Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:08 AM   #1
markjago
macrumors newbie

Macbook and slow wireless connection

I have trouble reaching high speed when connecting with AirPort to my BT Voyager 2110 router. Connecting with a cable works great.

It seems to be a problem many people have that their wireless connection between the Mac and a router gives only a fraction of the transfer speed compared to when when using a PC and connecting wirelessly to the very same router. Is Mac more sensitive and have compatibility problems? How do I benefit from the same speed I get with PC to my router?
markjago is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:56 PM   #2
scott85213
macrumors member

This could be a setting problem, or maybe your router doesn't support g, only a and b. But I checked and according to the product page your router does support g. If it is a setting issue maybe you only have your wireless broadcasting in a/b. If it's an option you want to set this to auto. Or on your macbook you may have it only picking up in a/b. Find the setting in airport telling it to only look or connect to g networks or whatever.
scott85213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 04:21 AM   #3
markjago
macrumors newbie

As far as I am concerned the router should be rather normal and modern. Maybe it is, as you say, a matter of finding the settings. I have specified 802.11g on the router, switched off any turbo features. Still the same problem. With regards to the settings on the Macbook I find them rather difficult to understand. I think I'm using default settings. Can't find where to configure specific network settings in detail.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:09 PM   #4
markjago
macrumors newbie

I solved the problem I described above. I changed the channel on the router to 11. Tech support told me that Macbook prefers 11, then 2 and then 6. I tried number 2 yesterday and it was still bad. However, channel 11 solved my problems. Now the wireless is fast as with cable.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:50 PM   #5
operator
macrumors regular

My iBook would also show full wireless signal from my router. My MacBOok using the same router, and located in the same place) usually shows 3/4 bars. I'm getting download speeds of almost 600KB/s (seriously) when my MacBOok shows 3/4 signal. I'm more than happy with my ultra fast internet, but confused as to why it doesn't appear as full strength.
operator is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals