Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Xeem
macrumors 6502a
 
Xeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Minnesota
Just call me Coretard

The impending release of Halo 3, coupled with a couple sessions of Gears of War on my friend's new 360, finally drove me over the edge. I ordered an Xbox 360 Core system (under warranty) off eBay for $230 shipped. I got the Core for several reasons:
I can't afford the Xbox 360 Elite.
I have good headsets already.
I'm fine with a wired remote; I'm going to buy more remotes later anyway.
I needed to buy the VGA cable for the either version anyway.
I'm not going to be using the 360 for media use or backwards compatibility, so I don't think I'll need the hard drive.

Because I couldn't afford the Elite, I won't be able to use my 20" Apple Cinema Display as my screen. My largest non-SD TV is a 15" Samsung EDTV, so I'm probably going to use either a 17" Apple Studio Display CRT or a 19" Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT monitor as my gaming screen.

We should really start thinking about a Halo 3 clan here at MR. I know the Halo 2 clan didn't work out very well (I never saw ANYONE else on), but with a little planning I think it could work.
__________________
XBox Live, DotA, LoL Gamertag: Xeem
Xeem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
...Coretard

Actually you provided some pretty good reasons for getting the Core over the others. If I had to buy my own 360 at this stage I'd get a Core for virtually the same reasons - VGA, no media centre, already have a slew of wired controllers. But I'd probably get a HDD for the Live Arcade (Worms grew on me today, it's taken time but we're getting there).
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
BoyBach
macrumors 68040
 
BoyBach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi View Post
Worms grew on me today, it's taken time but we're getting there.

Go see the doctor! ( )


If I wasn't in hardcore saving mode, I'd be buying a used basic Xbox 360 in time for Halo 3. It's got to be better than Halo 2, right?
__________________
"I'm sensing a change in management style here, from touchy-feely to smashy-testes."
BoyBach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 03:37 PM   #4
applekid
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Any reason you didn't go premium and get the hard drive?

EDIT: Totally missed the part about the HD. My bad.

EDIT: The reason I was wondering why you didn't get a hard drive is because of the Gears of War extra content. I remember it taking up a good chunk of memory.

Last edited by applekid; Jun 13, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
applekid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 03:55 PM   #5
pcypert
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangkok
He said the reasons...

I had save files for 20 games and a bunch of other stuff and never used more than a gig when I still had my 360. Really wasn't that useful a feature for me all in all. If there were an easier way of getting things on and off and being able to share downloaded content with your computer...I would have definately used the hard drive and live service more. But as it is now it just encouraged me to keep using iTunes and apple TV over the Xbox service....

Paul
pcypert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I'd definitely consider picking up a HDD, as soon as the 120gb drive is out in stores the 20gb model should get cheaper.
Get a cheap memory card unit until you need the space.
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604
 
GFLPraxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
You can be almost certain they will release maps for Halo 3 over XBox Live. Perhaps even required patches for multiplayer.

You can also be certain that those maps won't fit on a 64 MB memory card.

But $230 is not a bad deal at all. Congrats, Coretard
__________________
Impraxical - My New Blog
MacBook CD/2GHz/2GB/160GB/SD
Hackintosh Core 2 Quad/2.4 GHz/4GB/660GB/8800GT
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:41 AM   #8
Xeem
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Xeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi View Post
I'd definitely consider picking up a HDD, as soon as the 120gb drive is out in stores the 20gb model should get cheaper.
Get a cheap memory card unit until you need the space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFLPraxis View Post
You can be almost certain they will release maps for Halo 3 over XBox Live. Perhaps even required patches for multiplayer.

You can also be certain that those maps won't fit on a 64 MB memory card.
I haven't ruled out a hard drive; in addition to what I already stated, I also didn't want to get one off of eBay because as a rule I do not buy used hard drives. I just hate paying the idea of paying $100 for a 20 GB hard drive. It bothers me much more than spending $20 on a 64 MB memory card, or even $40 on a 512 MB memory card. Still, I might do it out of fear that I'll overload even the 512 MB with downloads. I'm definitely getting some Rainbow 6 games, there should be plenty of Halo 3 content released, and I always swore I'd finally play through Symphony of the Night some day.....
__________________
XBox Live, DotA, LoL Gamertag: Xeem
Xeem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:09 AM   #9
Haoshiro
macrumors 68000
 
Haoshiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA, KS
Does the 360 allow XBLA games on memory cards? I don't think it does... it may not even allow map downloads! Would be rather dumb, but I'm pretty sure that is how it is.

The extra $100 isn't just for the HDD, it includes some of those additional items you quoted not needing:
- Headset ($19.99 MSRP)
- Wireless Controller (+$10)
- Component Cable ($39.99 MSRP)
- Hexic HD ($5)
- Xbox Compatibility (Halo 2, etc)

Total: $74.96

So if you were to figure retail price, you're only paying about $25-30 for the HDD add on and getting Xbox compatibility as a bonus.

Of course, if you don't have any need for those (especially the HD cable) then the actual "savings" won't be as high. But it isn't as if it's $100 for the HDD unless you buy it separately.

