Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Should the Apple TV be in the Buyer's Guide? It has seen hardware updates and is kind of like an iPod for the TV. Or are there other requirements for it to make it there?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My opinion is a variation on EricNau's. I think it would be useful to have, because that would be the appropriate place to point out that we don't know yet how often the Apple TV will be updated. In other words, no news is news.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Well, (for now at least) it would be useless, because we have no idea how long the product cycle will be.

Revisiting this topic again... the iPhone is in the buyers guide and its "days since update" is sitting at 0. The Apple TV has actually seen an update, whereas the iPhone was just released and there have been no updates save software. Using this justification the iPhone should be removed from the buyers guide.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Revisiting this topic again... the iPhone is in the buyers guide and its "days since update" is sitting at 0. The Apple TV has actually seen an update, whereas the iPhone was just released and there have been no updates save software. Using this justification the iPhone should be removed from the buyers guide.

Yeah, but the difference is that the iPhone gets news stories all the time, whereas we haven't heard squat about Apple TV for a long time.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
My opinion is a variation on EricNau's. I think it would be useful to have, because that would be the appropriate place to point out that we don't know yet how often the Apple TV will be updated. In other words, no news is news.

If the search term for Apple TV stories was setup I think a buyers guide could be created, and the Apple TV has already had the 160GB model added ;).

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Yeah, but the difference is that the iPhone gets news stories all the time, whereas we haven't heard squat about Apple TV for a long time.

The same can also be said about the Mac mini and the XServes. The XServe stories seem very few and far between. The most recent one was July 17th 2007, then April 17th 2007, and the ones before that come from WWDC 2006.

The Mac mini is in a similar boat, although not as bad, but there are still month in between its stories.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Also thinking about it buyers guides for software like iLife/iWork, Final Cut/Express, Filemaker, Logic/Express, iTunes, Safari, and possibly Adobe CSx and MS Office, might also be useful.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Also thinking about it buyers guides for software like iLife/iWork, Final Cut/Express, Filemaker, Logic/Express, iTunes, Safari, and possibly Adobe CSx and MS Office, might also be useful.

That would also be helpful but maybe two separate buyer's guide one for hardware and the other for software.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Found this thread while searching.... Any updates to adding the AppleTV to the buyer's guide?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
That would also be helpful but maybe two separate buyer's guide one for hardware and the other for software.

I know its a very late reply, but that would probably be a better solution than mixing them up, they'd get too cluttered in that case.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is a frequently asked question, and I've been meaning to write up something on it.

The problem with the Apple TV is it's not a lifecycle type device. In that the Apple TV is more of an appliance. It does what it does. Plays iTunes content and that's that.

There's no reason for it to get a faster processor. There's no reason to ugprade its graphics hardware etc... Any feature upgrades can be done via software.

The only possibility is really a full revamp to make it a DVR or something and I don't think that's predictable, at least not in the usual way.

I'll write something about it soonish.

arn

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Hey Arn,

I'm bringing this thread back to life to bring some attention to it. I was hoping we could get something in the buyers guide on the :apple:TV.

In the meantime, if one of our lovely members could help me out with the following:

Question- The Apple refurb store currently has :apple:TVs in there listed as follows:
40GB, $199, orig $299
160GB, $279, orig $399

The currently new prices for the machines are $229 and $329. Are the new ones updated machines or just price drops?

Thanks!!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
This is a frequently asked question, and I've been meaning to write up something on it.

The problem with the Apple TV is it's not a lifecycle type device. In that the Apple TV is more of an appliance. It does what it does. Plays iTunes content and that's that.

There's no reason for it to get a faster processor. There's no reason to ugprade its graphics hardware etc... Any feature upgrades can be done via software.

The only possibility is really a full revamp to make it a DVR or something and I don't think that's predictable, at least not in the usual way.

I'll write something about it soonish.

arn

Thanks. Maybe do something like date of intro, specs, date of upgrades, software update dates, etc.

:)

Crucial9

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
I think it's ridiculous that the Apple TV isn't in the buyers guide. It doesn't matter that there isn't a regular product cycle, if you're about to buy one and want to know if now is a good time to do so or if waiting would be a good idea, it would still help this decision to know if a new model was just released or if it's been out for a while.

Perfect example, 160gb model has been out for a while now, stores a currently in low or out-of-stock which means there may be a refresh coming soon (Jan 27th). If it were on the buyers guide one could easily see how long it's been in current revision and find out from stores that it's out of stock and put 2 and 2 together.

Please add this product already, it probably would take 20min of work for the webmasters and help hundreds of people instantly.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It would be a practically useless guide. No rumors are circulating, it's only 'a hobby,' and there is no existing product cycle because all that's changed in four years is the addition of a laughably small HDD upgrade.

Crucial9

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
It would be a practically useless guide. No rumors are circulating, it's only 'a hobby,' and there is no existing product cycle because all that's changed in four years is the addition of a laughably small HDD upgrade.

How can you make that argument, I just gave a very clear example of why it would be useful?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

Where have you been? Rumors have been circulating about the Apple TV for months including a TV subscription service with CBS and Disney content and a touchscreen remote accessory. Then there were the PA Semi/ARM rumors this past summer about a hardware revision.

The Apple TV should be added the Mac Buyer’s Guide even if only to alert members when the last changes to its SKU were made (the original 2008 price drop, introduction date, hard drive bump, etc).

Good grief, the Apple Cinema Displays are listed in the Buyer’s Guide and most of them haven’t been touched since 2006 (and really nothing major since 2004’s move to aluminum to match the PowerMac G5).

I would like to see Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme Base Station added as well.

Crucial9

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Exactly! I mean, what webmaster leg do you have to hump to have a few things added. I 2nd that the airports and time capsule should be added.

bartszyszka

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
New York, NY
Apple TV hardware not perfect

How can you say that when there were significant hardware changes between the old Apple TV and the new black one, and the new black one still only does 720p video? I've had a 1080p TV for 4-5 years now, a BD player with HD video from Netflix and Amazon, and I refuse to get the Apple TV until it gets 1080p video. If Apple wants to open it up for apps, especially games that require hardware acceleration, that would be another good reason for an upgrade.

So while I'm waiting for the next Apple TV to come out, it'd be good to at least know when the last one was released and how long before that the previous updates were. That's what I come to your buying guides for (your predictions for future releases I take with a grain of salt, because they're just speculation).

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
As the zombie thread is alive...What about the Airport Extreme Base Stations?
I have one of the old models, and I am looking to buy a new one, is there any rumors or expected update soon?
What has been their lifecycle?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.