Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iN8

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
Here's the story:

The directory on my main drive got corrupted beyond being fixable DiskWarrior, TechTool et al. I had a clone of the drive on an external drive that I used to re-image my hard drive with Disk Utility's Restore feature..

Here's the problem:

Now all of the invisible folders ( etc, tmp, var ) are visible. How can I hide these again?

Thanks for your help.

iN8

Willehard

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2006
Helsinki
Here's the story:

The directory on my main drive got corrupted beyond being fixable DiskWarrior, TechTool et al. I had a clone of the drive on an external drive that I used to re-image my hard drive with Disk Utility's Restore feature..

Here's the problem:

Now all of the invisible folders ( etc, tmp, var ) are visible. How can I hide these again?

Thanks for your help.

iN8

open terminal
then rename the files like this: mv /etc /.etc

but maybe its not a good idea to do it this way, just noticed that the folders etc, var, etc. are visible in terminal but not in finder, dont know why...

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
open terminal
then rename the files like this: mv /etc /.etc

but maybe its not a good idea to do it this way, just noticed that the folders etc, var, etc. are visible in terminal but not in finder, dont know why...

Not a good idea to go renaming system files and directories if you don't know what you are doing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.