Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
hi everyone, well i just got my new mbp, installed xp with no problems, but for some reason I cannot connect to my wireless network (2wire493). I have no problem connecting via osx, so I'm unsure if I'm doing anything wrong from an xp networking standpoint. I haven't installed anything other than the apple drivers.

thanks for any help.

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
Before I get your hopes up... well, just don't ;). I, too, have had problems in XP. For the first few months I had XP installed via bootcamp on my iMac, my wireless worked fine! Then for some odd reason, it just stopped working. I hadn't downloaded anything, changed anything, updated anything... Nothing! For the next month I had to use the internet via ethernet because I could not figure it out...

I came across a few threads on the Apple forums, but never could figure out. I tried changing the security of the wireless network, such as from WEP to WPA to WEP2, to unprotected etc, but nothing worked at all. Eventually it just started to work again... totally random. Then after a month or so it stopped working. After that, I ran across another thread telling me to lower the encryption. I changed the network to a less protected version of WEP, I think I changed it from 128bit to 64bit encryption... and now it works from that. I would just mess with that... Seemed to work for me.

Hope you can figure it out! Windows can be such a pain in the arse. :rolleyes:

magius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
nevermind, i have fixed it. although it would be helpful if someone can tell me what i actually did, and subsequent effects doing it may done....

the first thing i did was go to my routers homepage and turned off all security. after doing this my mbp bootcamp xp could connect to the network. then i went back to my router and changed the channel to 7, and applied a WPA password instead of a WEP (which it was originally). after this it seems to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.