Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 5, 2003, 12:06 PM   #1
brogers
macrumors regular

G5 Heat Release

From the look of the pictures at Apple's site, the back of the G5 looks like a blowtorch. Are there any specs on this or do I need to plan on getting some Shuttle tiles to keep the walls from catching fire?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	designcooling06232003.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	7179  
brogers is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 12:10 PM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

This is nothing more than a graphical illustration of air flow, cool air comes in through the front, cools the CPU's, hard drives etc and passes out the back
Old Jul 5, 2003, 12:14 PM   #3
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

With the way people are twisting the information coming out of Apple and the technology market in general, I wouldn't be surprised if they read that picture to mean that...

"Apple is developing a methanol powered afterburner."

"Apple G5 powered desktop breaks mach 1 and 3GHz"

Old Jul 5, 2003, 12:16 PM   #4
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
While Brogers brings up a good point, the graphic is a little misleading, I too am curious to how much heat these G5s will be producing. How will they compare to the 1.42 G4s?

D
Old Jul 5, 2003, 01:50 PM   #5
macphoria
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
From the look of the pictures at Apple's site, the back of the G5 looks like a blowtorch. Are there any specs on this or do I need to plan on getting some Shuttle tiles to keep the walls from catching fire?
If new G5 Power Mac indeed generates that much heat, I think the Aluminium casing, or the internal components for that matter, will experience immediate meltdown. The graphic is just suggesting cool air comes in through the front and hot air goes out the back.
macphoria is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 02:07 PM   #6
brogers
macrumors regular

How much hot air .. that IS the question.
brogers is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 02:39 PM   #7
macphoria
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How much hot air .. that IS the question.
What do you want, specific temperature? Volume of hot air?

It will be negligible. No matter how much hot G5 Power Mac gets, it will be nothing compared to how hot current PC's get. And I have not seen any PC's that blow out so much heat that you'll need space shuttle re-entry tiles on your desk.
macphoria is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 02:58 PM   #8
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
i think he was being mildly sarcastic... i should guess that the warm air coming out of the back should range from 80-150degrees F. If you put this in an enclosed box for extended periods of time, a risk of fire might be present; however the computer itself would shut down long before that happened.

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 03:44 PM   #9
brogers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i think he was being mildly sarcastic... i should guess that the warm air coming out of the back should range from 80-150degrees F. If you put this in an enclosed box for extended periods of time, a risk of fire might be present; however the computer itself would shut down long before that happened.

pnw
Your right. Sarcasm was part of my post. I was just curious about the amount of heat since removing it seems to be an integral part of the G5's interworkings. Won't make a difference if I buy one or not...just posing the question.

Thanks for all who replied.
brogers is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 09:18 PM   #10
Fender2112
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Fender2112
Heat Sinks?

Did you notice how big the heat sinks are? They seem to be huge. The first thing I wonder about was how much heat do they really give off especally since the 970 is supposed to use less power than the G4.

Please correct if I'm wrong, which I hope I am.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 09:25 PM   #11
acj
macrumors 6502

Blow torches

Quote:
Originally posted by macphoria
What do you want, specific temperature? Volume of hot air?

It will be negligible. No matter how much hot G5 Power Mac gets, it will be nothing compared to how hot current PC's get. And I have not seen any PC's that blow out so much heat that you'll need space shuttle re-entry tiles on your desk.
Uhhh, The currently available consumer top end macs put out about as much heat as the currently available consumer PCs.

Dual 1.42 G4s vs single 3.2 P4.

One positive aspect of the P4 is it will run and not burn if something terrible happened, say if the heatsink fell off.
acj is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 09:38 PM   #12
acj
macrumors 6502

Re: Heat Sinks?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fender2112
Did you notice how big the heat sinks are? They seem to be huge. The first thing I wonder about was how much heat do they really give off especally since the 970 is supposed to use less power than the G4.

Please correct if I'm wrong, which I hope I am.
Also, remember it is supposed to be very quiet. Assuming the G5 generates a fair ammount of heat, the heat sink would have to be quite large to be effective combined with a quiet, fairly low velocity fan.

Remember the heat sink on the dual G4 1.42? It is a massive block of copper, with 4 heatpipes transfering heat throughout the fins (heatpipes move heat 10-100 times faster than metal). This in conjuntion with a somewhat noisy fan cooled the G4's.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with overkill. The fans are variable speed. If they never have to speed up, but can if the ambient temp is very hot, or whatever, I think it's a great design with nothing to worry about.
acj is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 10:59 PM   #13
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
Steve just forgot to mention the part about it being dual purpose....

It serves as a heater as well as a computer. Air filters are sold separately and can be ordered only throught the Apple store.
pgwalsh is offline   0
Old Jul 5, 2003, 11:20 PM   #14
Flynnstone
macrumors 65816

I took several G5s for test drives while I was at WWDC.
Some G5 were fairly loud. Louder that my DP 867 Power Mac before I changed the fans and power supply. But those G5s were prototypes and had there fans on full blast.
Most G5s I used were VERY quiet.
I expected a lot of heat out the back side as well. The heatsinks are monsters ! But I was surprised by the lack of heat
My DP 867 seems to put out far more heat.

I think the monster heatsinks are to keep the fans speed down and quieter. With the added bonus of putting faster processors in with no heatsink change

The G5 is simply impressive

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers