Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:32 AM   #1
wizwaz3
macrumors 6502a

Safari - New Tab Button

I just downloaded the new Safari 3 Beta and I can't figure out how to get my "New Tab" button back. What do I do???
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:36 AM   #2
samh004
macrumors 68020

There was a button ?

Just hit + T
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:36 AM   #3
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Just curious, why don't you use command + T, to create a new tab?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:37 AM   #4
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Since the "new tab" button requires a hack, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work on Safari 3. It'll likely take a little while for developers to figure out a way to do it again.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:36 AM   #5
drater
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to drater
I know you can use " + click or T" to open up a new tab. But is there a way to just click a link and have it open in a new tab? for instance if there was a link in here like www.randomlink.com, and I clicked it, it would open in a new tab. can it do that?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:45 AM   #6
MacDonaldsd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by drater View Post
I know you can use " + click or T" to open up a new tab. But is there a way to just click a link and have it open in a new tab? for instance if there was a link in here like www.randomlink.com, and I clicked it, it would open in a new tab. can it do that?
Hold down the key when you click the link
MacDonaldsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:22 AM   #7
drater
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to drater
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDonaldsd View Post
Hold down the key when you click the link
not to be rude, but I said I knew that...I'm lazy, I just want to click, and BAM! new tab.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:24 AM   #8
clevin
macrumors G3

Quote:
not to be rude, but I said I knew that...I'm lazy, I just want to click, and BAM! new tab.
same old firefox/camino
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:29 PM   #9
wizwaz3
macrumors 6502a

I never actually had to "hack" anything. I just remember being able to put it on the toolbar, but I can't figure out how to now...
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:43 PM   #10
brogers
macrumors regular

Quote:
If you have a Mighty Mouse and the scroll ball is set to "Button 3" in the Keyboard and Mouse preferences you can click the scroll ball on a link and it will automatically open the link in a new tab. Works great!!
brogers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:46 AM   #11
swindmill
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwaz3 View Post
I never actually had to "hack" anything. I just remember being able to put it on the toolbar, but I can't figure out how to now...
Safari Stand and a separate hack simply called Safari Buttons were the only ways to get a tab button in Safari 3, as far as I know. Stand also allows 'single window mode' so links always open in new tabs.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:47 AM   #12
clevin
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindmill View Post
Safari Stand and a separate hack simply called Safari Buttons were the only ways to get a tab button in Safari 3, as far as I know. Stand also allows 'single window mode' so links always open in new tabs.
i thought safari stand will not work in safari 3 yet?
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:05 AM   #13
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Yes, the only simple way to add a "New Tab" button to Safari was to use a third-party hacking app like SafariButtons or Ollie's Tabs, both of which are tough to find these days (last time I checked). Generally these apps remapped either the bug report button or the increase/decrease font size buttons.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 02:25 AM   #14
cycocelica
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to cycocelica
I just suggest draggin your finger to  key and holding it. Or get a mouse like the MM and set the third button to do that.

Downloading Camino/Firefox does this as well.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 03:46 AM   #15
Crispy Duck
macrumors regular

Safari Enhancer

A little utility called Safari Enhancer also added a New Tab button, it's stopped working with Safari 3, hopefully it will be updated soon. You can also change the Google Search bar to regional ones like Google UK etc. Very useful.
Crispy Duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 02:20 PM   #16
flyinmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Duck View Post
A little utility called Safari Enhancer also added a New Tab button, it's stopped working with Safari 3, hopefully it will be updated soon. You can also change the Google Search bar to regional ones like Google UK etc. Very useful.
Unfortunately, probably not. The developer has stated in his forums that he will not continue updating and developing Safari Enhancer anymore due to personal reasons / life.

I do hope that Apple will finally implement this feature. All the other browsers have it, why not Apple.

I really like and prefer Safari. But, why must we sacrifice something so simple that really should be built-in.

I have submitted my request to Apple for them to implement the feature in upcoming releases. Hopefully they'll comply and activate this simple little button for us.

If you want to request it yourself, go ahead. I would encourage everyone to request this feature (and any other feature you would like). If enough people request a given feature, then maybe Apple will see that it is worth their time to add it.

You can request features and changes on Apple's website at:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

There is not a direct button to suggest improvements to Safari. Instead, choose to give feedback on OS X. Then, in the box for "Feedback Area" choose "Internet/Web"

For "Feedback Type", I chose design / ease of use. But, efficiency/workflow would probably be suitable from a certain perspective. It's most likely suited to design / ease of use though.

Anyway, I encourage everyone to give feedback and suggest features for anything you would like. I drop by there an request features or changes to computers, OS X, and anything else whenever something I'm doing doesn't seem to be handled right, or if I see a lack in what I'm using.
flyinmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 03:05 PM   #17
merc669
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to merc669 Send a message via MSN to merc669 Send a message via Skype™ to merc669
Why not just go to "View" + Customize Toolbar and then Drag the New Tab Button to your Toolbar...No hacks needed.....

Bill.....

P.S. Works both in Safari 2 and 3!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 03:13 PM   #18
flyinmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc669 View Post
Why not just go to "View" + Customize Toolbar and then Drag the New Tab Button to your Toolbar...No hacks needed.....

Bill.....

You must be joking

There is no such button in the customize toolbar screen (unless you've already installed a hack).
Old Jun 14, 2007, 03:37 PM   #19
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc669 View Post

Bill.....

Because there isn't one...?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 04:46 PM   #20
merc669
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to merc669 Send a message via MSN to merc669 Send a message via Skype™ to merc669
My Bad....Dug a little deeper and forgot I have SaferiStand installed. Thats where the tab button came from.

Bill.....
Old Jun 14, 2007, 04:49 PM   #21
Jonx
macrumors regular

try this http://www.mediafire.com/?agg4ymn1t9m
Jonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:22 PM   #22
wizwaz3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonx View Post
THANK YOU SO FLIPPIN' MUCH!!!!

I is a happy camper now!

Strangely, though, I don't remember ever having to hack, I just remember seeing it in the customize window and I thought it was weird I could never find it on any other mac... Hmm...
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:26 PM   #23
iCe Cube
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycocelica View Post
I just suggest draggin your finger to  key and holding it. Or get a mouse like the MM and set the third button to do that.

Downloading Camino/Firefox does this as well.
I think its pretty damn lazy on Apple's part to not even have a 'new tab' button. Apple + T is not a good enough substitute in my opinion.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:55 PM   #24
flyinmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonx View Post
Could we get a little information on how this works and the individual making it available?

I guess I'm just a bit cautious downloading files from places I don't know and then installing them (especially in web browsers which may be used to order things online with credit cards).

Any information greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:56 PM   #25
flyinmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCe Cube View Post
I think its pretty damn lazy on Apple's part to not even have a 'new tab' button. Apple + T is not a good enough substitute in my opinion.
I'd have to agree there. Especially since I can't think of another web browser that supports tabbed browsing and doesn't offer a new tab button.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store