Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I have a question for all of y'all:
I want to keep all of my email on my laptop, yet I still want to receive it (from my ISP Verizon) on the iPhone. Will I be able to receive (do you expect) via iPhone then when i connect, transfer those received emails to my laptop, or should I grab one of the Yahoo/Gmail/AOL accounts to receive new emails and then use my old email as a dumping site for important ones?

Thoughts, questions? Thanks! Can't wait for the 29th.

EDIT: Sorry, dumb me! I mean that I have my verizon email linked with OUTLOOK which obviously retrieves the email and then removes it from the verizon server.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Does your current email support IMAP? ...If so, then all of your emails will appear on both devices (assuming you don't delete it first).

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Your e-mail will arrive on your iPhone, and will either stay on the server until you log in later, or it will sync when you plug your phone in. :)

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Sorry, dumb me! I mean that I have my verizon email linked with OUTLOOK which obviously retrieves the email and then removes it from the verizon server.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
will this work with gmail? Can i have OS X's mail app set up to receive gmail ALONG with my iPhone and keep them synced all the time?

applehero

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
29º 25' 26"N, 95º 29' 36"W
Sorry, dumb me! I mean that I have my verizon email linked with OUTLOOK which obviously retrieves the email and then removes it from the verizon server.

You should be able to set up iPhone to retrieve email from Verizon server and still get it in your Outlook. iPhone will not remove messages from the Verizon server like outlook will. iPhone will also sync with Outlook via iTunes on a PC.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
That means you are currently using POP. In other words, Outlook downloads and then erases the email from the server.

IMAP works differently. All of your email remains on the server, and the mail app (such as Outlook) simply reads it. If you have more than one device (e.g. a computer and an iPhone), it doesn't matter, because the email is stored on the server. So assuming you don't delete it, the message is available from any device.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Thanks all for your feedback. I was frettin over having to go through the hassle of setting up yet another email! I can't stand clutter and the thought of having yet another email was irritating me!

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2007
You need to be using IMAP and not POP, if you want to use email on multiple computers. IMAP understands folders and every client maintains proper state with the server, so you don't lose messages on your server once you download.

POP is 1970's technology. I wish it would go away.:)

randrus

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Verizon authentication

My wife cannot access her outlook express/verizon e-mail after syncing her iphone. She gets a message that authentication has failed. Hours on the phone with Apple and Verizon (which could care less) have not solved. Any suggestons?

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I'd be careful. I cannot get my Verizon email anywhere except from home. I am not sure Verizon allows you to connect to their incoming pop server from outside their ISP (ie when you are wifi from a nonverizon account)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.