The biggest downsides to not having an HDD is:
- No Xbox Live Arcade (which honestly is excellent)
- No Backward Compatibility with Xbox games
- No expansion support for getting additional content such as maps (unsure on this one)
__________________
XBL GamerTag
Haoshiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Xeem
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Xeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoshiro View Post
Does the 360 allow XBLA games on memory cards? I don't think it does... it may not even allow map downloads! Would be rather dumb, but I'm pretty sure that is how it is.

The extra $100 isn't just for the HDD, it includes some of those additional items you quoted not needing:
- Headset ($19.99 MSRP)
- Wireless Controller (+$10)
- Component Cable ($39.99 MSRP)
- Hexic HD ($5)
- Xbox Compatibility (Halo 2, etc)

Total: $74.96

So if you were to figure retail price, you're only paying about $25-30 for the HDD add on and getting Xbox compatibility as a bonus.

Of course, if you don't have any need for those (especially the HD cable) then the actual "savings" won't be as high. But it isn't as if it's $100 for the HDD unless you buy it separately.

The biggest downsides to not having an HDD is:
- No Xbox Live Arcade (which honestly is excellent)
- No Backward Compatibility with Xbox games
- No expansion support for getting additional content such as maps (unsure on this one)
- Actually, you CAN download Xbox Live Arcade games onto memory cards.
- I have an original Xbox, so backwards compatibility isn't a big issue.
- Yes, you can download maps and additional content onto memory units.

I'm not by any means saying that that the Premium isn't the better deal; it most definitely is. But because I already have an Xbox (and a Jabra headset), I wanted the USB gamepad for use on my iBook, and the component cables are basically worthless to me, it just wasn't worth it for me to get the Premium version. The biggest thing I'd be missing would be downloadable demos for 360 games, as I'd think they'd be too big for the memory unit (I might be wrong, though). I'm probably going to do as raggedjimmi suggests, and buy a memory unit (they even come preloaded with Geometry Wars now) to use until the 20 GB HD drops in price.
__________________
XBox Live, DotA, LoL Gamertag: Xeem
Xeem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:34 AM   #11
wwooden
macrumors 68000
 
wwooden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Send a message via AIM to wwooden Send a message via Skype™ to wwooden
I would also suggest getting a hard drive at some point in the future. Not only to be able to download additional content for games you play and to play any arcade games you want, but also to download game demos. Most demos are 500mb or more and won't fit onto any memory card. The demos are great and caused me to buy games I wouldn't have before and also stopped me from buying ones.
__________________
13" MBP 2.9GHz, 3rd Gen 32gig iPad, iPhone 5 16gig Black; Nikon D50; 60gig iPod Video; 250gig PS3 - wwooden
wwooden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:31 AM   #12
ReanimationLP
macrumors 68030
 
ReanimationLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the moon.
If you go to www.xbox-scene.com and visit their forums' marketplace, you can normally find a 20GB drive going for around 50 or so, shipped, as a lot of members there buy broken ones and part em out.
__________________
"For what am I living?"
I want to shout it out loud. Can you hear me?


Stuff for Sale :3
ReanimationLP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Xeem
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Xeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Minnesota
Well, my 360 arrived this morning. I plugged in the power supply and hooked it up to my TV... everything was good, it booted up just fine... but when I unwrapped the controller cord, I noticed immediately that the breakaway cable was missing. I was... disappointed, to say the least. I'm waiting for the seller to contact me about the missing cable, but until then I have a beautiful Xbox capable of doing nothing but standing next to my stereo. Damn.
__________________
XBox Live, DotA, LoL Gamertag: Xeem
Xeem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 03:13 PM   #14
SamIchi
macrumors 68030
 
SamIchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Did you consider the Premium? It doesn't have to go from Core to Elite. I think the HDD alone is worth the price. You got a good buy though.

Yes we should start a Halo 3 thingy. Should be fun, I played the Beta a lot. I look forward to it.
SamIchi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 05:54 PM   #15
zero2dash
macrumors 6502a
 
zero2dash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fenton, MO
You'll miss being able to download game demos for $0.

One of the best/my favorite things about the 360 and Live.
zero2dash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:06 PM   #16
doctor newb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PC, not the computer
for some reason I remember 20 gb 360 drives being somewhere around 50 on ebay since the elite came out and your still under the price of a new core and you have a hard drive. This isnt actually a bad idea but most consumers wouldnt care enough to go through all this they would just buy whatever has everything.
__________________
Imac G5 1.8ghz
ipod 4g 20gb
sony picturebook
Proud owner of a launch xbox 360 with no problems
doctor newb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:42 AM   #17
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601
 
mrgreen4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2dash View Post
You'll miss being able to download game demos for $0.

One of the best/my favorite things about the 360 and Live.
Ya, that's one of my favorite features as well. I don't have a ton of time for gaming, so honestly a lot of those demos are enough for me to enjoy a game and NOT buy it. Like MLB2k7... fun game, but I know that I would play it about once a month or less, so the demo is absolutely adequate. On the other, the FEAR demo made me understand that I HAVE to buy that game... ah well, win some lose some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeem View Post
Well, my 360 arrived this morning. I plugged in the power supply and hooked it up to my TV... everything was good, it booted up just fine... but when I unwrapped the controller cord, I noticed immediately that the breakaway cable was missing. I was... disappointed, to say the least. I'm waiting for the seller to contact me about the missing cable, but until then I have a beautiful Xbox capable of doing nothing but standing next to my stereo. Damn.
Well, you could get an extra breakaway cable for like $3 at a used game shop... message the seller and ask for the $3 to be PayPaled to you - it's probably cheaper than shipping the old one to you. Alternatively, you could buy a used, 3rd party wireless controller for not very much at GameStop or whatever. You'll want one eventually anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor newb View Post
for some reason I remember 20 gb 360 drives being somewhere around 50 on ebay since the elite came out and your still under the price of a new core and you have a hard drive. This isnt actually a bad idea but most consumers wouldnt care enough to go through all this they would just buy whatever has everything.
Not sure what the HDDs are nowadays, but I was very patient on eBay and waited and waited until I got a "refurbed" (it WAS opened and so I assume repaired) Premium w/ all the accessories normally included, the box, and a copy of Elder Scrolls for $275 shipped. The HDD, wireless controller, headset, component cable, and of course 'free' game were well worth the extra $45. I bought a VGA cable as well, but I'm glad I had the component ones as I moved what TV it was connected to and I'm setting it up as a media center now that it can play h264/MPEG4 files.

Anyways, the 360 is a really nice system (as long as your's doesn't break). It's a bit loud but that's mostly the optical drive so makes a decent media streaming box. I wish they'd offer a way to copy one game at a time to the HDD... would improve load times, cut noise, power consumption, be really convenient, etc etc. One game per system wouldn't lead to rampant piracy, and I'd be OK if they made you put the original disc back in every month or something to prove you still owned it. Ah well, that's another rant...

Enjoy your 360, and I recommend BTW that you get Gears of War, Elder Scrolls, FEAR, Settlers of Catan (off of Live Marketplace), and not get (crap forgot the name of the game...) that FPS where you are on an ice world and wear giant powered armor/mech suits... Extreme Planet maybe? It was lame, regardless what it was called.
__________________
Mac Pro 4,1, 8x2.26ghz, 10gb, 128gb SSD, 2x750gb (RAID1), 2tb, ATI6750
iPad air 64gb wifi - 16gb iPhone 5s - AppleTV3
mrgreen4242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:49 AM   #18
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040
 
Mackilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
It was called Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, and I disagree with your advice he not get it. I have it and I quite enjoy it.

To the OP: I will not offer his advice instead, I'd suggest renting it first if you want, and then buying (or not) depending on your reaction.
__________________
Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Mackilroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:02 AM   #19
Xeem
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Xeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen4242 View Post
Anyways, the 360 is a really nice system (as long as your's doesn't break).
UPDATE: the 360 I bought from eBay is broken. Being a fairly patient person, I waited for the breakaway cable to arrive from the original seller, and then went out and rented Forza 2. I came home, turned it on, and after about 2 minutes the system froze with little blue marks all over the screen. After restarting, it played for about a half hour before the same problem occurred. This time, however, when I restarted it gave me 3 red lights. I checked online and found I was getting a 0102 code (unknown hardware failure). Time to ship it back and get a refund, I guess. I'll probably get a new Xbox 360 this time around because I was already a little nervous getting a refurbished system anyway.
__________________
XBox Live, DotA, LoL Gamertag: Xeem
Xeem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 01:53 PM   #20
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601
 
mrgreen4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeem View Post
UPDATE: the 360 I bought from eBay is broken. Being a fairly patient person, I waited for the breakaway cable to arrive from the original seller, and then went out and rented Forza 2. I came home, turned it on, and after about 2 minutes the system froze with little blue marks all over the screen. After restarting, it played for about a half hour before the same problem occurred. This time, however, when I restarted it gave me 3 red lights. I checked online and found I was getting a 0102 code (unknown hardware failure). Time to ship it back and get a refund, I guess. I'll probably get a new Xbox 360 this time around because I was already a little nervous getting a refurbished system anyway.
That sucks... sorry to hear it. I've had zero issues with my refurbed 360, but there are people out there who have had no trouble with new ones and people who have had half a dozen or more die on them.

I'd really recommend going up to the Premium system, though, since you're going to get another one. The extra features ARE worth the money, imo. Also, Lost Planet sucked.
__________________
Mac Pro 4,1, 8x2.26ghz, 10gb, 128gb SSD, 2x750gb (RAID1), 2tb, ATI6750
iPad air 64gb wifi - 16gb iPhone 5s - AppleTV3
mrgreen4242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Cannot pick up calls on wait, Cannot make a second call holding the first call MPriya iOS 7 3 Jul 31, 2014 04:27 PM
I got a phone call from Apple about a bug report, has anyone else received a call? adcx64 iOS 7 6 Jul 23, 2013 03:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC