...

As I work mainly for colorgrading this is a issue for me (and yeah I should buy a Cinemadisplay and I will but...) in field work I need to get a good performing display!

So change or wait till last moment? (BTW How is it? You can return it or change it in month after purchase, so if I will pick new one will it automat. extend the month period? Or this issues are covered by 1 year warranty...

Is it an either or thing? I mean, perhaps all of them have this yellowish tint/darker area?

issic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Is it an either or thing? I mean, perhaps all of them have this yellowish tint/darker area?

Then Look on that GRADIENT that's a serious issue if the display can't display proper 24bits

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Then Look on that GRADIENT that's a serious issue if the display can't display proper 24bits

Hasn't this been covered many many times, concluding that no laptops show 8-bit (24-bit) colors but just 6-bit (18-bit)?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
The gradient test shows what we all know already, namely that these displays are 6 bit, not 8 bit. All current notebook displays are 6 bit - just go to the manufacturers' websites and you'll see.

We've got to move on...

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
I can't believe you guys are okay with this - I just bought a 15" MBP to replace my PowerBook G4, and I am rather annoyed that the bottom 1/3 of the screen is yellowish.

If they're really all like this, what can I do? Maybe if I wait a while before returning it, they'll get a new shipment in.

HFU

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2005
That's strange, I played with 15" LED both matte and glossy at local Apple store and didn't notice this issue. I do notice matte is slightly brighter than glossy at the highest level of brightness, and glossy has more of the yellowish tint overall from side angle viewing, but nothing like sectional yellowish tint. If this is an issue with certain batch of the MBP, you might want to consider exchange with Apple store before the 14-day period. I also ran the LCD test on my Napa C2D, there is no horizontal line or curve, only the 6-bit gradient issue.

issic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
If they're really all like this, what can I do? Maybe if I wait a while before returning it, they'll get a new shipment in.

Well you can't see the lines on the OLD Mercury display, but you CAN see them on the new LED...isn't it strange?

Yeah I will propably do the same wait if something will happen...(firmware, update, common change?)

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
That's strange, I played with 15" LED both matte and glossy at local Apple store and didn't notice this issue. I do notice matte is slightly brighter than glossy at the highest level of brightness, and glossy has more of the yellowish tint overall from side angle viewing, but nothing like sectional yellowish tint. If this is an issue with certain batch of the MBP, you might want to consider exchange with Apple store before the 14-day period. I also ran the LCD test on my Napa C2D, there is no horizontal line or curve, only the 6-bit gradient issue.

To be honest, it took several days to notice this because I hadn't calibrated the display. Using the terrible ColorLCD profile, the whole display has the same tint to it so you can't see it at all. It's only when whites are genuinely white that the lower part is noticeable.

I've been through more MBPs and macbooks over the past year than computers over the past 14 years so I'm really hesitant to send this one back, especially if it's a wider problem.

As I said, the only way you can see this is if your display is calibrated and whites are really white. The default ColorLCD profile somehow covers it completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.