Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Fearless Leader
macrumors 68020

Xserve/Powemac/MacPro for an Xserve Raid?

Ok, I do most all of my coding / video / picture / 3D word on my dual 1.8 G5. I riding this puppy as long as I can but its really starting to show its age for my high end work, and I never have enough disk space.

Anyways, I'm replacing it with an octo mac pro around September. I also want to get an Xserve Raid, but don't know if its the best choice. Right now I have about 2TB of stuff on so many external drives and I really think I could use all the space I could throw at it. Is there any reason to buy a new one direct from apple instead of a used empty one off ebay? Is there a cheaper something that I could stuff as much into?

Also I wanted to turn my G5 into a server. Personal file transfer, getting started with web coding. Is there any reason to not use the G5 or an Xserve, instead of the Mac Pro? If not I think I could sell the G5 for some cash due to its custom graphics card.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 01:08 AM   #2
chadi
macrumors member

What about an e-sata enclosure? Probably a lot cheaper than an x-serve.

http://www.usb-ware.com/sata-raid-5-sr-hdpro.htm would give you a ton of space...there is much cheaper solutions, have a look around that site. They seem to have a good selection (I have never purchased from them so I do not warrant them to be a 'good company' but it's a good starting point anyway).

Chad

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking