Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'm planning on getting one to use as a tv as well as an external display and I'd just like your opinions on what would be best with my MacBook Pro. Thanks!
Edit: Preferably HD! :) Thanks.

willowpez

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
I think we'll need some more info, especially what size you're interested in.

For HDTVs, I'd generally recommend Samsung LCDs, but they can be quite expensive. For LCD monitors, I'd recommend Dell, as they're well-made and can be bought rather cheaply when on sale.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I think we'll need some more info, especially what size you're interested in.

For HDTVs, I'd generally recommend Samsung LCDs, but they can be quite expensive. For LCD monitors, I'd recommend Dell, as they're well-made and can be bought rather cheaply when on sale.

I'll be using this screen for graphic design work/watching movies and tv. I'm also looking for a screen that is at least 26 inches.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Connecting a TV (even an HD one) to your computer and expecting to use it as a monitor is asking for trouble (once you get over about 20" that is).

A 20" LCD monitor has more pixels than a 720p HDTV and almost as many as a 1080p TV. Now, for a little math:

A 20" widescreen LCD is roughly 180 sq inches, and has 1.7m pixels. That's 9,800 pixels per inch.

A 30" HDTV (720p) is about 384 sq inches, and has just over 1m pixels. That's just 2,732 pixels/in.

Even at 1080p a 30" TV only has 5,400 px/inch (which is probably bearable, but only just).

That's why text, fine line drawings/design, etc look great on a 20 or 24" LCD monitor, but crap on a TV, even an HD one.

My advice: get a nice 27-32" HDTV (720p is fine for those sizes at normal TV viewing distances), and a nice 20" LCD, or a 23/24" if you really want to spend the big bucks. Or you can just do whatever you want. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.