Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips

Old Jul 4, 2003, 08:35 PM   #1
Lauralena
macrumors newbie

Sound files on OS X

I am a novice to OS X and have two questions involving sound files.

1. At work (system 9) I can save sound files to my desk top. I double-click on them and they sound instantly. With OS X (what I have at home), when I click on a wav, mpg3 or snd file, iTunes opens and plays the sound. Highly annoying! And what's worse, THEN iTunes starts playing everything in its inventory after it plays the sound. Is there any way to create a sound file I can double-click on without opening up an application?

2. Some sites have sounds that I'd love to download. But I can save them only as Quick Time Movies (yes, MOVIES!). In other words, when I click on "save as," I am forced to save them this way. So needless to say, when I click on these icons on my desk top, they don't play, and I get a window saying "The movie file [say, Orig_0000818e.IETemp] cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly," followed by "Couldn't open the file [name of file] because an unknown error occured. The number of the error is: [say, 128]." How can I save/convert a Quick Time movie file containing a piece of audio to something that I can save on my desktop and double-click on?

I just want to click on a sound icon and hear it immediately. Why is this so difficult?

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

P.S. I tried using something I downloaded called Sound App. But it was only operable in 9. When I realized it, I trashed it, as I didn't want to convert to 9 every time I opened it. Now I use something called SoundConverter. But that doesn't help with my two problems above.

Last edited by Lauralena; Jul 4, 2003 at 09:00 PM.
Lauralena is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2003, 08:50 PM   #2
iJon
macrumors 604

what kind of sounds are you talking about. and is there any reason why you play random sounds.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2003, 08:50 PM   #3
scan300
macrumors 6502

While not as simple as OS 9 you can play mp3's Wav Snd Aif Mov files directly in preview mode. There are 2 ways to preview a file.

1 Column view in the finder will show a preview and info of a file. If it can be played then it will show a control bar. Just press play.

2 Get info... get the info of a file and you can preview the file in the preview widget of the get info box.

Your desktop is accessible in column view from your home folder.

As for point 2 of your question. What type (format) of files are you trying to download?
scan300 is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2003, 09:05 PM   #4
Lauralena
macrumors newbie

The type of sound files I'm trying to download are wavs. Or they play as Quick Time movies. They are basically sound bites from movies and TV shows. At work (system 9) we use these as substitute alert sounds and press them to sound instantly when they fit into the conversation (uh... yeah...I know).

I'm just trying to understand why I can't do the instant-click thing in OS X.
Lauralena is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2003, 09:23 PM   #5
scan300
macrumors 6502

This feature isn't supported in OSX.

If you use the column view method from the finder then you will be able to play all your sound files (including downloaded wav files) as easily as if you double clicked them in OS9. It's just a different way of doing it.
scan300 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips